RM Q&A at Luna Boston

ivysun

Sep 21, 2006
Just thought to create this thread for the girls who missed the online chat. Let's post all the Q&A here... Here are the ones so far:

Posted by ivysun
Q: Is there any RM flagship stores currently? If not, are you planning to open any? and when & where?

A: By 2010 we plan on opening a store in L.A. and NY.

Posted by iloverm!
Q: Out of curiosity, how many RM bags do you own? Which one do you carry the most often?

A: I carry the new Devote tote right now and the Nikki in the resort black (the one that flakes yellow from last resort season).

Posted by Cara
Q: Does bringing back the old hardware mean the new one will no longer be used? I prefer the new one.

A: It's going to be a mix of old and new.

Posted by HP
Q: I love the French Tote -- its playfulness and versatility!! Will there be more color combos of it coming out?

A: Yes we are doing one in a spectator style (black and white stripes and red and white stripes) and look for a custom print coming out next Spring!

Posted by Erica
Q: How do you finalize the leather colors and textures for your designs?

A: We go through about 10 edits from 100 colors down to 4 to 5 per month. It's usually based on my eye as well as the merchandising skills of my president.

Posted by Loise
Q: Hi Rebecca! I wish I was in Boston. To date, what is the smooshiest leather that you have produced?

A: The smooshiest has been the Wine.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: Love your design! Just curious about how many RM Morning after bag or mini are sold per color each season?

A: Too many to handle!

Posted by purselicious
Q: Where do you get your design inspiration?

A: From a mix of modern and vintage items such as details in clothing, vintage bags, vintage shoes, wallpaper prints, whatever catches my eye.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: What bag would you recommend for a petite girl on the go? =)

A: The Mini Nikki.

Posted by Ces
Q: Are you going to make a MAM bag in camel color or ostrich leather?

A: Yes and yes, but I'm not telling you when it will come out!

Posted by bagcrazy
Q: Will there be any changes in hardware such as going back to the old style hardware? Will there be silver?

A: Yes, by January of next year most of the old hardware will be back, along with tassels. There will be a mix of gold and silver.

Posted by kat
Q: Love your bags but I can't wait for shoes any clearer idea of when they will be released?

A: Probably at the end of 2009 or the beginning of 2010.

Posted by alaina
Q: will you be making anymore stamp style mam or mab?

A: Yes, basketweave is coming back, and there is an embossed quilted patent for Holiday as well as a croc.

Posted by purselicious
Q: what changes if any have you made to the classic style bags in the new line?

A: In the past, normally we've done a combination of 2 leathers on the bags, but the Holiday bags will have metallic piping in interesting color combinations.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: What can you tell us about the matinee? Will there be a revamped version in the Spring??

A: The Matinee is in hibernation. If there are enough requests for it to come back then I will try my best to bring it back in the Spring.

Posted by caitlin
Q: Can you bring back the fleur de lis lining?

A: I've tried, but it's unavailable! But I'm going to be doing custom linings soon so we will hopefully bring it back.

Posted by stylehag
Q: What do you prefer designing, clothes or handbags?

A: I love both. Clothing is more challenging, there's a lot more that goes into it. Bags are easy, they don't have to "fit" anybody, but with clothes you have to do model fittings and make sure they will be flattering to every woman's body.

Posted by luvURbag
Q: Have you considered doing any men's accessories or wallets?

A: As of right now, I'm not really looking into men's accessories, but there is the possibility that I will do wallets.

Posted by RMrocks
Q: What inspires you in your handbag designs?

A: The fictional girl and her experiences that weave through the collection, names, stories, and her adventures.

Posted by daHillzfan
Q: Do you know Lauren Conrad or any of the girls from The Hills personally?

A: I've met her and talked to her a few times, but we don't hang out.

Posted by RMluvr
Q: What's your new favorite style?

A: The Devote tote.

Posted by bagcrazy
Q:
Will there be any changes in hardware such as going back to the old style hardware? Will there be silver?

A: Yes, by January of next year most of the old hardware will be back, along with tassels. There will be a mix of gold and silver.

GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!:nuts::tup::woohoo:

pls try not to repeat the ones already posted.
more here:
Posted by Kelly
Q: I love your handbags...have you ever thought about designing luggage?

A: Yes, I have plans to have at least a carry-on by next year.

Posted by Yaeli
Q: Dear Rebecca, I adore your bags and admire your marketing savvy - you are an amazing business woman! Love the new patent red MAM - do you think it would be the kind of a seasonal bag to have, or something I could wear year over year? Thanks!

A: Yes, I think red is the new black and you can definitely wear the new patent year-round.

Posted by ivysun
Q: Will you be making any special edition handbag? which style will it be (if you could tell us) I can't wait!!! ; )

A: As of right now we don't have special editions but look for limited editions coming to Luna Boston soon!

Posted by Lisa from Chicago
Q: Dear Rebecca, I recently "discovered" your bags, LOVE them and the fact they are made in the US!! :smile: Will the MA Clutch be coming out in more basic colors (black, brown, wine, etc...)? It's a great, roomy little bag! Thank you. Wish I were there!

A: Yes.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: What about another nikki in chocolate? Dark brown is great but a lighter brown like chocolate would be perfect! (and with old hardware?!)

A: We have the Fawn color coming out for Resort and a chocolate for the Spring.

Posted by nola
Q: hi rebecca! is the Mini Nikki back to stay? it's my new fave. and you can count me in wanting the Mattie back! :heart:nola

A: The Mini Nikki is definitely here to stay!

Posted by Nicole
Q: I 'm kicking myself for not ordering the matinee in wine! Will the mini MAB be avaialable in wine?

A: As of right now, we don't have any plans to make more unless we get a lot of requests.

Posted by HP
Q: When will we be able to get the Minkette accessories collection online? I can't wait!! :smile: PS. Please bring back the Matinees!

A: You can pre-order them from Luna Boston online on Monday!

Q: Will there be any changes in hardware such as going back to the old style hardware? Will there be silver?

This and the matinee question were mine cuz I was hoping that the old would make a reappearance as well as the matinee! I would love a smooshy dark brown matinee with old hw and tassels!! I'm not a big fan of silver hw but I know a lot of gals here want silver too! Maybe on the right bag I'd like it? This is actually kind of fun! I am interested in the chocolate nikki question too!

I agree, but I think LB probably won't keep the Q&A after this is done, and it might be a good resource for fellow Minkettes that may have the same questions -- answered by Rebecca herself, no less! :tup:

good point!! They'll most likely take it down. Thanks for posting them here! ;)

more here.. should probably just do 1 copy & paste at the end of the chat.. but worry if they will delete some previous questions.. I am gonna be offline.. so someone please keep it updated..

Posted by HP
Q: Will the Chocolate Nikki in the Spring be a recut of the earlier Chocolate Nikki, or different? If different, how so? Thanks!

A: It will be the first chocolate I ever made, its like the color of a Hershey Bar..:smile:

Posted by Jamie
Q: It will be the original chocolate that was the first chocolate that I ever made.

A:

Posted by Steph
Q: When will your Champagne Rose bag for the Susan G. Komen foundation be available for order and will it be available via Luna Boston? Thanks! :smile:

A: That bag is available starting in december, I dont think it is available thru Luna Boston but check back soon as you never know!

Posted by Erica
Q: Is the Scarlet/Lipstick Patent Bottom MAM bag that LunaBoston has available for preorder the same as the crinkly pink-colored bag featured on your home page?

A: Yes! Thats the same one, good eye!

Posted by Kinori
Q: Hi!!! I am nine years old. I saw my mom's bag Morning After Mini, and I LOVED it! I was wondering if you could consider making a collection for fashionable young girls like me... Thank you!

A: I am actually making more and more bags for more ages, look out soon for the Mini Mini!!!!

Posted by ivysun
Q: IMO your brand is very popular in the US, just curious how the brand is doing in other countries (Europe, Asia, etc..)?

A: We are just started to concentrate on EU and hope to expand more later this year. Japan is another big place for RM and we hope to grow bigger and better!

Posted by nola
Q: can you describe the new Holiday patent leather? is it smooth or a little wrinkly? thanks!

A: We have both acutally, depending on the color, Smooth is the Lipstick, wrinkly is the scarlet.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: When will be able to see the scarlet color and the elusive peacock we are all nuts over?

A: Sept for Scarlet and Peacock for November

Posted by Anonymous
Q: Sept for Scarlet and Peacock for November.

A:

Posted by Kaia
Q: I love the Nikki! It's also a great fit for my laptop (as suggested by some retailers) but I worry the thin straps on the sides are not strong enough. Will there be modifications on this in the future perhaps?

A: I'm coming out with smaller sized bags next spring!

Posted by HP
Q: Will the Chocolate Nikki in the Spring be a recut of the earlier Chocolate Nikki, or different? If different, how so? Thanks!

A: It will be the first chocolate I ever made, its like the color of a Hershey Bar..:smile:

Posted by Jamie
Q: It will be the original chocolate that was the first chocolate that I ever made.

A:

Posted by Steph
Q: When will your Champagne Rose bag for the Susan G. Komen foundation be available for order and will it be available via Luna Boston? Thanks! :smile:

A: That bag is available starting in december, I dont think it is available thru Luna Boston but check back soon as you never know!

Posted by Erica
Q: Is the Scarlet/Lipstick Patent Bottom MAM bag that LunaBoston has available for preorder the same as the crinkly pink-colored bag featured on your home page?

A: Yes! Thats the same one, good eye!

