Anyone ever sleepwalk? - a piggyback to Junkenpo's thread

ProfNot

Sylvie Guillem fan
O.G.
May 10, 2006
I really liked the thread Junkenpo started about falling out of the bed.

So I'd like to hear sleepwalking stories. Here's mine:

When I was in college and it was Finals Week, I would sometimes be so stressed I would sleepwalk in the dorm.

One time I actually went to the payphone down the hall and left a message for a GF - all while asleep. I couldn't believe it the next day when she asked me what the heck my message was about. :confused1:

I only did it twice after college. One time, I woke up and found I had rearranged the furniture in my living room. :shrugs:

No alcohol involved in any of these incidents - I swear!

I slept walked when I was about 10 years old. One night the phone rang around 1:30 am (no one answered on the other line) and my mother told me that I got up and walked out into the back yard right to the edge of the pool and told her to come here, that I needed to show her something. She started yelling at me to get back in the house. That really scared me and the thought of falling in the pool....well I can't imagine. I kind of wish my mother had let me show her what I wanted her to see but I probably would have walked right into the pool. I've been told I also talk in my sleep but no more reported episodes of sleepwalking.

I sometimes have night terrors, but not as often as I used to. My hubby has restrained me a few times because I was freaking out and attacking someone who wasn't there. I would wake up totally paniced and convinced that I was being murdered or attacked. I've even been caught walking around holding a large kitchen knife. I haven't worked in the safest professions and my experiences creep back into my head while I am sleeping. Now hubby knows to watch me when I get out of bed to make sure I am fully awake.

I sometimes have night terrors, but not as often as I used to. My hubby has restrained me a few times because I was freaking out and attacking someone who wasn't there. I would wake up totally paniced and convinced that I was being murdered or attacked. I've even been caught walking around holding a large kitchen knife. I haven't worked in the safest professions and my experiences creep back into my head while I am sleeping. Now hubby knows to watch me when I get out of bed to make sure I am fully awake.

I hear you, Natalie.

I am such a wuss that I had to stop watching the X Files TV show. After watching an episode I woke up in the middle of the night yelling "Help us!" I can still describe the details of this dream even though it was 12+ years ago.

My lame little example (compared to your real life experiences) shows that things can get under our skins and into our unconscious minds. You might want to consider switching to a profession that does not give you nightmares. To assuage any guilt you might experience, you might want to volunteer to encourage people to donate food to soup kitchens or some other urgently-needed charity. That would be far more benign for you and still be urgently helpful.

I've started to take Ambien and one of the warnings is sleep walking. I haven't actually slept walked but my daughter said one night I was sitting next to her on the couch chowing down on Peppridge Farm cookies. I remember seeing the bag of cookies on the counter the next morning and being annoyed that my daughter didn't put them back. Turns out it was me!

Changing professions just really isn't really an option. I have worked really hard for the past five years to get where I am at. My current job isn't really the problem. I used to be a prison guard and parole board interviewer. I worked in prisons for five years and had some terrifying experiences that come back at me sometimes at night.

Don't get me wrong; I love what I do. I help to protect the public from the world's monsters. If I have to trade a little bit of my sanity to keep everyone else around me safe, then it is worth the trade-off.

I hear you, Natalie.

I am such a wuss that I had to stop watching the X Files TV show. After watching an episode I woke up in the middle of the night yelling "Help us!" I can still describe the details of this dream even though it was 12+ years ago.

My lame little example (compared to your real life experiences) shows that things can get under our skins and into our unconscious minds. You might want to consider switching to a profession that does not give you nightmares. To assuage any guilt you might experience, you might want to volunteer to encourage people to donate food to soup kitchens or some other urgently-needed charity. That would be far more benign for you and still be urgently helpful.

I love sleepwalking stories! Some are funny and some are downright terrifying (luxe and natalie). I don't think I've sleptwalked in years but I used to as a preteen and teenager. Hm, here's what I can remember:

My mom walking by my bedroom and seeing me staring out the window. She asked what I was doing and I said I was peeing! (I really wasn't, just standing there)

Getting completely dressed for school at 11 PM.

Getting down off the top bunk in my dorm at college and stepping on my roommate and hitting my head on the floor when I fell.

I spent the night at a friend's house and walked into her parents' bedroom to tell them that she was snoring!

I'm sure I've done more, including lots of talking in my sleep. What's really scary are people who sleepwalk and go outside the house. Also, sleep eating is a strange and interesting phenomenon.

Changing professions just really isn't really an option. I have worked really hard for the past five years to get where I am at. My current job isn't really the problem. I used to be a prison guard and parole board interviewer. I worked in prisons for five years and had some terrifying experiences that come back at me sometimes at night.

Don't get me wrong; I love what I do. I help to protect the public from the world's monsters. If I have to trade a little bit of my sanity to keep everyone else around me safe, then it is worth the trade-off.

Wow, I totally understand, I would have nightmares too if I were in those situations! Thanks for doing what you do and keeping people safe! :flowers:

I talk in my sleep and hog the bed. My boyfriend will tell me to move and i'll just start yelling at him, so sometimes I will wake up alone wondering what was up. He will go and sleep on the couch because i'm so mean to him. I feel so bad.:wtf:

A couple I know told me the lady next door to them in the condo building pounded their door in the wee hours one night. She wore only a sexy scanty little nightie. Her face was calm. She said she was locked out of her condo and her husband was unreachable. She wanted to stay with them until morning.

My friend's husband thought things seemed a bit off. So he went next door and pounded on the door to the lightly-clad woman's condo.

A rumpled husband answered the door. On hearing about his wife, he said "Oh my God - not again! She sleepwalks!" He grabbed his wife's housecoat and ran over to my friends' condo, blushing the whole time.

I can only remember one time that I slept walk. The house we lived in at the time had a pool and there was a gate around the pool. In my sleep, I opened the gate, set my blanket folded up on the diving board and went back inside. Very surprised the next morning to find my blanket on the diving board!

My mom used to take Ambien and once almost drove while still sleeping. Thank goodness she ended up just putting the keys in the ignition and returning to bed. She's no longer on Ambien.

One time I sleep-walked into my parents room and I guess started talking in my sleep. My mom and dad woke up and said "Courtney?" Then I woke up and had no clue what I was doing in there!

My mom said that she once heard me laughing in my sleep. She said I laughed, mumbled something, than laughed some more! :biggrin: I wish I knew what I was dreaming about...