what to do? pregnant friend insists i go to baby shower even though im sick ....

Sep 5, 2008
I havent seen these friends in over a year and really wanted to see them today , theres a baby shower for one who is preggers with twins!
But i started getting sick yesterday and texted preg friend i might not come cuz i dont want her to get sick, and she kept insisting that i do come even if sick or else she would be very upset
im sorry but im even MORE sick today, and i do not want her or anyone else getting sick because of me. i understand they will all think im flaking out again since i am always too busy to hang out with them but id rather have them angry at me then sick because of me

what do u think?

what should i do/say?

Tell her you are too sick to go, apologize and then offer to take her to lunch next weekend. If you are truly ill, it is better you don't go. But, at least by making firm plans with her she will know that you are interested in seeing her and celebrating.

Tell her you are too sick to go, apologize and then offer to take her to lunch next weekend. If you are truly ill, it is better you don't go. But, at least by making firm plans with her she will know that you are interested in seeing her and celebrating.

yes! thats a good plan, i just asked her this....

ah no, she still insists i come today :sad:

i feel horrible but i cant do anything else

No No No, Last thing a pregnant woman needs is to be is sick! They are miserable because they can't take normal medications when they are sick. You are right! I got the flu last year while I was pregnant and I could not shake it for a while. Plus, it about you getting better..

It sounds like your friend is being rigid here... which means that there is probably something else going on. You stated that your friends feel like you have been blowing them off and maybe you need to address this point with your friend.
I know you feel bad but your friend cannot force you to go.
At this point, I would call and say I was unable to make it, understand her disappointment and try to schedule a time to talk.

thnx everyone, ur right cfred, i havent met up with 'the girls' for a long time now...
im just too busy

i tried calling twice and no answer :sad:
i did leave a message tho

im gonna stay home, i wont make anyone sick that way

I would just go for like 10 minutes, and don't touch anyone or anything. That way the mom-to-be is happy and you can just go back home after. Congratulate her, drink some soda, then say goodbye.

279875-xs.jpg

I would go for 20 mins, if I were you. Make sure not to touch anyone/anything, tell her you don't want to get anyone sick, esp. not while pregnant, and look miserable. That way your friend will know you care about her, even though you haven't been available much.

Stay home and get better. No use going if you are sick and you would definitely not want to get a pregnant woman sick!! In fact, don't get anyone else sick who's attending the shower. Get better by resting, drinking fluids and take medicine if you have too. Make plans to visit with your friends after you are over your cold. Hope you feel better soon!

This reminds me of co-workers who insist on coming to work when they are sick. I always wind up catching a cold from a co-worker and then I wind up giving it to my DH. Better for the sick person to just stay home and rest instead of infecting their fellow co-workers.

I would not go. The last thing a mom about to give birth needs is an illness of any kind....plus it's possible you'd get some of the people at the shower sick and these same people would be likely to go around the baby .... it's a never ending chain of germs! haha Stay home!:yes: