Is it weird that an Hermes SA.....

Luccibag

O.G.
May 11, 2006
Ok I was at Madison Avenue Hermes yesterday (Saturday) and I was talking to a friend and then an SA walked over to me with her customer to point to my 35cm Birkin bag. She said "excuse me" as she tapped me on the shoulder and said "this is a 35 cm Birkin". :faint: I kind of froze, I was taken aback so I didnt know if she was going to ask to see my bag or touch it, etc.

Has this ever happened to you? Should I have offered to let her hold it? Yikes, I probably was dreading that! I kind of just stood there. Was I being a snob? Should I have been more helpful? Has this ever happened to you? What would you have done? Maybe its a common thing at Hermes? No one ever did that before but I usually dont have my Birkin with me. I usually bring my Kelly bags to the city.

As they were walking away I heard the SA say "no, we dont have any 35 cm Birkins in the store".

Oh, that's nice of you RC. I guess I would have if they asked me. I just wasnt sure if I was supposed to just hand it over or something hehe. I guess since there is rarely birkins around they probably would appreciate holding one ! Mine was so heavy that day Im sure it would have scared them off of the 35cm!

It's happened to me only the SA that did it misspoke and told the customer it was a 35cm when it was actually my 32cm HAC. I didn't say anything as I didn't want to embarass her (SA).

I think it's nice that they walked up to you to let you know what they were doing instead of talking on the other side of the store while looking your way. Now THAT would have felt odd to me.

I have never had an SA ask me to look at my bag. However, I have had customers ask what size my birkin or kelly is. I usually let them model it for size if they have asked politely. I have had several occasions there the person asking was quite rude. I simply tell them what size and color my bag is and go along my merry way.

I've had my bag on the counter in the H store and had a customer think that it was available to purchase (even full). I just laugh it off if the customer is nice and not rude and let them "try it on."

Yes, that's pretty normal, especially in stores that don't have birkins in all sizes in stock to show clients. It can be kind of flattering in a way, don't you think, Luccibag? Some people are extremely touchy about letting a stranger handle their birkins/kellys, but I don't mind most of the time.

Once when my bag was sitting at the edge of a counter and I was a couple of steps away talking to my SA, two women came up and peered closely at it. My SA and I kept an eye on them as one of them picked it up to look at it more closely.

'Wow! It's so heavy!' she said.

My SA's eyes bugged out at this point, and I turned to the woman and said, 'Well, that's because it has all my stuff in it.'

The woman said, 'Oh!' and then proceeded to take my contents out and put them on the table.

My SA's jaw dropped open. I think mine did too, actually.

Then the woman, still holding my bag, asked me, 'How do you get these straps to close? Or are they not supposed to close?'

I gently took the bag from her and demonstrated. 'Just like this, you see? And you secure it with the turn lock.'

'Ohhhhh, I see,' said the woman. And at that point she reached out to take the bag back, and looked at me strangely when I didn't give it to her.

'And this one, I'm afraid, isn't a store sample,' I said. 'It's not for sale.'

She frowned at me in surprise. 'It's not? Why not?'

'Er... well, because it's mine.'

So THEN the other shoe dropped, and she finally realized what was going on. And apologized. Profusely. And we all had a good laugh. But really, I didn't mind. Usually customers are just curious so as long as you keep an eye on your bag and its contents, it's probably fine!

I think she really was. But she seemed really nice and just curious, I didn't want to jump at her for picking up the bag. If she'd been looking to walk out with it, that would have been a different story! :smile:

Ok I was at Madison Avenue Hermes yesterday (Saturday) and I was talking to a friend and then an SA walked over to me with her customer to point to my 35cm Birkin bag. She said "excuse me" as she tapped me on the shoulder and said "this is a 35 cm Birkin". :faint: I kind of froze, I was taken aback so I didnt know if she was going to ask to see my bag or touch it, etc.

Has this ever happened to you? Should I have offered to let her hold it? Yikes, I probably was dreading that! I kind of just stood there. Was I being a snob? Should I have been more helpful? Has this ever happened to you? What would you have done? Maybe its a common thing at Hermes? No one ever did that before but I usually dont have my Birkin with me. I usually bring my Kelly bags to the city.

As they were walking away I heard the SA say "no, we dont have any 35 cm Birkins in the store".

I personally think it's weird but from my own experience there and if you read old threads about this topic, this type of occurence is all too common.:tdown:

I've had my bag on the counter in the H store and had a customer think that it was available to purchase (even full). I just laugh it off if the customer is nice and not rude and let them "try it on."

this hapened to me in Bordeaux at the H store and well it's ok. I didn't get upset as no harm no fowl.

I've had similar stuff happen to me from different items so it's ok as long as it's harmless and not a criticism or a putdown\

Hmmm...i would mind a LOT if somebody was holding MY bag...just because they are my babies...friends and people i do know...maybe i dont mind that much...but to have a stranger hold the bag...no sorry.