Buyer paid wrong amount, did I handle this right?

MiuMiow

O.G.
May 6, 2008
Had an item up for sale, got some offers but they did not come anywhere near the reserve price I had set. Have come to terms with the fact that this is going to be a huge loss for me and settled on the absolute lowest price I am willing to accept.

I sent a second chance offer to the highest bidder but she went and immediately paid her original - far too low - bid. I sent her a message explaining that the second chance offer was not accepting her original bid, rather offering her another price (still way below the reserve). Then I refused the payment on paypal.

My guess is she either never opened the second chance message ór she's chancing it. I completely accept her walking away from the auction and I did tell her so. The choice is hers now.

Did I handle this correctly?

Are you sure that you can adjust the second chance offer? I always thought it showed them the highest amoung that they bid and nothing more??? Just curious because I thought I tried to do that and it wouldn't let me.

I got a second chance myself some time ago and the seller specified a new amount in the note attached, it was acceptable to me and we had a deal. Figured that was how it worked, it all went through just fine on ebay. Really thought that was how it worker? Looks like my bad, I swear this auction is cursed.

I got a second chance myself some time ago and the seller specified a new amount in the note attached, it was acceptable to me and we had a deal. Figured that was how it worked, it all went through just fine on ebay. Really thought that was how it worker? Looks like my bad, I swear this auction is cursed.

I think the "note" is often overlooked. Bummer. Maybe try a fixed price with an OBO option? :confused1:

Yes, she is cancelling the offer. I understand. However, her reasoning is that the same item sold for £400 today (not through me). I felt I had to explain to her that the auction today was for an excess stock boutique item. This would have been purchased at £350, multiplied by 2.5 and plus another 30%. That seller made £50 profit. Me, I paid the full retail and I was sorry for her but I could not stomach an £850 loss, I find a £700 painful enough.

I dunno, the sale is lost but I just had to add that, not all sellers are in the same situation. Profits are just easier if you're starting from purchase price.