'We are registred at...' cards with wedding invites = TACKY

Nyria

Diggin TPF
O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
I am so sick of getting wedding invitations and out pops these cards saying where the couple is registered.

Are you kidding me?:rolleyes:

Ewww Ewww Ewww!

So tacky - I just can't believe people do this.

Sorry - just had to vent.

Bahaha. We've gotten two of those in the last month or so.

My mom got a wedding invite once that said they didn't want actual presents, just money. (obviously not exactly like that, but the same idea.)

I know most people don't feel this way but I agree, registries are totally tacky. Begging for gifts is so unattractive.

Since I got engaged I started reading a bunch of wedding etiquette sites and apparently it is now okay not only to say "we're registered at _____, ___________, and _______" but to register for things like ipods, computers, and other toys. Also, one column I read stated it was okay to print on the invitation a line about needing college tuition! Tacky!

Wait, what about for showers?

I agree that it's tacky with a wedding invite, but I think they're a necessity for a shower invite. I hate trying to guess what someone wants. I really appreciate gift registries.

I've never been married and I've only been to two weddings but isn't it pretty normal to buy the couple a wedding gift?

If someone is having a large wedding with many guest there's the possibility that some guest might bring the same type of gift. Who needs two blenders? So the point of registering is to make a list of items that the couple could use, and instead of telling everyone individually, just make a list of useful items and once someone gets it, it goes off the list.

It save times, money and it saves the couple from getting things they don't need and the guest from wasting their money on things that will get returned or never used / re-gifted.

If you know someone well enough to go to their wedding / shower then you know them well enough to ask them or their families where they are registered at.
When I get one of these I feel like saying 'Who says I was even getting you a gift? "
You invite people to your wedding to celebrate your day with you - if they bring you a gift then great.

I've never been married and I've only been to two weddings but isn't it pretty normal to buy the couple a wedding gift?

If someone is having a large wedding with many guest there's the possibility that some guest might bring the same type of gift. Who needs two blenders? So the point of registering is to make a list of items that the couple could use, and instead of telling everyone individually, just make a list of useful items and once someone gets it, it goes off the list.

It save times, money and it saves the couple from getting things they don't need and the guest from wasting their money on things that will get returned or never used / re-gifted.

Yes you should register but you don't put it in the invite where you are registered.

I believe, from what I have learned, that now the proper way of going about it is putting your website on your invitation, and putting where you are registered there. That way if people visit your site they can see where you are registered, and of course, they can ask.

It is quite tacky to put it in an invitation or save the date. We will be putting where we are registered on our wedding website.

I know most people don't feel this way but I agree, registries are totally tacky. Begging for gifts is so unattractive.

Since I got engaged I started reading a bunch of wedding etiquette sites and apparently it is now okay not only to say "we're registered at _____, ___________, and _______" but to register for things like ipods, computers, and other toys. Also, one column I read stated it was okay to print on the invitation a line about needing college tuition! Tacky!

Just goes to show that anyone can write something on the web LOL

I believe, from what I have learned, that now the proper way of going about it is putting your website on your invitation, and putting where you are registered there. That way if people visit your site they can see where you are registered, and of course, they can ask.

It is quite tacky to put it in an invitation or save the date. We will be putting where we are registered on our wedding website.

That's a cool idea. No one I know is computer savy enough to have their won website though LOL.

I still think it's fine to include it on a bridal shower invite, especially since the shower should be thrown by other people (friends and family of the bride). I just got one that said "____ and ____ are registered at x & y" and I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't want to have to dig around to figure out where they are registered, and if I don't know where they are probably getting a gift card (which I hate doing for showers).

I can't see all of my elderly family members going online to find that sort of thing out! haha, no way, most of them probably don't even have e-mail.

edit: I do think the websites are a great idea, though, and think it's great to put that information online.

That's a cool idea. No one I know is computer savy enough to have their won website though LOL.

So how do suggest should people that are not so computer savvy ask for money or specific things ?

Or are you just completely against the idea of registries ?

Not attacking you just curious ;)

I once went to a wedding where towards the end of the reception/dinner..they went around & actually handed EVERYONE a empty fresh envelope.

I thought tthat was kinda tacky.

I once went to a wedding where towards the end of the reception/dinner..they went around & actually handed EVERYONE a empty fresh envelope.

I thought tthat was kinda tacky.

I've seen that done at a lot of showers. Maybe I just don't care about what's tacky or not, but I think it's great to make sure everyone gets a thank you and no one is missing (and they usually also use them to draw door prizes). Maybe my family is just more casual or something, but they all seem to do this. Or maybe I'm just used to it because I've gone to so many showers.