Posted by Kinori
Q: Hi!!! I am nine years old. I saw my mom's bag Morning After Mini, and I LOVED it! I was wondering if you could consider making a collection for fashionable young girls like me... Thank you!

A: I am actually making more and more bags for more ages, look out soon for the Mini Mini!!!!

Posted by ivysun
Q: IMO your brand is very popular in the US, just curious how the brand is doing in other countries (Europe, Asia, etc..)?

A: We are just started to concentrate on EU and hope to expand more later this year. Japan is another big place for RM and we hope to grow bigger and better!

Posted by nola
Q: can you describe the new Holiday patent leather? is it smooth or a little wrinkly? thanks!

A: We have both acutally, depending on the color, Smooth is the Lipstick, wrinkly is the scarlet.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: When will be able to see the scarlet color and the elusive peacock we are all nuts over?

A: Sept for Scarlet and Peacock for November

Posted by Jenny
Q: Hi Rebecca, Is the upcoming holiday color Rose a light pink or a deeper pink color? We've seen different pictures and I can't quite grasp the color. I can't wait for it to hit stores! LOVE YOUR BAGS!! XO! Jen

A: It's a medium pink -- your best bet for good lighting is a certified Rebecca Minkoff vendor and not a picture from a phone.

Posted by Jill
Q: Can you elaborate at all on the types of basketweave combinations coming out this year? I love my royal/brown one and can't wait to get more!

A: This is a surprise -- I have to keep some things a mystery!
I am going offline. Will someone else please keep copying the Q&A (this was a good idea, btw)? Thanks! :smile:

Posted by Jennifer
Q: Rebecca, will straps (hobo or Elisha) ever be included with the Morning Afters?

A: Yes, starting in January.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: When will the electric blue MAM be available and could you tell on which online stores? also which one is more structured leather - iris, navy lux or electric blue MAM? Thanks!

A: The electric blue should be arriving at Luna Boston on November 1st, its an exclusive for Luna Boston, so they them while they are hot. They are pretty much the same in structure, except the Navy Lux is lamb, so it tends to be a bit lighter if you don't like heavier bags.

Posted by Jamie
Q: Hi Rebecca! I was wondering whether you're going to make more glazed leathers this season, especially in brighter colors. I adore my Glazed Espresso MAM and would love to have another glazed bag. Thanks!

A: We are. Look for more glazed leathers coming out for next summer and late spring.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: Another question Rebecca regarding designing handbags... Since you are my favorite designer, would you happen to have any job opportunities so that I can learn from the top to the bottom in the industry.

A: We always need interns, so you never know. There is an interveiw process and timing is key, you can email the [email protected] to get more info!

Posted by Anonymous
Q: Not a question but just a huge thank you for making yourself available to us! It's great to have a little heads up on what's coming! I wish you all the best with your company! And I am really looking forward to the accessories coming on Monday! ;o)

A: Wow! Thank you soo much! Its been a pleasure and it would be nice to do this more often!

Posted by Annie
Q: I'm loving the pictures of the Electric Blue, but it looks close to Royal and Iris in some picks but really bright like Ocean in others. Can you briefly describe how it's different from these color? Thanks so much!

A: The electric blue is more flourecent than the Iris and the Royal. The electric blue also is more of a natura finish than the other two as well.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: I was wanting to get a mab in the navy do you have the long straps you can purchase separate for those? thanks

A: As long as we have the leather available, we can do that, you would have to check with Cory so that she can look into this matter for you.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: Hi Rebecca! When will the Oliver and Ollie bags come out? Also what colors?? Thanks!!

A: They were just shipped to stores this last week, so they should be popping up soon at a store near you.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: The computer case/sleeve you designed for HP...is that coming out anytime soon? Thanks!

A: Yes, you can use the Cheri Satchel, as that is the same bag, and order it online via Lucky Magazine in the next month or so.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: Hi! So the new chocolate in the Spring will be different than the one Hillary Duff has been photographed with? I love that bag! Is rose the bag photographed with you in the Intel Centrino commercial? (bottom of the pic)Thank you!

A: The one Hilary Duff has is the chocolate that will be avail come this January, the Classic, O.G. Chocolate. The rose is the bag in the Intel ad, although it looks a little darker in the photo b/c it is in the shadow.

Posted by Anonymous
Q: Hi Rebecca.... What would you recommend to someone that has the desire and the inspiration to design handbags but has no idea where or how to start this type of venture?

A: I would say the best answer is to get an internship with a handbag designer so that you can learn from the top to the bottom of the industry. I think its the best, hands on way to learn!

OK, I'm a bit peeved because I submitted a question that was listed as pending along with all the other questions above, and then it was totally skipped and not answered!

^^ I had a question that wasn't answered too. I submitted a couple plus a thank you but only one wasn't answered. I asked about the devote tote but she must not want to share about it yet. What was your question?