USPS Shipping Insurance Question

minhtyfresh

Jun 25, 2007
Help, I just sold a Chanel handbag and the buyer paid immediately. I planned on mailing it this afternoon via USPS Priority Mail and getting it insured. However, USPS only insures up to $500. The bag is worth significantly more than that. What should I do? Is there additional insurance that I can purchase elsewhere? I'm just afraid of something happening to the handbag. I would rather be safe than sorry. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

In order to purchase insurance for more than $500 you need to go to the post office and purchase it.

Absolutely. Insurance over $500 is ONLY available at the Post Office. Also, be aware that many countries have limits on the insurance you may purchase to ship there. Most of Europe, including the UK, has a $675 limit. Asia and Australia have limits in the thousands.

Don't purchase any insurance online, you cannot tack on the diff at the PO, the entire amount must be purchased at the PO. Print your shipping label at home, buy online. When you go to the PO to buy the insurance, they will ask subtract what you have already pd from the amount due, this is WRONG (you lose your online discount), make sure you alert them to this (trust me, they don;t have a clue), You only want to pay for insurance so when they input the amt paid, they need to input the full postage amt (not the actual discounted amt). I'm an accountant so numbers are my life, it took me over an hour to get this sorted out one day, even the Postmaster had to get involved and couldn't figure out a way around it. It's simple they need to input the full postage even though you did not actually pay the full amount.
Hope that made sense.
CHeers