Price Rationalization, bags vs costume jewelry vs RTW

personally, I don't buy costume jewelry...even if it's Chanel. I just cannot 'justify' purchasing it. BUT, I can justify the gorgeous bags and clothing on sale. I have purchased some rtw, not on sale, and have worn these items a lot.

I didn't mention it from an affordability stand point either. IMHO, the 36" strand of pearls was hard enough to swallow at $695 but I can't get myself ot pay more than that. I also couldn't bring myself to pay $300 for the CC earrings. I don't think it is really so much how it is justified but simply that I find it crazy. Whether I have the money or not, I just think that as far as costume jewelry goes, it is so easy to find fairly decently quality for $50-ish depending on what you want. I purchased a very long string of costume pearls from Nordstrom for $55, the pearls are huge, the qualit is great and sadly, it blows Chanels out of the water. The only thing missing would be the CC logo. I think that just because you can afford Chanel doesn't mean that you will just wildly throw money at anything just b/c of the name. I'm not suggesting it is right or wrong, merely, I totally understand where you're coming from.

I hear you. I just am curious why they price the costume stuff the way they. Every other part of Chanel starting from Haute Couture all the way down to a tube of lipstick had a direct competitor - say Dior or LV for examples.

However I can get sterling silver from Dior or Gucci or even LV for LESS than plastic from Chanel. How they managed to make these items so desible is a marketing wonder. I fell for it.

Jewelry, I just bought the carousel single strand with the glass beads and am thinking I'm insane. I have several necklaces and this is the first long strand that has cost a wad of money. I probably won't go down this road again but there's something about the carousel.

J, you finally got a carousel!:nuts: Welcome to the Carousel Craze Cult!! Yes... There's definitely something about that darn carousel.:yes: Please post pics of your pricey but fabulous carousel for us. Many are so curious of how it looks because not many places got the single strand version.

ETA : J, if you think you are insane, I must really be put in a mental hospital. As you know, I'm also in carousel craze cult. But what's worse in my case is the fact my bank account is probably nothing compared to yours.:sweatdrop:

Last edited:
I hear you. I just am curious why they price the costume stuff the way they. Every other part of Chanel starting from Haute Couture all the way down to a tube of lipstick had a direct competitor - say Dior or LV for examples.

However I can get sterling silver from Dior or Gucci or even LV for LESS than plastic from Chanel. How they managed to make these items so desible is a marketing wonder. I fell for it.

I don't know how Chanel does that costume jewelry magic either, but I think maybe it's the CC logo itself and the design of the costume jewelry that appeal to us? While I don't think I am willing to pay 2 grand for a Chanel costume necklace (unless a truly gorgeous piece really draws me to it), I do have quite a few Chanel costume jewelry pieces that I really like. I don't know why, I sometimes look at the Dior costume jewelry, but I just don't feel for any of those.
While I don't find all Chanel RTW very wearable or priced reasonable, I am very drawn to this 08A Fall/Winter collection and even bought 2 jackets so far (1 full price, 1 with huge discount). For me, I think it's the design and the extraordinary details in these RTW that makes me willing to pay big buck for them. Of course, since I love these RTW and believe they can withstand the test of time, I expect I will wear them for many years to come.

Oh, by the way, I remember some articles/members are saying that people tend to feel happier for buying higher-priced items (to fulfill one's desire in successful feeling and accomplishment?). I think it's quite true that we are partially buying into the Chanel 'history/myth.'

Last edited:
based on personal experience, i can definitely justify purchasing the bags-- i've had no problems with all of mine and most of my pieces are 'classic', and i can see myself using them for years to come.

Chanel RTW isn't quite my style, but from what i've seen at the boutiques, and on friends, the quality and workmanship of some of the jackets and blouses are impeccable-- so i think the price point is justifiable, in a way.

