Need Help in Shopping for Norton Antivirus Software

Oct 17, 2006
Would someone recommend which Norton Antivirus/internet protection software to get? Please advice the pro's and con's and where to get the best price (including promotions, coupons, and rebates). What does 3-user mean? Does it mean that the software can be used on 3 different PC's (homes)?

Currently, buy.com has a $20 +$20 rebate for some of these software packages. Are they the same as those higher price packages offered at norton.com?

I recently purchased one at Norton.com for $69, yes the 3 user means you can install the software on up to three pc's. I had a lot of trouble uploading the software from the internet so they had to send me out a cd. That rebate is pretty good, wish I had known about it before I made my purchase. I have only Used Norton and Mcafee and I like Norton better.

I recently purchased one at Norton.com for $69, yes the 3 user means you can install the software on up to three pc's. I had a lot of trouble uploading the software from the internet so they had to send me out a cd. That rebate is pretty good, wish I had known about it before I made my purchase. I have only Used Norton and Mcafee and I like Norton better.

Dear Fabulosity,
Thanks for your input.

Sounds like you bought the "Internet Security 12778775" for $69.99 and not the $53.21 "Antivirus" with less features. Am I correct? In addition, is your software good for 3 PCs total?

Don't feel bad about not missing the rebate. You probably did not miss any great deals. I think the one that comes with the rebate is for one PC only. It is "Internet Security 12608434". Please check and confirm for me.

3 User means three computers in one home. I just got 360 protection for $20 after rebates- Staples- it's in their current circular. I upgraded from internet security. And it's the PC version.

I would not recommend downloading from norton.com, that is shaky and if something happens, it is easier to reinstall with a CD rather than trying to download it from a website.

HTH!

3 User means three computers in one home. I just got 360 protection for $20 after rebates- Staples- it's in their current circular. I upgraded from internet security. And it's the PC version.

I would not recommend downloading from norton.com, that is shaky and if something happens, it is easier to reinstall with a CD rather than trying to download it from a website.

HTH!

I am very confused. Sounds like there is another choice of 360 protection in addition to antivirus and internet protection. Please explain the various differences and advise which one for me to get. I want protection from viruses/spyware and internet invasion.

I would go with another brand...norton has a 'name' out there, but tends to really slow your computer down.

You are so right. I had free norton from netzero internet service before. The norton took up so much RAM memory that my computer became very slow. My computer has only 512MB RAM, and I am installing another 2GB RAM in order to get my computer to run faster and accomodate Norton. Dell recommends Norton for great protection, so I think I should get Norton.

HTH!
Sharing this info here in case someone else who is contemplating about purchasing antivirus/internet protection software can bebefit from it. Took the comments form here and did 2 things. 1. I visited the norton.com website and found out about the suitable software based on my needs (took a needs test). Conclusion: Norton 360 (the one that suits every need). 2. I checked buy.com for similar deals as Staples. Yup! They are offering a similar deal with free shipping and no tax. After a $30 mail-in rebate for the software and a $20 rebate for competitive/upgrade (whatever it means), the net price is $20.85. I am definitely getting it from buy.com. Besides, I earn points with my Buy.com CC.

Can anyone tell me what competive/upgrade rebate is good for? Can I use it for renewal next year?