girls in school/college: how can you afford luxury-bags?

The government pays for your school completely in Aus?

I don't worry about tuition, since we have a system called HECS which the government paus ur tuition until you can pay them back. You only have to pay it off once you start earning about $42,000AUD annually. I have a pretty good job for my age (i'm a public servant) which I work part time during the semester and full time during the holidays. I live at home and don't pay board. My parents take care of living expenses. I don't drive because I hate it, but my parents would pay for my car if i ever want one.

So I don't spend my money on a hell of a lot, just fashion mainly. I don't really have to worry about affording designer bags. I can pay for them in one lot with my own money without having to resort to the dreaded credit card payments (with the ridiculous interest charges). Not that I go crazy with buying designer bags, I just have a select few.

I'm not rich or anything, I just spend wisely.

I'm 30 and I'm in college. Many of the girls at my school carry designer bags. For me, I buy my bags myself. We have an outlet mall nearby and I often find great deals on Dooney & Burke, Coach, etc.. as do many of the girls at my school. Most of the girls I know only have one or two great bags. I have a Chanel that I bought for my 30th b-day but I never take to school and its the only one I own. I do see Chanel, Prada, LV, and other premium designer goods at school and I don't know how some of the girls afford them. I know a girl who has about seven different Chanel bags.
My school is paid through scholarships and grants that I work very hard to get. When I transfer next year I will have to start taking out loans as I plan to attend a very expensive private catholic university.

The government pays for your school completely in Aus?

Yeah the HECS system here allows you to "borrow" a heavily discounted university fee with no interest and the whole fee will be deducted from your tax once your income passes a certain threshold.

But in reality, it's not as good as it sounds (IMO). The average undergrad course here is expensive, especially if you go to University of Sydney or New South Wales. Say it's around 6000 per year for 3 years minimum. (This is after the government discount, its called the commonwealth help or something along those lines) That's a total of 18,000. There is no "interest" as i said earlier, but there IS an increase in the debt incurred each year. This is matched against the consumer index increase... in other words, inflation. If everything else in the economy is increasing in price, the government would also want to get the most our of the debt that is owed to them.

I personally only had about 7000 in HECS debt so I paid it off in one go and got 700 bonus back (10% bonus deal). but if I had 18000 oweing and I let them take it out of my tax each year they'd be doing that for a very long time because the 18000 debt will increase by a tiny bit each year and after say 5 years it may well have increased to 19000. My debt was originally 6800 but in one year, it incurred a 3.4% increase and when i asked the government why, they told me it was due to increase each year coz of inflation. but i understand why most people let the govenrment take it out of their tax because its so hard to pay off 18000-20000 in one go. unfortunately, not many of us hold that much cash in our bank accounts (i can only wish...)

I only have a couple Balenciagas and one Marc Jacobs

I'm fortunate that my dad (Sort of haha) understands my obsession. Sometimes i'll save up my extra cash and give it to him but otherwise i'm lucky that my parents will buy these things for me.

I need a job so bad.

oh and to stay on topic, i recently quit university when i realised i could work as an ea and make twice the money that all my friends will make when they graduate and this is how i fund my luxury items :yes:

I have a great job working in the oil and gas industry while going to school. I live at home while going to school too. Oh, and I'm in Canada, and my university tuition isn't nearly as much as in the US.

I'm 18 yrs old, and I'm a freshman in college, my father, and I made a deal that if I keep very good graded while I'm in school, he would pay for everything...I'm terribly spoiled.:rolleyes: I have a job, but I use the money for my cell phone bill, gas, and other monthly expenses. I do save money, but I have to put the money I save into a savings account. I too am lucky school is paid for.

When I was a student, I sold things on eBay to fund my habits and would limit myself strictly to spending only what I made.

Strangely, now that I have a real income, I have fallen lax on that rule... :P

Parents, they pay for everything since I don't work. I'm asian, I know a lot of girls who are in the same situation too. If you think we're spoiled, we give up 100% of freedom and choice in terms of what we want to do in life and how we want to do it. So it does come with a hefty price tag =)