Studio 54

Jul 2, 2006
Hi! I am a great fun of the studio 54 era:heart: . I love the whole concept of the club as well as the mystery behind the private parties held at private rooms. I love the fact that famous people couldn't get in whereas stylish hip young people could enter the club. I would like to ask you guys if anyone ever visited Studio 54?How was it like? Or maybe someone you know or a relative of yours has ever told you a story for this monumental clubbing place. I would love to know as much as possible for this unforgettable club:graucho: . Thank you...!!!

Attachments

• preview26.jpg
    preview26.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 100
  • preview45.jpg
    preview45.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 106
  • preview32.jpg
    preview32.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 81
  • preview37.jpg
    preview37.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 77
  • preview5.jpg
    preview5.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 76
My BF went there a few times! He's a native New Yorker and was in his late teens/early 20s in 54's heyday. I don't have a LOT of stories but I will ask him and post more! :graucho:

I went there in the early 80s with my sister and her husband as they lived nearby. I wasn't very impressed really. It was kind of cool inside, but not much was going on when we went. I was shocked that a mixed drink cost $9 and didn't like that too much!

I'm similairly obsessed, I just bought this

image1xl.jpg

I saw Cabaret in the theatre that it is now. I remember as I was walking into the theatre and looking up at the balcony, I was thinking, “People used to have sex up there!”

I got so interested in the place after the movie 54 came out. (SUCH a good movie! Ryan Phillippe is hot and Mike Meyers was amazing!)

They used to put drugs in the air conditioning vents so that everybody in the club could feel a high.

There’s a joke going around that if you can actually remember what Studio 54 was like, you never really were there.

Steve Rubell went on a talk show, saying things along the lines of “We make so much money, only the Mafia makes more . . . but I better not say anything else or the IRS might find out.”

One of the big raids of Studio 54 (the one that actually closed its doors) happened on my birthday: December 14, 1979.

More detailed a history on this link: Studio 54 @ Disco-Disco.com

I'm listening to the second soundtrack to 54 right now! (Before that, I was listening to the first one!) There are some really great songs (and I've italicized my favorite ones):

54 (Vol. 1)

1. Allstar 54 - The 54 Allstars
2. Keep On Dancin' - Gary's Gang
3. The Boss - Dianna Ross
4. Dance Dance Dance - Chic
5. Vertigo/Relight My Fire - Dan Hartman
6. You Make Me Feel ( Mighty Real) - Sylvester
7. Move On Up - Destination
8. Love Machine (Part I) - The Miracles
9. Contact - Edwin Starr Listen
10. Knock On Wood - Mary Griffin
11. Let's Start The Dance - Bohannon