Peacock Feathers

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
I put this in General Discussion because it's about home decoration rather than the birds themselves.

I've always loved the idea of having a couple of peacock feathers in a vase in my apartment, but I'm reluctant because I'm pretty sure there's a superstition saying that it's a bad luck (or chi) to do that.

In other cultures, is there such a superstition?

Not that I'm aware of...I think it's a great idea! Peacock feathers are so pretty, with all the iridescent colors.There are superstitions in the Asian culture about birds perching on your house etc etc, but nothing about feathers.

I've had peacock feathers in a vase in my hallway (along with antique walking sticks!) for the last 6 years.

I'd say, my luck isn't great, but it's no worse than it always was (I've never been able to just glide through life unscathed, unfortunately)! :shrugs:

One of my ambitions is to be able to buy a big house and have (live) peacocks in the gardens! :lol:

I can't say I've heard of any bad luck that comes with peacock feathers. I owned one years ago but I have no idea what happened to it. This thread made me laugh because just a couple of hours ago I was watching the film 'six days and seven nights' where they get lost on an island and end up having to eat a peacock.

I haven't heard any superstitions about peacock feathers. I think they look great in a vase. Just remember to get a really good, firm grip on the little buggers tail and tug hard before he runs away! ;)

I can't say I've heard of any bad luck that comes with peacock feathers. I owned one years ago but I have no idea what happened to it. This thread made me laugh because just a couple of hours ago I was watching the film 'six days and seven nights' where they get lost on an island and end up having to eat a peacock.

My family and I were touring Hampton Court Palace, and we walked by the kitchen. You know how in museums they show a 'busy' room, like the room was in use, but the people stepped out for a while? Well, they showed a 'busy' kitchen . . . . and a peacock on a platter on the butcher block table! Tail feathers and everything! They figured out a way to take the feathers off, cook the bird (and stuff it . . . stuffed peacock was a popular dish) and put the feathers back on, keeping the tail intact so that it hung off the platter.

I have to admit, I've never tried peacock. I've tried goose, and I'm really fond of duck.

Haha, Cal, or I could just go to the Playboy Mansion, follow the peacocks around, waiting until the feather falls out and . . . "Yoink!"