my FIRST LV, a mono speedy 40! but...no box?

lalalalove

O.G.
Jan 20, 2009
I just got my first new LV! I recieved a damier trevi pm as a gift, and although I think it's a beautiful bag, i prefer a more casual style, and I think the trevi can look a bit mature (I'm 27). I went to a boutique in LA, and tried out a few bags but eventually decided on exchanging it for the mono speedy 40.

I was debating between the 35 and the 40, and even called my mom in Korea to ask her opinion, haha. She has a mono speedy 35 and urged me to get the 40 even though I thought it looked a bit large for an everyday bag. She said it may look luggage-ish in the store, but when she's seen people carrying it out and about, it looked quite nice. so, i decided to listen to my mom and get the 40. She was all excited for me about my first LV, and was going on forever about how I can't touch the handles with my hands for months and months until the leather begins to age nicely. I made fun of her a bit, but truthfully, her LV collection is PRISTINE and the handles of all her bags are a beautiful, even, slightly shiny caramel color.

I was also tempted to buy a strap for it, even though the SA told me it's NOT to be worn with the speedy. I've seen it on the speedy before though, and love how it looks, even though I would probably mainly be using the handles. I just couldn't bring myself to spend $225 on a strap as an accessory, even though it's not even my money. is that silly or what? so I got a gift card with over $900 credit to use on a rainy day. I've been looking at all of the beautiful pictures posted of your LV purchases, and realized that my bag didn't come home with me in a box! She just put it in the cloth bag, and then in the brown LV shopping bag. I didn't really think anything of it, but that's definitely not normal, right? I'm kind of disappointed. Should I go back and ask for a box so I can store my bag in there when I'm not using it? While I'm there I may take a second look at that strap, too. It's totally not practical but I still kind of want it. OR, should i spend that money on the wapity instead? what do you all think?

Last edited:
Congrats on your 1st LV!

I usually tell them to keep the box because I don't store my bags in them anyway.

As for the strap, I don't use one on a speedy so maybe someone who does can help. I'd use the $900 to fund another bag and maybe a small wallet or the wapity!

Well, I think I may just suck it up and go ask for a box, even if I feel a little bit silly. It'll make my purchase feel more.. I dunno, authentic, or something, and i can always store my few other nice bags in it if I feel so inclined.

what're all your thoughts about a strap on a speedy 40?

Last edited:
I have a strap for my speedy 35 and 30. I don't use it often but in those emergency situations when my hands are full and I am with the kids, it has been a lifesaver. I wouldn't say that it looks the best, but it works! Its your bag, do what works for you! I would say a strap on a 40, worn across the body might be cool.

Congrats on your speedy!

Its funny because locally I have to request a box. But, whenever my husband buys something is SF he always gets a box. Actually, I remember his first LV purchase and he was so ticked that he spent nearly a grand and wasn`t going to get a box. lol. He now makes a nice display of all the LV boxes in our bedroom ;P