New seller question re: paypal

Nov 25, 2006
I listed an item for the first time...it still has some time before it ends. I signed up for Paypal for the first time so that the payment will go directly to the account. What is the safest tips/steps to finishing the transaction when it sells?
I read some things here and I'll definitely take pics of the bag before I send it with insurance, delivery confirmation.
And so the payment will not go in my account until the buyer receives the item? I'm just a little worried because I've never sold things before through Ebay or Paypal.

Thank you!

I listed an item for the first time...it still has some time before it ends. I signed up for Paypal for the first time so that the payment will go directly to the account. What is the safest tips/steps to finishing the transaction when it sells?
I read some things here and I'll definitely take pics of the bag before I send it with insurance, delivery confirmation.
And so the payment will not go in my account until the buyer receives the item? I'm just a little worried because I've never sold things before through Ebay or Paypal.

Thank you!
Okay in terms of protecting yourself, here are some tips:

• Wait until the payment is "cleared" to ship. The PayP page will say 'ok to ship' when it's ... well ... OK to ship :smile:
  • Make sure you ship to the address that the buyer has registered with PayP (i.e., don't ship to any other address, even if the buyer asks you to)
  • If the total transaction (including S&H) is under $250, ship with delivery confirmation. If it is over $250, ship with signature confirmation. (The $250 threshold applies to the cost of the item + shipping, so if the buyer pays $230 for the item and $25 for shipping, you need to add signature confirmation). Following this rule is critical, as it impacts your PayP protection should something go wrong.
  • If possible add a security tag to the bag so that the buyer can't claim you sent her a fake, keep your real bag and mail you a fake one back in its place.
  • PayP may (or may not) hold your money for either 21 days or until the buyer leaves you positive feedback. When the funds are released, you will need to request them from PayP, either by having them deposit the money into a linked bank account (free) or by sending you a check (there is a fee for this, I think). If you don't request your money, it will just stay in your PayP account. As far as I know, there is no automatic sweep into your bank account with PayP.
That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. Other members might have some other tips for you. Good luck!

Don't mean to hijack your thread, shopgirl! I hope my question can help you as well since it's the first time I've encountered this and I am a relatively new seller.

The address that PayPal asks me to ship to says it's "Unverified". I've tried contacting the buyer thru email and Ebay to confirm the address and she has responded to neither. She paid almost immediately after I sent out an invoice. Do you think I should wait to send the bag? Would PayPal cover me if something goes wrong (knock on wood)? I said in my listing that I'd send it 48 hours after payment. Thanks!

Don't mean to hijack your thread, shopgirl! I hope my question can help you as well since it's the first time I've encountered this and I am a relatively new seller.

The address that PayPal asks me to ship to says it's "Unverified". I've tried contacting the buyer thru email and Ebay to confirm the address and she has responded to neither. She paid almost immediately after I sent out an invoice. Do you think I should wait to send the bag? Would PayPal cover me if something goes wrong (knock on wood)? I said in my listing that I'd send it 48 hours after payment. Thanks!

Unverified is okay. that just means they paid with a credit card and do not have their bank information on file (most buyers don't as it is only a requirement to get your sales money deposited through ACH transfer).

As long as it said ok to ship and address confirmed you would be fine.

I have used zip strips ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tie )
I bought a pack of like 50 of them at my local grocery store, the ones I got are in really bright colors like hot pink. Just tie them onto an area of your bag ( or whatever else you sell ) that the buyer can't remove. So, don't tie them on a bag strap or anything make sure it can't be removed unless you cut it off.
I also tied a little note onto the tie that said something like " This tie should ONLY be removed if you are happy with your purchase. I will not accept this item back if this tie is removed ".

You can read more about security tags in previous posts....
http://forum.purseblog.com/search.php?searchid=7607542

Thanks! What's the security tag and how does it work?

I have used zip strips ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tie )
I bought a pack of like 50 of them at my local grocery store, the ones I got are in really bright colors like hot pink. Just tie them onto an area of your bag ( or whatever else you sell ) that the buyer can't remove. So, don't tie them on a bag strap or anything make sure it can't be removed unless you cut it off.
I also tied a little note onto the tie that said something like " This tie should ONLY be removed if you are happy with your purchase. I will not accept this item back if this tie is removed ".

You can read more about security tags in previous posts....
http://forum.purseblog.com/search.php?searchid=7607542

Thank you!My listing actually says no return. I will go out and buy some because it just might sell. Should I put it on the zipper inside the bag? Hopefully i don't meet a bad buyer who takes it off and says something else!:smile:

Ok so my listing is ending in 3 hours or so. So I'd be able to find on paypal page that it's ok to ship my item? And I am registered with bank account-will I need to notify paypal right away to transfer money from P account to the bank account?

Thanks!

Thank you!My listing actually says no return. I will go out and buy some because it just might sell. Should I put it on the zipper inside the bag? Hopefully i don't meet a bad buyer who takes it off and says something else!:smile:

No put it outside of the bag . You can put it on the handle if the handles are not removable. If you put it on the inside buyer can wear the bag before returning because the tie is on the inside

Ok so my listing is ending in 3 hours or so. So I'd be able to find on paypal page that it's ok to ship my item? And I am registered with bank account-will I need to notify paypal right away to transfer money from P account to the bank account?

Thanks!

Yes it will say at the top of the paypal transaction page ok to ship. Then on the transaction page at the bottom add shipping info when you ship. When its delivered you should receive your money in a few days. Then click withdraw and withdraw the funds into your bank account whenfunds are availablel in paypal.

Yes if it is on the outside then she would look silly carrying it with tags on the handles or outside so once it is off then you could say she could not return it. leave the buyer a note saying that once the tag is cut off no returning the item.

Thank you!

YOU DO NOT SHIP THE ITEM UNTIL THE BUYER PAYS FOR IT AND IT SHOWS UP IN YOUR PP. THEN, WHEN IT IS THERE, YOU CAN TRANSFER IT TO YOUR OWN BANK ACCT AND IT TAKES 3-4 DAYS. THE WAY PP MAKES MONEY- THEY HOLD IT FOR INTEREST. AS A NEW SELLER, I WOULD ADVICE YOU TO SHIP WITH NOT ONLY DELIVERY CONFIRMATION BUT INSURANCE. ANYTHING UNDER $200 w insurance THE PO CAN LEAVE AT THE DOOR AND CONSIDER IT DELIVERED. SO ITEMS UNDER $200 I WOULD SHIP WITH DELIVERY CONFIRMATION AND SIGNATURE REQUIRED. COSTS A LITTLE MORE BUT SAVES A LOT OF HEADACHE. DELIVERY CONFIRMATION CAN BE TRACKED ON LINE. SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION AND THE BLUE LABEL FOR INSURANCE for items OVER $200 REQUIRES A SIGNATURE AS WELL, BUT CANNOT BE TRACKED ON LINE.

With Delivery Confirmation, they can dump it and consider it delivered. If the buyer protests with PP, I always felt I was not as protected as using the most lock proof method of getting cheated, short of an actual loss or damage.

Last edited: