how can I tell my boss that I want to quit from the job?

My Happiness

Chanel is My Rehab
O.G.
Apr 7, 2008
When I started to work with him ,I sign the contract for 2 years and my contract will be end on this December 09.But In this June I will marry my fiance in europe and because of his carrer ,we think it'd be better for both of us when stay in europe. Now it is February and a few co-workers will finished the contract in mid-year too .

Do you guys have the best way to tell him ?
I'm so nervous and a little bit scare to tell.:sad:

thanks

You signed a contract so in theory he could hold you to it. It's always worth trying though and see what happens. Is this someone that you could approach and talk to him about your concerns and then if there's some compromise you two can come to? Maybe point out the projects that you finished or going to be done with so he wont feel like you abandoned him.

Just do it! I was very nervous giving notice for the first time, but the thing to realize is they are going to understand it's not personal. They pay you because you work and add value, not as a favor to you. You are doing what's best for you, and you have an extremely good reason -- much nicer than saying you just want to up and work somewhere else. As for the contract, no one can force you to work. Two weeks is enough.

Congrats!

was there any type of penality for early termination? if so, and both you and your fiance feels comfortable about it, i say go for the 2 week notice! Congrats on your June wedding in Europe :flowers:

was there any type of penality for early termination? if so, and both you and your fiance feels comfortable about it, i say go for the 2 week notice! Congrats on your June wedding in Europe :flowers:

thank you for you word.
I don't think there are any penality about the contract.
But I think my boss will feel bad because he 'd recently changed my work places to another branch ,which ofcourse ,I don't like it at all:shrugs:

Your boss should understand that sometimes things just don't work out. Explain to him your concerns and see if there's a compromise you can both come to. Best of luck and congrats!

Certainly you have a copy of your contract, yes? You need to read it and see what the terms are for early termination of the contract. Both you and your boss should abide by what it says in the contract.

Congrats on your wedding!

I would say something like "It's been a pleasure working with you, and though I wish I could work here until the end of the year, I will have to leave [in June] because I'm moving to Europe."

The move to Europe seems like it would make it difficult for your boss to enforce a contract.
Congrats on your upcoming wedding, by the way.

How about, "I am getting married and moving to Europe. Can we renegotiate the remainder of my contract?"

If they say yes they can negotiate, then groovy.
If they say no, then ask them how much notice they will need and pack your bags.

What kind of job do you have and why did you sign a 2 year contract? I know it's done in certain fields, but you really gave very little information. Did you receive a signing bonus in exchange for 2 years of work? What's the deal, here???

yup, if there's a sign on bonus etc, there might be a penalty (but u shd look for the "escape" clause to see what's what) but it's not like you re moving to a competitor, you're actulaly getting married! (yay congrats!) so they're bound to be less punitive. just talk to your boss first before giving a letter. soften him first, so to speak. good luck!

I had to tell my boss the same thing when I went I got married because we were moving to europe. He was very nice about it and he said take your time moving and you can work up till anyday you want. I was expecting the worst but he was happy for me that I was getting married. Just try to give him a timeframe of when you are moving and tell him you are sorry but you did not forsee leaving but you are getting married and leaving the country.

I have similar problem too.. I found another job.. I dont know how to tell my boss but I still hope he can be my future reference or issue me a reference letter...