Coach being Taken Over by LVMH?

BTW...FP SA's are already "lecturing" customers about "make sure you like this purchase because Coach is starting to watch all returns." I was chatting with some of the SA's at FP the other day and got this info. So, just a note of warning, (1) try your things in the bag at the store to see if it will work for you (2) if you think "I'll take it home and look it over there to determine if I'll like it"...do more thinking at the store (3) if you must return a purchase, DO NOT remove the tags and return it quickly (4) and...don't, basically, return very many items. So...from I've heard, Coach is already getting stricter with their return policy! With Earnings way down, this does not come as a shock!

I think thats a good thing, people abuse their generous return policy too much.

It wouldn't mean that the price would increase. If anything, I'd guess that the price would decrease. Just because they're owned by the same company would not mean that the prices would be the same. In this economic climate, LVMH is probably looking for a more affordable acquisition to round out their holdings a bit. Raising prices on the items would be a bad business decision as the high prices are already a turn-off for many who are worried about money. You probably wouldn't see much of a price change at all, maybe a slight decrease.

Honestly it probably wouldn't impact the brand that much from a consumer standpoint.

Exactly. Perhaps Coach would fill a niche in their "portfolio." If it's working for Coach now, being purchased by LVMH isn't going to dramatically change their market or their pricing. LVMH is simply looking to own brands that serve a variety of *different* markets. No sense in buying Coach and "making it LV" since they already own LV! Each brand would serve its own respective purpose.

BTW...FP SA's are already "lecturing" customers about "make sure you like this purchase because Coach is starting to watch all returns." I was chatting with some of the SA's at FP the other day and got this info. So, just a note of warning, (1) try your things in the bag at the store to see if it will work for you (2) if you think "I'll take it home and look it over there to determine if I'll like it"...do more thinking at the store (3) if you must return a purchase, DO NOT remove the tags and return it quickly (4) and...don't, basically, return very many items. So...from I've heard, Coach is already getting stricter with their return policy! With Earnings way down, this does not come as a shock!
I know the outlets haven't because in fact I overhead a SA telling a buyer at the cash wrap who asked about the return policy that they really don't have one and you can return it whenever as long as tags are still attached and you keep the receipt.

I would guess that LVMH would expand Coach to European retail stores - IIRC it's not really sold anywhere there now. Beyond that, who knows what else they might do?

I know the outlets haven't because in fact I overhead a SA telling a buyer at the cash wrap who asked about the return policy that they really don't have one and you can return it whenever as long as tags are still attached and you keep the receipt.

I have always found the outlets to be nicer to work with...not that a person wants to abuse the system. I just like being with the outlet SA's alot better. My comment was about FP. I also know, as another person posted, that the FP SA's just love to say take it home, try it, order it, etc. But you walk back in with that bag and you get a different tune. I just know myself that I'm being very very careful what I buy...anywhere. Stores are getting harder to deal with.

I think thats a good thing, people abuse their generous return policy too much.
That is soooo true and I couldn't agree more.

My two cents...it's possible the quality will improve. Every LV and Fendi I own is top quality and I sincerely hope that some of the great quality control LVMH has in place will rub off on Coach. As for raising prices...doubtful since Coach appeals to certain base and I don't believe for a minute that LVMH wants to lose that base.

Here is my view from witnessing first hand what happens to a nice quality company that has been taken over by a large corporation. The Coach brand will eventually be absorbed into LV's culture and cease to really exist as a separate identity.
Kinda like the Borg. "Resistance is futile..." :borg1: <<I've been waiting so long to use that guy!

Wow!! All the negativity in this thread!!! :yucky: LVMH is quite an established group that owns a lot more than Louis Vuitton. I agree with another poster that mentioned them wanting to diversify their portfolio. Sure, I'm almost certain that changes are ahead for the brand but in my honest opinion, change should happen. Coach hasn't exactly stuck to the same quality they've been known for even a couple years ago. I'm sure there are just cost cutting reasons, but I think the integrity of the LVMH portfolio will only help the Coach brand in the quality realm if not others as well.

I'm not down talking Coach. I love my Coach bags as if they were my children. Let's see the obvious possibilities this could open for Coach in improvements instead of automatically assuming things will go downhill. LV hasn't gone downhill - why should Coach?

Here is my view from witnessing first hand what happens to a nice quality company that has been taken over by a large corporation. The Coach brand will eventually be absorbed into LV's culture and cease to really exist as a separate identity.
Kinda like the Borg. "Resistance is futile..." :borg1: <<I've been waiting so long to use that guy!

LOL! I agree about Coach assisting in the diversification of the LVMH portfolio....and lots of times brands retain their creative directors and CEOs...I think Reed is safe for the time being.

:borg: WE ARE THE [LVMH] BORG!

Wow!! All the negativity in this thread!!! :yucky: LVMH is quite an established group that owns a lot more than Louis Vuitton. I agree with another poster that mentioned them wanting to diversify their portfolio. Sure, I'm almost certain that changes are ahead for the brand but in my honest opinion, change should happen. Coach hasn't exactly stuck to the same quality they've been known for even a couple years ago. I'm sure there are just cost cutting reasons, but I think the integrity of the LVMH portfolio will only help the Coach brand in the quality realm if not others as well.

The only 'negative' comment I saw was made by a poster saying that Coach was "high school couture" and has only posted in the LV forum up until now......
A snide comment like that is not a good way to make your first post in another brands forum! :tdown:

IMO this merger is a business deal and nothing more.
Coach is known to be an affordable luxury and hopefully it will remain that regardless of if this merger happens or not.

I'm not down talking Coach. I love my Coach bags as if they were my children. Let's see the obvious possibilities this could open for Coach in improvements instead of automatically assuming things will go downhill. LV hasn't gone downhill - why should Coach?

You have made valid and thoughtful points in your post here, so I dont think that anyone is thinking that you are talking smack about Coach.
We are just genuinely concerned that if this merger does happen that the only thing that will continue to go up are Coachs' pricepoints.
But only time will tell.

LV hasn't gone downhill - why should Coach?

LV may not have gone downhill (*hugs Epi bags*) but Guerlain sure has, esp w/r/t their classic fragrances (*hugs vintage Mitsouko parfum*).

It really all depends on what LVMH's intent for Coach is, assuming they have one, and while it's true none of us here really know what that is (or isn't), change is rarely an entirely neutral event and it's understandable that anyone who loves the line as much as those of us who post here might be concerned. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Last edited: