Help!! My ebay account was hacked!!

sona

Dec 24, 2008
So I was out for dinner.came back and this is an email I got from ebay!! And now I cant sign in to my account and I dunno who to call... any one have any numbers????? Petrified!!

We're writing to notify you that your account was taken over by an unauthorized person.

This person may have used your account to post listings on eBay, or to change some of your current listings. The email address on your account may also have been tampered with, which is why you may not have received any emails before this one.

***Please note***
We've taken several steps to secure your eBay account. All associated fees have been credited to your account, and any listings that were tampered with have been canceled. Your credit card information is stored on a secure server and can't be viewed by anyone.

***Securing Your Account***
We've sent you an email with instructions on how to change your personal email and eBay passwords. Please follow these instructions immediately. After you've changed your passwords, please change your Secret Question and Answer by taking the following steps:

1. Click "My eBay" at the top of most eBay pages. You may be asked to sign in.
2. Click the "Personal Information" link on the left side of the page. This link is located under the "My Account" heading.
3. Click the "Edit" link to the right of "Secret question", under the "Account Information" heading. For your security, you'll be asked to enter your User ID and password again.
4. Fill in the information requested.
5. Click the "Change Secret Question" button.

Finally, please verify that the contact information we have on file for you is correct. To verify your registration information, please follow these steps:

Do not follow any of the steps!!! The language of this does not 'sound' right.

Log on to ebay by typing the address in your browser. View your account in the usual fashion. if everything looks good then send the email you recieved to their fraud email address - you will find it on their website.

Atta girl.. now you will be fine. Keep breathin....
ALSO... when you get this mess cleaned up, log into MY EBAY, ACCOUNT, Personal INFO and sign up for a PIN so that in the future you can CALL when needed. (But, only until 10 PM, I see now... no late night phone service).

This isn't true, I just connected with Live Help and got a rep with no problem. Here's the page I connected from:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowCUPortal&_trksid=m38

That's not "Live Help" (the chatting system). That's the new system under "Contact Us" in which you choose your issue from a list or type it inside the box, and fBay will either give you answers or activate the Email Us, Call Us and Chat with Us links on the right side of the page.

Last edited:
ALSO... forward the email to [email protected] and TYPE IN BOLD that your account has been hijacked and you cannot sign into it. Give them your ebay ID.
Ebay usually responds to these forwarded spoof emails pretty quickly, so maybe they can help you faster than reg ebay email.

OOOO MY God!! What a nightmare! Thanks o much guys, just knowing I had some where to ask and so much support and advice! I got into chat and they helped me change my password. the only thing I did different today was to register with esnipe. Do you think that could be the problem? I also had listed a chanel bag that after asking here about selling on ebay I revised to BIN just to give me time to think if ebay is the right place to sell. Im just too freaked out to do it now any way!