Chanel costume jewellery however, is an entirely different matter! I own quite a number of pieces of costume jewellery, and no matter how careful i am with them, they've all lost beads/crystals here and there-- very unimpressed with the quality, especially for the price i've paid. In fact i'm so paranoid about 'ruining' them further that i don't actually wear them out any more. Based on my past experiences, coupled with the ever increasing prices, i would definitely rather spend on proper jewellery-- for the same/similar price, you can even get diamonds :drool:

i am in love with chanel pins. but i prefer the simple ones. no crystals or fluff. pretty, but it stresses me out. not to mention i have a 500.00 cap, so, it's kind of impossible anyway. but, when i see one i love, i don't hesitate... even though it isn't more than a glorified bobby pin. heh

Kodi-

Okay seriously, if you don't want to pay 2k for a costume necklace, then don't.

I'm so tired of hearing people complaining about Chanel costume jewelry being expensive blah blah blah. Yes it's plastic, yes it's crystal or surgical metal, so what? Chanel isn't exactly pointing a knife at you and forcing you to buy costume jewelry, no? When you buy costume jewelry, you buy it for its design, not for what it's made of. Labels like Lanvin, Marni, Yves Saint Laurent, Burberry Prosum, amongst many others, they all make costume jewelry, and they're not cheap. It's the design that makes it worth its price. If you're comparing Claires' costume jewelry to Chanel's, well yeah of course Chanel's will be 10x more expensive.

As of today, Laetitia Crahay is in charge of designing all Chanel accessories and costume jewelry. I think you people should really appreciate the time and effort she puts into creating these one of a kind pieces. If you prefer buying gold and silver, go ahead and do so.

I'm so tired of hearing people complaining about Chanel costume jewelry being expensive blah blah blah. Yes it's plastic, yes it's crystal or surgical metal, so what? Chanel isn't exactly pointing a knife at you and forcing you to buy costume jewelry, no? When you buy costume jewelry, you buy it for its design, not for what it's made of. Labels like Lanvin, Marni, Yves Saint Laurent, Burberry Prosum, amongst many others, they all make costume jewelry, and they're not cheap. It's the design that makes it worth its price. If you're comparing Claires' costume jewelry to Chanel's, well yeah of course Chanel's will be 10x more expensive.

As of today, Laetitia Crahay is in charge of designing all Chanel accessories and costume jewelry. I think you people should really appreciate the time and effort she puts into creating these one of a kind pieces. If you prefer buying gold and silver, go ahead and do so.

I think the OP who started this thread wanted to see how everyone 'rationalises' their Chanel purchases, be it bags, RTW or jewellery and for the most part i think everyone has done that-- i really don't really see it as complaining, because everyone has basically stated their reasons as to why they buy/don't buy various chanel items. And while i'm not familiar with the prices of costume jewellery from other design houses, some people have already mentioned that chanel's prices are much steeper than say, LV/Cartier (which i'm sure isn't cheap either).

That said, i do think that most of the costume jewellery designs are very, very exquisite (a good example of this is the carousel range, and the le duc range, by golly they are droolworthy :drool:), but because of my personal experiences with owning chanel costume jewellery, combined with the price tag nowadays, i can't justify or talk myself into buying them any more (unless its a design i truly, truly can't live without :sweatdrop:). Like you said, "if you don't want to pay 2k for a costume necklace, then don't", and i think a lot of ladies are actually doing that. Plus, I think everyone's entitled to their own personal reasons as to why they choose to spend (or not spend) on any chanel item, y'know? If you personally love the jewellery and are willing to pay, then by all means keep buying them! Even though I don't really buy chanel costume jewellery any more, i still love to admire everyone's breathtaking sparkly purchases when they share photos with everyone on tPF :smile:

I promise to add a pic of the single strand carousel soon and at some point will post pics of the beginning of my addiction to Chanel -- vintage earrings which was all I could justify/afford at the time. They're packed away,the house is in chaos as my home office is undergoing major renovation. I can now look out a door to the pool and garden!

But to the thread here, I want to add some more fuel for thought, especially the rtw. The detail to construction is not to be denied as is the fantasty fabrics which take my breath away, literally, as does the price tag. I'm willing to gamble on getting a desired piece on sale or finding it on ebay later. The reason being is the clothing, for the most part, does not hold the value like the classic flaps and reissues and a few other classic styles. I did suck it up and get the heavy Sport cardigan jacket as it was below $2K and something I will get to wear a lot. Due to it being less expensive, if I waited for sales my size would probably not be around.

