I am beyond PISSED... USPS released an Express package WITHOUT A SIGNATURE

coachfreak

Looking for LVOE
Oct 27, 2007
Hi all-

I am pretty pissed right now. I haven't gotten a message from my buyer but I overnighted an eBay purchase yesterday and today they delivered and it says "waiver of signature was exercised at time of delivery". Of course I call because there is no way in H*LL I would waive the signature and the lady on the phone didn't know why they would release it.

If there is a claim I will be that crazy lady in the P.O. being arrested for disturbing the peace and threatening a goverment worker because I won't have a signature to provide Paypal.

I am just hoping there are no issues...

Hey, did you insure it? I always insure and do signature confirmation. That way if they don't get a signature for the package and the buyer says they didn't get it, the Post office will get to pay me for it (it's their necks!)

Hopefully your buyer will be honest! I once had a $1200 Louis Vuitton item that had both insurance and signature confirmation shipped to California, and no one was made to sign for it! They didn't even scan it when it was delivered. Thank goodness the buyer left positive feedback and told me it got delivered. It was the last time I bought my postage label on Paypal instead of going to the post office and shipping it from there.

I get P.O packages delivered all the time that say "signature Required" on the package, and they never even knock on my door to get one, they always just drop it off on my front porch. what do we pay the extra money for if there not even going to try to get a sig in the first place?

wow! i would be paranoid also. i know with fedex you can waive a signature and with DHL you can leave a note on your door if you are expecting a package to leave it at the door step.

good luck!

Hey, did you insure it? I always insure and do signature confirmation. That way if they don't get a signature for the package and the buyer says they didn't get it, the Post office will get to pay me for it (it's their necks!)

Hopefully your buyer will be honest! I once had a $1200 Louis Vuitton item that had both insurance and signature confirmation shipped to California, and no one was made to sign for it! They didn't even scan it when it was delivered. Thank goodness the buyer left positive feedback and told me it got delivered. It was the last time I bought my postage label on Paypal instead of going to the post office and shipping it from there.

Yes, I insured it which is why they never should have left it without a signature because the USPS voids any insurance purchased if the waiver is signed (and they are suppose to get a signature for any delivery insured for > $50) and the waiver is NOT signed on my receipt and it was insured for way more than $50.

Why both to sell me insurance that would be void if there was a claim????????????

Okay... trying to calm down. My buyer was very communicative so hopefully they actually did receive the box and hopefully they will not try to scam me.

Yes, I insured it which is why they never should have left it without a signature because the USPS voids any insurance purchased if the waiver is signed (and they are suppose to get a signature for any delivery insured for > $50) and the waiver is NOT signed on my receipt and it was insured for way more than $50.

Why both to sell me insurance that would be void if there was a claim????????????

Okay... trying to calm down. My buyer was very communicative so hopefully they actually did receive the box and hopefully they will not try to scam me.

I don't know why they would release a package without the signature, that is a big no-no. However, just wanted to clear one thing up. USPS only requires a signature if insurance is $200 or over.

Linda

I don't know why they would release a package without the signature, that is a big no-no. However, just wanted to clear one thing up. USPS only requires a signature if insurance is $200 or over.

Linda

Thanks for the clarification, is that new? My mail carrier told me it was $50 and I have been told that at P.O. when they try to convince me I don't need signature confirmation if the item is insured for more than $50 because they will get it anyway. However, that was probably awhile back and I always get the signature confirmation if it is more than the $250 that Paypal needs.

This would explain however some of the packages that have been left on my porch where I thought they should have gotten a signature.

Maybe the buyer lives in an apt. complex where the main office receives all packages and that's why the signature confirmation was "waived." Well, we know who's gonna pay if the bag goes missing.

Not you, the USPS. If you didn't waive the sig conf, and the sender didn't, the USPS has some explaining to do. And if it screwed up, the insurance will pay you. Keep track of all your conversations with the USPS--date, time, person's name--so that you have something to offer the buyer if the package doesn't show up while the USPS tries to locate the bag and a determination is made about the insurance.

Last edited:
The past week, they've left three packages that should have required signatures downstairs at my apartment. I'm on the second floor, so it's conceivable that someone in the downstairs apartment signed for them when they arrived, but each time, I was shocked to come home and find them there. Because I basically live in a 2-unit house instead of an actual building or apartment complex, I always ask people to ship to me with signature confirmation so that the delivery guy doesn't just leave it on the porch where anyone who wanted to could come and take it. It makes me really angry to think that I might be paying extra for signature confirmation only to have some lazy delivery guy screw it all up.

The past week, they've left three packages that should have required signatures downstairs at my apartment. I'm on the second floor, so it's conceivable that someone in the downstairs apartment signed for them when they arrived, but each time, I was shocked to come home and find them there. Because I basically live in a 2-unit house instead of an actual building or apartment complex, I always ask people to ship to me with signature confirmation so that the delivery guy doesn't just leave it on the porch where anyone who wanted to could come and take it. It makes me really angry to think that I might be paying extra for signature confirmation only to have some lazy delivery guy screw it all up.
They suck!!!

Thanks for the clarification, is that new? My mail carrier told me it was $50 and I have been told that at P.O. when they try to convince me I don't need signature confirmation if the item is insured for more than $50 because they will get it anyway. However, that was probably awhile back and I always get the signature confirmation if it is more than the $250 that Paypal needs.

This would explain however some of the packages that have been left on my porch where I thought they should have gotten a signature.

It may well be new, it's been that way for a year at least though.

Also, if it's express mail overnight you should have a copy of the express mail slip you filled out when you mailed your item. There is an area there that you would have to check a box and sign if you waived signature. Did you hang on to your slip?

Linda