What rights do i have as a seller?

Jun 3, 2006
I sold a bag recently. The bag was in good condition and stated as used. I would like some advice on what i should do as the buyer has said that the bag smells like smoke.
The bag was in a smoke free environment and i do not smoke. It's your words against there's.

Make them send the bag back and make sure it is the same bag you sent before you would refund them anything. Too many buyers try things like this to look for a partial refund a.k.a. the "ebay rebate system".

My policy is that it is either good enough to keep or it isn't, and if the buyer wants to have money back, they must return the item in the condition it was sent to them.

I sold a bag recently. The bag was in good condition and stated as used. I would like some advice on what i should do as the buyer has said that the bag smells like smoke.
The bag was in a smoke free environment and i do not smoke. It's your words against there's.

I would not take a return; this is obviously buyer's remorse. If she is threatening to file a SNAD with ebay/paypal, however, since it is a buyer's world out there, you just might not win this one.
Just had a similar situation with a Balenciaga coin purse. She got it and said it was "worn." Well, DUH, it was a vintage/used 2006 Truffle Chevre Balenciaga, and described as so ! (Stating at least three times on my listing PLEASE READ CAREFULLY because this is a final sale, no returns, etc. etc.) I decided just to refund her, telling her to send the coin purse back in exactly the same condition as she received it.. That is the risk :that they will damage the item and say they received it in that condition.
Re: Smoke - that just seems like pure buyer's remorse if you say you are not a smoker. Allergies? There seem to be tons of these "allergics" coming out of the woodwork. (I am sure I will get bashed for saying that!)
I read in one thread where the buyer said her postman had smoked in the USPS delivery truck and she wanted to return the bag!!!!
I would stand firm and see what happens.

NONE~

Okay, seriously not true but almost.
First, consider the possibility that her mail carrier smokes (mine does) and if it has a slight smell it could just be from transit.

Assure her that you do not smoke and that the bag did not smell of smoke when it left your home. I would not agree to take the bag back and see if she files with Paypal. If she does, it is likely she will get granted the ability to return the bag to you but hopefully if you stand firm with no refund then she will just back-off.

Did your listing say "smoke-free" if not, Paypal may decide it is not SNAD.

Sorry you are going through this and post an update when you have one.

*** Ahh, you typed while I typed.
Now all you can do is sit back and wait. In the message to Paypal be clear that you don't smoke and neither does anyone else in the household. I really hope you win, but I fear you will not. If the delivery man doesn't smoke then it is likely a case of buyer's remorse.

Last edited:
NONE~

Okay, seriously not true but almost.
First, consider the possibility that her mail carrier smokes (mine does) and if it has a slight smell it could just be from transit.

Assure her that you do not smoke and that the bag did not smell of smoke when it left your home. I would not agree to take the bag back and see if she files with Paypal. If she does, it is likely she will get granted the ability to return the bag to you but hopefully if you stand firm with no refund then she will just back-off.

Did your listing say "smoke-free" if not, Paypal may decide it is not SNAD.

Sorry you are going through this and post an update when you have one.

*** Ahh, you typed while I typed.
Now all you can do is sit back and wait. In the message to Paypal be clear that you don't smoke and neither does anyone else in the household. I really hope you win, but I fear you will not. If the delivery man doesn't smoke then it is likely a case of buyer's remorse.

it really sucks.
unfortunately i did not write it in my auction. I did say to buyer it's from a smoke free environment and i don't smoke. I would be very upset if they favour the buyer. Especially , if it was the carriers or someone in the post office who smokes affected my bag.

Sorry this happened...as I read your previous post it says you did NOT state it´s from a smoke free environment in your listing, right? If that is the case this buyer does not have any grounds for a claim IMO...I am not very experienced with PP claims so I might be wrong. Hold firm!

Kat

Sorry this happened...as I read your previous post it says you did NOT state it´s from a smoke free environment in your listing, right? If that is the case this buyer does not have any grounds for a claim IMO...I am not very experienced with PP claims so I might be wrong. Hold firm!

Kat

I don't think that matters anymore. It seems like PP is siding with the buyer whenever they file a SNAD regardless of the circumstances. It sux, but from what I have been reading on here lately, they are clearly for the buyer now.

Did you wrap it in plastic when you shipped it? Sometimes the bags give off a funny smell that buyers confuse with cigarette smoke.

USPS contracts with drivers so it could have been in a truck that belonged to a smoker.

What is it with people saying items smell like smoke? I've had that happen twice now. I have never smoked, and I don't ever allow smoking inside my home even for my friends who do. I always allow my buyers to return an item they're unhappy with for a refund, but in both cases, they didn't want to return it, just wanted a "partial" refund instead. You either want it or you don't. You can't buy something from me and claim that it smells like smoke (which isn't something you can ever get photo evidence of) just to get a better deal on it after you receive it. I don't play that game.

Just offer to take the bag back and give her a refund. If she's really that unhappy because it smells like smoke, she'll happily take it. If she wants a partial, it's mere buyer's remorse.

Buyers got so many allergies. :tdown: I have to state that I keep my clothes in a cedar closet. I have pets but they don't get to go into my closet. Hubby smokes but not in the house. And finally The sun light doesn't glare on my handbags nor do I put fabric softer sheets inside them. The things buyers come up with...:cursing: when they get buyers remorse.

Buyers got so many allergies. :tdown: I have to state that I keep my clothes in a cedar closet. I have pets but they don't get to go into my closet. Hubby smokes but not in the house. And finally The sun light doesn't glare on my handbags nor do I put fabric softer sheets inside them. The things buyers come up with...:cursing: when they get buyers remorse.
Very funny, but unfortunately so true these days. Everyone seems to be "allergic," but in most cases, they are allergic to accepting the item they bought and paid for and then later changed their minds about...
Don't forget to put "comes from childfree home"

Kat

thanks hun. I will try and stand my ground, it seems unfair to be penalise for something that didn't exist.

Very funny, but unfortunately so true these days. Everyone seems to be "allergic," but in most cases, they are allergic to accepting the item they bought and paid for and then later changed their minds about...
Don't forget to put "comes from childfree home"

Does that mean i'll have to put in all my auctions
"child free home"
"smoke free home"
" pet free home"
"dust free home"
what else it's ridiculous

Paypal sucks if thy side the buyer.Anyone can make up any excuse and still win the dispute.:tdown: