Canvas or toile for a kelly

I was informed this is known as Crin du Cheval. Horse hair woven canvas.

attachment.php

canvas is toile. there is toile and then there is crinoline--

Actually, regarding canvas and toile, Hermes uses those two words for two different fabrications. Canvas is a cotton fabric with a flatter weave. toile, is a woven Belgian linen like fabric. I was once told that Toile was the same fabric used in fire hoses. Not sure if that is true, but you will find that the colored fabrics that are used in GP bags, for example, are canvas. The Kellys and Birkins use toile for the most part, though there are some older bags out there in green canvas. The recent bag on the finds thread, a Bolide, was a green canvas. IMO, toile is much sturdier and the recent bags have all been treated with stain repellents. I have 4 toile bags and love them. I find them very easy to care for. I have the horsehair in the flat weave and have no personal experience with the ridged version.

My Kelly looks like the bag that ms piggy has posted, except the leather is barenia.

< I have 4 toile bags and love them. I find them very easy to care for. I have the horsehair in the flat weave and have no personal experience with the ridged version.>

I'm a new convert to toile, and adore the look. Grace, can you tell me how you care for yours?

TIA! :heart:

CG

< I have 4 toile bags and love them. I find them very easy to care for. I have the horsehair in the flat weave and have no personal experience with the ridged version.>

I'm a new convert to toile, and adore the look. Grace, can you tell me how you care for yours?

TIA! :heart:

CG

They are all treated so really, not much to do. When a little passing dirt gets on it, I just use a cloth with a little mild soap and water and dab it off.

I have a Delvaux toile bag and the toile is identical IMO. I managed to spill a latte on that :crybaby:and used soap and water and it did not stain and turned out just fine.:smile:

CG:
I just purchased a Toile Kelly- Can the toile be pulled at all~ lets say from my doggie who loves to jump on you!!

Does your dog usually jump on your bags:P

It does not catch on things per se. I think any animal with claws who might be clawing the bag could do some harm. But that would be true of anything. Just jumping on it literally shouldn't hurt it unless it is a sellier and then I would be more worried about the structural integrity of the bag.

CG:
I just purchased a Toile Kelly- Can the toile be pulled at all~ lets say from my doggie who loves to jump on you!!

Amamxr, congrats on your new Toile Kelly! Sounds yummy! Unless your dog has VERY sharp claws, I wouldn't worry about the toile being pulled. However, I've had one of my togo Birkin purses scratched by one of my dogs jumping up on me when coming home. It really didn't do much to it.....I mostly rubbed it out with a little spit. :smile: :heart:

CG

Amamxr, congrats on your new Toile Kelly! Sounds yummy! Unless your dog has VERY sharp claws, I wouldn't worry about the toile being pulled. However, I've had one of my togo Birkin purses scratched by one of my dogs jumping up on me when coming home. It really didn't do much to it.....I mostly rubbed it out with a little spit. :smile: :heart:

CG

Ah!! a little spit polish works wonders!!:yes:
Thanks for the reply:heart:

They are all treated so really, not much to do. When a little passing dirt gets on it, I just use a cloth with a little mild soap and water and dab it off.

I have a Delvaux toile bag and the toile is identical IMO. I managed to spill a latte on that :crybaby:and used soap and water and it did not stain and turned out just fine.:smile:

Wow! Thanks, Grace, that's really good to hear. I haven't taken my new toile and barinia Bolide out on the town, yet, but am looking forward to it. :heart:

CG

I've been so tempted by toile. I'm just a bit afraid to make the plunge. I need to keep reading threads like this....
I have a feeling that the lovely GK is very....well graceful....and Rocker? well, not so much. I'm more of a clutz....

Does your dog usually jump on your bags:P

It does not catch on things per se. I think any animal with claws who might be clawing the bag could do some harm. But that would be true of anything. Just jumping on it literally shouldn't hurt it unless it is a sellier and then I would be more worried about the structural integrity of the bag.

Silly Grace!! :heart: Heaven's no- :nuts:
my little one still puppy stages- loves to jump on me when I get home- avoided a major scratch the other day on my box Kelly!!
Need to start watching the Dog Whisperer training is in order for that little pup:yes:

How do you know me so well? ;)

In truth, I'm eyeing that lindy from let trade for my summer bag....:confused1:

I have looked at that. It is very pretty and I could visualize you with it. How is this for a klutzy move...I am down in Florida visiting my mother with the 30cm toile/white clemence Birkin. She keeps her car outside so it is getting EVERYTHING on it. I am taking packages out of the car and manage to "wipe" the side of the car with my bag! OUCH! You guessed it, dirt on the bag and the leather. Just as I said, just took a towel with a little dish washing soap and went at it. Came right off and as good as new! I used the damp towel on the leather as well. A happy ending.

The only issue I can see is that you are a jeans girl, and I would be concerned about color transfer from an overdyed jean.