As for the few necklaces, I have real pearls but I like fun, pieces too. When I lived in big cities and walked or took public trans, I often made sure my left hand was in a pocket or the diamond on the engagement ring was turned downard. Why tempt. I was tall and always made sure I was in the now and not daydreaming but there are desperate people. I've been followed a few times and believe me it's a very unsettling feeling and one that requires assessing the situation and finding an out. That's why some women prefer to wear costume jewelry and save the real for more formal, hopefully safer, events.

I personally will not be buying anymore Chanel costume jewelry based on my personal experiences with it. I am very careful with my pieces but yet the stones fall out after only a few wears. I do think a lot of their pieces are beautiful but not worth the inflated prices that they charge based upon their quality. I agree that costume jewelry was meant to be "fun" and not have the worries that are related to fine jewelry. I find it stressful wearing those pieces worrying if the stones will fall out because I spent a fortune on a "fake" pearl necklace. With that said..yes we choose to buy what we want and when we choose buy these pieces we realize they are not "real" but that does not mean that we expect it to fall a apart or have stones missing like they do for that amount of money. The expectation is that the Chanel costume jewelry would be of better quality and last longer than say a piece from Nordstroms's or Target or wherever - and this is to whom said to quit complaining about the prices and quality. Some of my Target stuff is made better than Chanel and this is the truth.

I would rather buy real stones and real metals. As far as handbags....I think we have all accepted the inflated prices of bags and can justify spending on bags because they are leather and they are for the most part made better. However, I have a HUGE problem with the fact that my SA tells me to hurry up and get something if I really want it because of the price increase coming up. It's the same bag they have carried for years but the price keeps going up!!! This is nothing more than corporate greed and is quite insulting to me as a customer of Chanel. We all buy it but they must really think we are stupid to keep buying the same item each year with their inflated prices.

There is a point for me that I will stop purchasing Chanel bags and enjoy the one's that I do have because even though I can buy them I don't want to buy a GST that was $1800 last fall and today it's $2495! How high will this bag go- $3K? I mean, when do we get to a point where we as consumers say ok..this bag is just way too much money and even though it's "Chanel"...it's not worth that. We all know that the prices are going up and the quality is going down. This is just a fact.

You appear to be taking this extremely personally.

if im going to be spending $$$ i will buy based on how useful it will be to my lifestyle. with bags, i dont mind the price tag becuz i know i'll use the bag for many years. i take very good care of my expensive items so i'd spend $$$ on a bag before i'll spend $$$ on chanels costume jewelry for the simple fact that the crystals fall out over time. i do like chanels costume jewelry and will continue to purchase items that wont have crystals or anything that can fall out of them. expensive jewelry is easy to lose so i'd rather spend large bucks on my purses

If you want Costume Jewelry think about Kenneth Jay Lane. Especially pearls. THose are the pearls that Jackie Kennedy wore, Barbara BUsh and Duchess of Windsor....they all wore his pearls which he still has ...they had his pins too and all of high society uses his jewelry. YOu can get his Jackie Kennedy pearls on QVC...they went for thousands of dollars at auction....so you have the name and a good price, and you have a lifetime guarantee.

Personnally I have tons of costume and for thousands of dollars I put it towards real jewelry. I think Harry Winston and Chopard has a lot more class than costume Chanel, so just start saving your thousands of dollars and when you have $10000 or more then go to a good store and get a discount ...that's a lot more classy then chanel pearls that are poor quality ...

i've been following this thread with interest because this is exactly an issue that i've been grappling with. i personally feel that i would invest in the bags, shoes and RTW because i will get alot of mileage out of them. but i haven't quite made up my mind about costume jewelry that cost north of $500. i have been very tempted to get the timeless pearls though they are now $795 and probably increasing if the price increases continue relentlessly.

so my question is, for the same price, would you rather get 1) one amazing RTW jacket or 2) a pair of shoes and the pearl necklace?