Food Can I just say that low sodium prepared foods are yucky??

bellafleur

O.G.
Apr 26, 2007
Last week Whole Foods had a sale on low sodium soups and frozen meals, so I got a few to take to work for lunch. I never realized how important salt is to the flavor of ready-made foods!! I swear, the mushroom barley soup I tried was like eating... wet cardboard in swamp water! I had to dump salt into it to even stomach it! Does this mean I eat too much salt regularly, or does anyone else agree that low sodium foods are just nasty!:smile:

I get the Trader Joe's low sodium tomato and roasted red pepper soup which is pretty good. I think certain things are good, and certain things are not so good. Prepared foods in general aren't always completely healthy.

I get the Trader Joe's low sodium tomato and roasted red pepper soup which is pretty good. I think certain things are good, and certain things are not so good. Prepared foods in general aren't always completely healthy.

I agree they're not always healthy, but I only have enough time in my life to cook a "real" dinner. So, unless dinner produces some healthy leftovers (which is difficult with my BF, who eats a ton:smile:, I usually take an Amy's vegetarian frozen meal, a can of organic soup, or a Lean Cuisine for lunch. I figure I could be doing worse, like going out to eat for lunch. Anyway, I will have to try to Trader Joe's soup. I always get their regular soups, but I've never tried the low sodium. Thanks for the tip:smile:

i guess you have to get used to eating low sodium food (home made that is) before jumping to ready made food, it's all a question of habit...And obviously, readymade foods have loads of sodium to mask the taste)
I stay away from prepared foods in general cos they usually end up in the sink..

I truly believe that once you cut out salt from your every day diet and replace it with garlic, pepper and herbs, you won't think it tastes so bad. But, I do have to agree that anything that you buy that is prepared and processed without salt is blucky.

I agree they're not always healthy, but I only have enough time in my life to cook a "real" dinner. So, unless dinner produces some healthy leftovers (which is difficult with my BF, who eats a ton:smile:, I usually take an Amy's vegetarian frozen meal, a can of organic soup, or a Lean Cuisine for lunch. I figure I could be doing worse, like going out to eat for lunch. Anyway, I will have to try to Trader Joe's soup. I always get their regular soups, but I've never tried the low sodium. Thanks for the tip:smile:

If you get that soup and you're not used to low sodium yet, add some crackers to it. Then once you're okay with that, try it without the crackers. That's what I did. At first the soup was a *tiny* bit bland to me, but now I just love it. I think you'll get used to the low sodium eventually.