totally got ripped off on ebay.

lolabug

O.G.
Sep 9, 2008
so my very first time using ebay and it's been an utter disaster! i won an auction for a marc jacobs silvana handbag (which i'd been searching for forever), paid the amount thru paypal and emailed the seller to confirm everything. i don't hear from her in almost a week and she tells me she had some "issues with paypal" since it was her first time, but she got it figured out and she's sending me the bag that day and she'll give me a tracking number. so that was four weeks ago. i never got the tracking number, i obviously never got the bag and have filed a dispute (now a claim) thru paypal.

now the time has passed for the seller to resolve thru paypal and still, nothing. i call paypal and they tell me i am covered up to $200, but i paid $500 for the bag! (that is, if the seller doesn't have the amount still sitting in her paypal account).

does this mean i am out $300??! i mean, i'm dealing with a scam artist, clearly, but am i supposed to assume the $500 is sitting in her paypal account and she'll just give it back?

has this happened to anyone else? btw, seller's name is "couturecouture21" - do NOT buy from this person!

If her seller coverage is low, that is the amount you are guaranteed if you win the case. If you paid by credit card you could call them and explain and they could chargeback the full amount. Good luck and keep us posted.

It sounds like you will have to do a chargeback on your CC. Never buy more than what the Paypal coverage is. This is supposed to change later this year, and I believe we won't have to worry about the coverage limit.

If her seller coverage is low, that is the amount you are guaranteed if you win the case. If you paid by credit card you could call them and explain and they could chargeback the full amount. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi,

I hope you did pay by credit card. If so, you need to call your card company today and explain the situation.

Get all your information together - Paypal transaction number, auction number, including any emails from the seller.

Never deal with a 0 feedback seller. I know everyone has to start somewhere but most of the time it's a disaster.

Good luck. You need to get your money back from this scammer.

:sad:

Which brings up a question... how DO you pay with CC on eBay? Unless the seller has a specific CC account option (not many do), I pay through Paypal and the money comes out of my checking account with a credit card to back it ONLY if there isn't' enough money in it. I'm thinking that was the only way to set it up so I had a confirmed address with paypal... confused here... anybody?

ugh, this has been such a nightmare. i don't think i'll ever use ebay again....calling my credit card company right now! thanks for the feedback, everyone...

Which brings up a question... how DO you pay with CC on eBay? Unless the seller has a specific CC account option (not many do), I pay through Paypal and the money comes out of my checking account with a credit card to back it ONLY if there isn't' enough money in it. I'm thinking that was the only way to set it up so I had a confirmed address with paypal... confused here... anybody?

This is how Paypal screws people. There is an option to change your funding to CC instead of checking, but you have to change it EACH time.

My personal opinion, unless you need the checking account on there to deposit money FROM Paypal, delete the checking account.

actually, now paypal gives you the option of enrolling/paying directly thru a credit card (as opposed to just straight from your checking/bank account). i guess for this very reason..?!

actually, now paypal gives you the option of enrolling/paying directly thru a credit card (as opposed to just straight from your checking/bank account). i guess for this very reason..?!

I am not sure what you mean? It still uses my checking account at the default for my selling account each time.

Do you mean just signing up for a Paypal account, yes you can just do it with a CC now. However, if you ever want to withdraw the money you need a bank account listed, or you would have to get a check from them.

well, this has been my only experience with ebay & paypal and i did register on paypal using a credit card, so i guess there is some insurance (as a buyer) this way. but yes, i can see your point (as a seller), that you'd need to have a bank account registered to withdraw funds/receive payment.

I am not sure what you mean? It still uses my checking account at the default for my selling account each time.

Do you mean just signing up for a Paypal account, yes you can just do it with a CC now. However, if you ever want to withdraw the money you need a bank account listed, or you would have to get a check from them.

I have my bank account and my credit card on Paypal also. When I pay for anything expensive I always use my credit card.

You have to look closely and you will see "more funding option". Click on that and choose "pay with credit card". Paypal makes it difficult but you can do it.

You just have to remember to change those funding options EACH TIME you want to use your credit card, because it will go back to the "default" which is your bank account.

:smile:

well, this has been my only experience with ebay & paypal and i did register on paypal using a credit card, so i guess there is some insurance (as a buyer) this way. but yes, i can see your point (as a seller), that you'd need to have a bank account registered to withdraw funds/receive payment.

Registering is different than paying with a CC. If you have a checking account on file that is always the primary method of payment, as others have said YOU have to change the funding option everytime you go to pay for something if you want to pay with your CC instead. Always do this so that you have the chargeback option if necessary. If it came out of your bank account you are SOL.

well, i just got off the phone with my credit card company and paypal and it looks like i got lucky today, ladies. while the seller never responded to any of paypal's inquiries, they ended up giving me the full amount back (minus the shipping, which is annoying, seeing as how nothing was ever shipped!), because the money was still sitting in her account. i'm guessing the seller changed her mind and just didn't have the decency to let me know. i think i'll stick to dept stores from now on :smile: