The Fragility Of GM Shawls

mooks

May 4, 2007
I have two GM shawls both of which now have at least one pull. I'm having a hard time dealing with it and it is really bothering me that something that costs this much is so easy to damage.

How do you all feel when you see that first pull? Is it near impossible to avoid pulls? Do I need to learn to deal with it or otherwise stop buying them??

I think Sammyjoe may have known this thread was coming!

Reactions: viceversaloop
Moonks, sorry that this have happend and I dread the day this will happen to my shawls. Unfortunately I don't think this is avoidable since they are quite delicate and will happen sooner or later. So eventhough it is reallt hard I think we need to be able to deal with it or stop buying - alternatively be very selective when wearing. Haven't decided which route to take but they are lovely so right now I am taking the stand of trying to cope with it when it happens.

I don't look at them. The reason is this, when it happens in my clothing I go out and buy the duplicate of it--and this has happened many times, you would not believe the lengths I have gone to find the exact blouse in the right size. Anyway, the shawls cost too much for me to be able to buy a duplicate sooooo...I do not inspect my shawls for pulls. It would kill me too much. Believe me, it is not easy for me to do but for my financial and mental sanity it is a rule that I am keeping. What I don't know (Or see) will not kill me.

:smile:

I think it's bugged me so much because with both of them it happened the very first time I wore them and I can't even figure out how it happened, in some strange way if I could pinpoint when it was I could get my head round it and move on

I'm really sorry to hear about that mooks I know just how maddening it is albeit with a silk scarf. I got a pull in my new "Please Check In" 70cm vintage the other week I was SO cross :cursing: but then I thought to myself "OK it's done now can't change it so I'm just going to wear it like mad instead."
I don't think you can mend them so all you can do is just fold/drape it so it doesn't show, but you are right it is "poor" that something so dear damages so very easily, but that's the hazard of luxury fabrics I guess.

The thing is I have the LV Sprouse leopard scarf which was half the cost of an H GM and everyone said how fragile it was, I've worn mine LOADS and not a single pull!!

At first I was terrified of pulls, but when I realized that there was a pull in my pink Marwari just after the first use or so, I just had to let go of the fear. It also helped that the first mentions of the fragility turned up here in discussions at the same time. I realized it wasn't me, it was the shawl. Now, I have to admit that I still don't feel very comfortable with wearing the shawls around my kids (I've had my DD throw up on my white pashmina). Also, I fear stains and smells. Cigarette smell is my worst fear, thankfully smoking is no longer allowed in restaurants where I live (hardly anywhere anymore...?). But still, I'm not making any extra effort to protect/ baby my shawls. I used to be very protective of stuff, shoes, jewelry etc, but at some point I realized I was just wearing the ordinary stuff and not enjoying myself and then I just let go. Sorry for rambling, I think my advice is deal with it and wear it or don't get it at all.

I'm pretty careful with them, but I have pulls in two of them, my Brazil, I got caught in the prong of my wedding band the first time I went to put it on. It was awful!

I'm sorry to hear of your pull mooks. The first time is always the hardest, especially when the darn things cost so much! I think it is impossible to avoid unless you do not use the shawls, and that is not the purpose at all!

My bracelet caught a thread in the middle of my gris Ex-libris and a foot long was pulled out! I was adjusting my shawl on my left shoulder with my right hand, and moved my hand back to the table. Imagine my horror as a thread followed my hand...that was the fastest FREEZE I did. And the shawl was bunched up like a drawstring. I did manage to work it back quickly so there's just a bit of thread left over, like 5mm, so all is well.

I've learnt that it is best to get busier patterns so that you will not be able to see the pulls unless you search for it.

My mawari's pull, for example, gets lost in the pattern. However it is quite easy to find the pull in my gris Ex-libris as it's just one solid colour and it's easy to see imperfections. But now I just ignore and use it. Heck, life is short.

The thing is I have the LV Sprouse leopard scarf which was half the cost of an H GM and everyone said how fragile it was, I've worn mine LOADS and not a single pull!!

I got a pull on my LV Sprouse immediately and more to follow. It's full of them!

Most of my H shawls have them. It seems like some are more prone to them than others. I think I have two out of 12 that don't have any. They just don't wear well.

I got my orange Marwari last January. It's my oldest that I bought new. I've worn it a lot but certainly never abused it. It is full of runs and picks and pills ... I would feel a lot better paying such a high price if I knew they would last longer.

I thought the exact same thing, mooks. But I deal with it the way I deal with my bags - hairline scratches are inevitable. The pulls happen less when you fold them into thicker styles. If I just fold the shawl in half and drape it over me, I'm sure to get a pull somehow, somewhere.

Mooks, I am so with you on this one, I have a pull in 2 of my shawls, one was a really delicate loose weave cashmere shawl and when I bought it I did think this could be trouble. I still can't get my head round it because like you I don't know how it happened and they are such an expensive item. With this in mind I have decided I have to continue wearing them as it would be most of a waste if I just left them in a drawer.

I am more annoyed that they have started to bobble, like you get on cashmere or wool jumpers when wool is rubbed against something. I am not sure how to fix this and it actually looks more unsightly than the pull.

Has anyone else noticed this with their shawls?

Mooks, I am so with you on this one, I have a pull in 2 of my shawls, one was a really delicate loose weave cashmere shawl and when I bought it I did think this could be trouble. I still can't get my head round it because like you I don't know how it happened and they are such an expensive item. With this in mind I have decided I have to continue wearing them as it would be most of a waste if I just left them in a drawer.

I am more annoyed that they have started to bobble, like you get on cashmere or wool jumpers when wool is rubbed against something. I am not sure how to fix this and it actually looks more unsightly than the pull.

Has anyone else noticed this with their shawls?

Do you mean the piling? I just pick them off. For me, the itchy fingers girl, it's bubble wrap time! :P

Mooks, I'm so sorry. I just don't worry about them. I don't know if any of my shawls have runs or not. I don't examine them. If one was to show up after putting it on, I'd adjust how I wore it. End of story. :smile: