Need some basic makeup help...

seven7

Jun 1, 2008
Hi, I'm new on this forum and I really need help with my makeup.

First off: Sorry for the long post, I tried to keep it as short as possible:

I'm done using this Loreal mineral thing from target that gives me about 2 hours of coverage...just enough to get out the door.

I'm planning a trip to Ulta this weekend, but I don't really know what I need. I have a Mario Badescu moisturizer, and I'm good with eyeshadows, but that is really about it.

I wouldn't post this if it hadn't been for the final straw I got this morning. After having newly fallen in love with my Helena Rubinstein mascara about 6 months ago, I have by process of elimination had to figure out that I am all of a sudden allergic to it. (Is this possible? :confused1:) Process of elimination basically came all the way down to wearing absolutely no makeup for almost a week... :yucky:

So I tried to switch to the stila mascara that makes little tubes. (Thank goodness I tried the sample first). After about a week of using it, I've found that it's incredibly difficult to get off, and it will hardly come off without taking some eyelashes with it.

So, I've decided my makeup needs a huge overhaul.

I've been reading posts here for a few days, trying to figure out what I need. I have slightly darkish circles under my eyes and I read that smashbox has an undereye concealer that works pretty well.

From what I understand after I apply moisturizer, I can apply primer, then foundation and then finishing powder... did I get this right?

Does finishing powder really work? (Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have no idea...)

Do you guys have suggestions for these products? I also need a mascara that will give my eyelashes some curl and a lot more volume, any idea?

Sorry for all the questions, any answers are very appreciated. :flowers:

okkk, i love eye makeup so i'm a bit experienced with those few questions you asked. Yes, it is possible that you can be allergic to mascara. Also, one of my close friends got mascara in her eye and her whole eye got infected and was pink for days. If you are allergic to your mascara then by all means, throw it out! And you can definently find a new favorite mascara there are so many out there these days.

For mascara, you're going to have to cocktail with a bunch of different ones in order to find the best one for you. I've tested these. For volume and curl I would reccommend:

The Diorshow Mascaras (The orginial Diorshow might be one you might wanna try, but they also make similiar ones and a waterproof one.)

YSL Everlong Mascara

Estee Lauder Lash XL Maximum Length Mascara

MAC Zoomlash Mascara (for a little nice length)

Givenchy Captive Eyes Intense Volume Mascara

You might also want to try Too Faced Lash Injection, but it's not for everyone.

Bourjois Volume Clubbing Mascara looks really funn, but I haven't tried it out and I don't know if it curls or legenths that good. Origins mascara is really natural, organtic, and pretty but I found that it doesn't curl as good as other mascaras can.

Max Factor makes the best drugstore mascaras!!! I was in love with my Volume Couture mascara. I have on existent lashes, they are just so thin and although being black you can't really see them. They are stick straight too. decent length I suppose, but not long enough !! ^__^ I take lots of time to layer on mascara in order to be happy with my lashes and this one doesn't clump until it starts getting old after a few months. you have to get waterproof to ensure it will hold a curl all day. It fattens up my lashes a lot and gives decent length. Use Lancome Bi-Facil or Shu uemura hi-performance cleansing oil to dissolve the waterproof mascara. you won't lose eyelashes this way ;) I haven't tried the other MF mascaras, but i'm going in for 2000 calorie as soon as i finish up my current mascara right now.

You got the order right. Sunscreen is important if your makeup doesn't already have it, so put sunscreen in with moisturizer. Finishing powder is supposed to keep oilies away, but my primer is Monistat chafing relief powder gel and it keeps me shine free. my mom says i'm way too young to use powder anyway.

From what I understand after I apply moisturizer, I can apply primer, then foundation and then finishing powder... did I get this right?

Yes, you're right about the order. I like the Smashbox concealers, but don't use them because none of the colors really work for my skin. Bobbi Brown has a better color for me.

Have you tried Bare Escentuals? Here's what I would try:

- Monistat Chafing Gel (use it for your primer - see the Monistat thread on tPF if you haven't already!) Smashbox primers are really good, but honestly, the Monistat will control oil better and it's a lot less $.

- A moisturizer with spf (there are tons out there - if your skin is really dry, try Philosophy's Hope in a Jar)

- Bare Escentuals foundation (powder)

- Smashbox concealer (if you want to try that - otherwise, most concealers are pretty much the same to me unless you need something really good - like for very dark undereye circles)

- Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil

- Cover Girl Lash Blast Mascara (I've also heard good things about Colossal I think it's Maybelline? - bright yellow tube, but I love Lash Blast more than Chanel, more than Dior, more than Smashbox or Bobbi Brown)

You can use Mineral Veil as your finishing powder if you want to. I never feel like I need to, so I use it to set my concealer, especially under my eyes. It keeps my liner/mascara from smudging. Just dab it on top of your concealer, before you put on your foundation. I also dab it on top of where I conceal little blemishes because it helps my foundation sit better on top.

Anyway, use your spf moisturizer, then your Monistat for primer. Then your concealer, and set it with Mineral Veil. Then Bare Escentuals powder foundation. Less is more with BE. Buff it on in a circular motion. If you have blemishes/red spots, etc., go back over those with a little bit of BE foundation, using a small brush - just dab it on the trouble spot. BE is GREAT for covering spot problems. (I've heard good things about Pure Minerals too, but you have to order that online.) Then go ahead with your eye liner, shadows, mascara, etc. If you have whimpy lashes (like I do!), I highly recommend Smashbox Lash Primer (I never go without it!).

If you're interested in trying a good Smashbox kit, QVC has one for their Today's Special Value tomorrow (tonight at midnight, EST). I already ordered it. Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder is WONDERFUL. I use that now instead of BE, but you can only get it on QVC for the next few months. It's in the TSV kit for tomorrow - I think it's about $70 and on 2 payments. If you want to see that kit, I posted the item # in the Beauty Deals thread at the top of the Beauty Bar!

okkk, i love eye makeup so i'm a bit experienced with those few questions you asked. Yes, it is possible that you can be allergic to mascara. Also, one of my close friends got mascara in her eye and her whole eye got infected and was pink for days. If you are allergic to your mascara then by all means, throw it out! And you can definently find a new favorite mascara there are so many out there these days.

For mascara, you're going to have to cocktail with a bunch of different ones in order to find the best one for you. I've tested these. For volume and curl I would reccommend:

The Diorshow Mascaras (The orginial Diorshow might be one you might wanna try, but they also make similiar ones and a waterproof one.)

YSL Everlong Mascara

Estee Lauder Lash XL Maximum Length Mascara

MAC Zoomlash Mascara (for a little nice length)

Givenchy Captive Eyes Intense Volume Mascara

You might also want to try Too Faced Lash Injection, but it's not for everyone.

Bourjois Volume Clubbing Mascara looks really funn, but I haven't tried it out and I don't know if it curls or legenths that good. Origins mascara is really natural, organtic, and pretty but I found that it doesn't curl as good as other mascaras can.

Ok, thank you so much for this! :flowers: I will definitely give those mascara's a try...I'll start at the top of the list, and will stop when I've found my new :heart:.

Max Factor makes the best drugstore mascaras!!! I was in love with my Volume Couture mascara. I have on existent lashes, they are just so thin and although being black you can't really see them. They are stick straight too. decent length I suppose, but not long enough !! ^__^ I take lots of time to layer on mascara in order to be happy with my lashes and this one doesn't clump until it starts getting old after a few months. you have to get waterproof to ensure it will hold a curl all day. It fattens up my lashes a lot and gives decent length. Use Lancome Bi-Facil or Shu uemura hi-performance cleansing oil to dissolve the waterproof mascara. you won't lose eyelashes this way ;) I haven't tried the other MF mascaras, but i'm going in for 2000 calorie as soon as i finish up my current mascara right now.

You got the order right. Sunscreen is important if your makeup doesn't already have it, so put sunscreen in with moisturizer. Finishing powder is supposed to keep oilies away, but my primer is Monistat chafing relief powder gel and it keeps me shine free. my mom says i'm way too young to use powder anyway.

Thank you! :flowers: I will try the cleaning oil for dissolving the mascara, my eyelashes sound pretty much the same way you describe yours.

Oh and sunscreen...how could I forget it? :wtf: I live in Florida!!!

Thank you! :flowers: I will try the cleaning oil for dissolving the mascara, my eyelashes sound pretty much the same way you describe yours.

Oh and sunscreen...how could I forget it? :wtf: I live in Florida!!!

you're welcome :smile: hope you like it. it's kind of expensive i think.
ooh then the max factor will definitely work for you. I spend lots of time on my eyelashes :P Definitely get some sunscreen!!!! If there's one thing I learned from my mom, it's to wear sunscreen especially if you live in FL. so important to preserve your skin

Yes, you're right about the order. I like the Smashbox concealers, but don't use them because none of the colors really work for my skin. Bobbi Brown has a better color for me.

Have you tried Bare Escentuals? Here's what I would try:

- Monistat Chafing Gel (use it for your primer - see the Monistat thread on tPF if you haven't already!) Smashbox primers are really good, but honestly, the Monistat will control oil better and it's a lot less $.

- A moisturizer with spf (there are tons out there - if your skin is really dry, try Philosophy's Hope in a Jar)

- Bare Escentuals foundation (powder)

- Smashbox concealer (if you want to try that - otherwise, most concealers are pretty much the same to me unless you need something really good - like for very dark undereye circles)

- Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil

- Cover Girl Lash Blast Mascara (I've also heard good things about Colossal I think it's Maybelline? - bright yellow tube, but I love Lash Blast more than Chanel, more than Dior, more than Smashbox or Bobbi Brown)

You can use Mineral Veil as your finishing powder if you want to. I never feel like I need to, so I use it to set my concealer, especially under my eyes. It keeps my liner/mascara from smudging. Just dab it on top of your concealer, before you put on your foundation. I also dab it on top of where I conceal little blemishes because it helps my foundation sit better on top.

Anyway, use your spf moisturizer, then your Monistat for primer. Then your concealer, and set it with Mineral Veil. Then Bare Escentuals powder foundation. Less is more with BE. Buff it on in a circular motion. If you have blemishes/red spots, etc., go back over those with a little bit of BE foundation, using a small brush - just dab it on the trouble spot. BE is GREAT for covering spot problems. (I've heard good things about Pure Minerals too, but you have to order that online.) Then go ahead with your eye liner, shadows, mascara, etc. If you have whimpy lashes (like I do!), I highly recommend Smashbox Lash Primer (I never go without it!).

If you're interested in trying a good Smashbox kit, QVC has one for their Today's Special Value tomorrow (tonight at midnight, EST). I already ordered it. Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder is WONDERFUL. I use that now instead of BE, but you can only get it on QVC for the next few months. It's in the TSV kit for tomorrow - I think it's about $70 and on 2 payments. If you want to see that kit, I posted the item # in the Beauty Deals thread at the top of the Beauty Bar!

Thank you very much! :flowers: I so appreciate you also telling me how to apply this stuff! I really wouldn't have had a clue!

It's good to know I can also try the bobbi brown undereye concealers if smashbox doesn't work. My skintone is usually a bit more difficult to find as well, so I will definitely check out both of them.

Also thanks for explaining the Mineral Veil, I will definitely have to get some of that.

I DEFINITELY have whimpy eyelashes, and I didn't even realize there is such a thing as an eyelash primer, so that is a must on my list as well.

Oh! And I will see if I can find the monistat chafing gel to use as a primer, I did just go read about it, and I definitely want to give it a try. :smile:

Correct!

Longest lasting brand of mineral foundation will be Bare Escentuals, unfortunately not everybody's skin can tolerate it. I use Everyday Minerals average staying power (better than L'Oreal's though) but with a primer like Smashbox Photo Finish it will last all day/night. My dark circles and under-eye puffiness are eliminated by using Clinique All About Eyes, this stuff really works I get tons of compliments.

Finishing powder is not a must but it just helps to set make-up, especially useful if you have oily or oily-combination skin it helps to cut down the shine.

What make-up remover did you use to remove your mascara? You can try L'Oreal's Eye Make Up Remover or Lancome's Bi-Facil they both have around the same effectiveness, do not sting eyes even with contacts but leave them with a cooling comfy sensation.

I tried this, and while it has amazing staying power (I slept in it and it didn't budge), it did nothing for my lashes. They looked the same length and thickness but a different color.

Correct!

Longest lasting brand of mineral foundation will be Bare Escentuals, unfortunately not everybody's skin can tolerate it. I use Everyday Minerals average staying power (better than L'Oreal's though) but with a primer like Smashbox Photo Finish it will last all day/night. My dark circles and under-eye puffiness are eliminated by using Clinique All About Eyes, this stuff really works I get tons of compliments.

Finishing powder is not a must but it just helps to set make-up, especially useful if you have oily or oily-combination skin it helps to cut down the shine.

What make-up remover did you use to remove your mascara? You can try L'Oreal's Eye Make Up Remover or Lancome's Bi-Facil they both have around the same effectiveness, do not sting eyes even with contacts but leave them with a cooling comfy sensation.

Thank you. :smile: I used a neutrogena eye makeup remover, I will see how it takes off the new mascara I will be getting, and if it doesn't work, I'll definitely check one of the ones you mentioned.