Info on being an SA?

CHmyloves

Hopelessly Addicted
Aug 6, 2008
Hi ladies!

I know this may not be the best time (economically) to be asking what it takes to be an SA, but I'm having a bit of a meltdown. I'm having an early life crisis (haha :P) as to what I want to be... I know I want something involved in fashion, I just don't know where to start. I'm trying to get my BBA... but I don't know what field I want to go into.

So, I was just wondering if any of you lovely ladies know what it takes to be an SA and if there are any requirements...

Thanks in advance.:smile:

it TOTALLY depends on where you want to be an SA.
Minimum requirements will be different in NM/Chanel/SAKS than it will be at Ann Taylor or Aeropostale.

I think the most important things are

-showing passion/love of the products you will be selling
-outgoing/friendly personality translating into ability to sell,sell,sell

a lot of times unfortunately it also depends on how you appear to the hiring manager so if he/she likes you you are a shooin but that applies to most jobs.

If you're in Vancouver and are fairly active (yoga, running, etc.), try to get a job at lululemon. Seriously one of the best companies to work for, INCREDIBLE advancement opportunities and their headquarters is located there.

on paper, I don't think there are any real requirements. It all depends on your passion, personality, and abilities-- things you can show your interviewer at your interview. As long as you can show you have an interest or will fit in with the company in some way, you don't really need any entry requirements or things like that.

An individual can be a great SA. One the is able to sell quite well, yet maintains wonderful relationships w/ clientele.

But also, the company that they work for can be $hitty...or treat them like dirt...which makes it hard for them to be a great SA. Like by not giving them good shifts to work (always making them close for example). Bombarding them w/ jobs that quite frankly don't allow them to develop their sales skills or even follow up w/ clientele. This hampers their abilities...

You just have to recognize as you're working...whether you are truly being given an opportunity or being "used and abused". If you're being "used and abused", get your experience and then get out of there. It happens a lot in the industry. I know...because I was misled by a manager when I worked in retail. Dragged on for months only to be strung along. And now that I reflect on it, it was just wasted time. The thing is...no one was able to tell me that.

Stay away from the common mall stores...Dillard's, Macy's, Sears, JC Penney, etc...

I worked for Dillard's and JC Penney while in college and turnover was crazy. Also, those are not the kinds of stores where you can build a loyal customer base. Most of the time, customers will go to the first SA they find, not the one who helped them before. Of course, there are exceptions; I had one customer who absolutely refused to deal with anyone else in my department at Dillard's. But that was one customer in three years! At the more upscale stores or specialty stores, you can build a steady customer base, which will help you in your career.

I was a manager of an upscale mall store for a few years before going back to law school, and I can tell you that a positive, outgoing personality was the most important quality I looked for. I didn't care whether someone had prior SA experience, just that they were bright, willing to learn, could strike up a meaningful conversation, and had a similar sense of style to the store's.

However, I can also tell you that working in retail is often NOT a way to get anywhere in the fashion industry. Unless you make it to the top of the merchandising or buying department in corporate, retail experience is not considered fashion experience. (just my opinion if anyone has other thoughts) So, I would say go for it if you're looking for an "in the meantime" type of job, or you want the discount at the store, or you're really passionate about it and decide to make it a career, which could lead to management opportunities.

Thanks everyone for of all your advice!

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clearer, but I meant an SA at Chanel etc. (Hearing problems us tPFers have had makes me want to do something! hahaha)

Thanks again everyone!:heart:

An individual can be a great SA. One the is able to sell quite well, yet maintains wonderful relationships w/ clientele.

But also, the company that they work for can be $hitty...or treat them like dirt...which makes it hard for them to be a great SA. Like by not giving them good shifts to work (always making them close for example). Bombarding them w/ jobs that quite frankly don't allow them to develop their sales skills or even follow up w/ clientele. This hampers their abilities...

You just have to recognize as you're working...whether you are truly being given an opportunity or being "used and abused". If you're being "used and abused", get your experience and then get out of there. It happens a lot in the industry. I know...because I was misled by a manager when I worked in retail. Dragged on for months only to be strung along. And now that I reflect on it, it was just wasted time. The thing is...no one was able to tell me that.

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you domlee, but I'm a firm believer in taking away from bad experiences and learning from them. Now you are able to help people by telling them what happened and giving advice! (Like me) :tup: