Birkin & Kelly handbags as an investment...

GirlieShoppe

Formerly HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
Please help me sell this idea to DH!

Yesterday he completely balked at the idea of spending several thousand dollars on a purse. I tried to explain to him that, unlike a car, H bags don't depreciate. I told him that if I ever wanted or needed to sell it I could probably recoup the bulk of what I spent.

I also tried to point out how much money I've wasted over the years on trendy bags that have gone out of style and are worth virtually nothing today. If I had just 2-3 H bags in basic colors, I would never have to buy another bag again. Over time, I would actually be saving a lot of money!

Up until recently, DH has gone along with my H obsession because it involved just scarves. Now that I am seriously planning to buy either a Birkin or Kelly (or both!), it's a different story.

Does anyone have any tips on how to convince DH this would be an investment and not a complete waste of money?

Thanks!

Yesterday he completely balked at the idea of spending several thousand dollars on a purse. I tried to explain to him that, unlike a car, H bags don't depreciate. I told him that if I ever wanted or needed to sell it I could probably recoup the bulk of what I spent.

I also tried to point out how much money I've wasted over the years on trendy bags that have gone out of style and are worth virtually nothing today. If I had just 2-3 H bags in basic colors, I would never have to buy another bag again. Over time, I would actually be saving a lot of money!

Up until recently, DH has gone along with my H obsession because it involved just scarves. Now that I am seriously planning to buy either a Birkin or Kelly (or both!), it's a different story.

Does anyone have any tips on how to convince DH this would be an investment and not a complete waste of money?

Thanks!

LOL, I don't know if THAT'S true... I kinda think the opposite will happen and you'll just get more and more addicted to H bags :roflmfao::graucho::nuts:

Oh wait, was I supposed to help you convince DH that you WON'T be spending more money? :P

I think that in general, Kellys and Birkins in good condition do retain their value much better than other bags. And the prices do seem to go up rather rapidly (another reason not to delay...). I'm not sure whether it is realistic to expect 100% back or more (others can comment on this). However, I can tell you that my husband appreciates the long-term value of Hermes so it could be a good argument for your DH. Just like fine jewelry and art, though, I wouldn't purchase H solely as a monetary investment...

Thanks!

A man's opinion here, it's hard to justify that a bag as an investment on a guy...he must really want to please you by getting it for you without the idea of an investment. Procuring the birkins for Mrs. P is not an act of investment financially but an investment on my appreciation of her and all the happiness, security and stability she has afforded me.

My opinion, use your charm...he'll get it for you...no matter what!

Last edited:
I do believe that Birkins hold their value more than Kellys do, and I think exotics do the best. I would never buy just in hopes of selling and breaking even. I have recently considered selling my Kelly - it's very heavy (leather-lined bags usually are!) and I'm having back problems. Even though I bought my bag less than a year ago, I know that I will not come even close to breaking even. So I'll just put it away until my back problems are fixed (hopefully!!!), and if they can't be, I'll just have to take the loss.

When one speaks of jewelry/antiques/Hermes as an investment, it's really not accurate most of the time. It is rare that an individual can bet retail price for jewelry, antiques need to be owned for a LONG time in order to "make" money for the buyer, and Hermes is not that different.

If my late husband were still living, I would NEVER have bought my Kelly - even though it was "my money", he would have had a huge problem with me spending that much on what, in the end, is "just a purse". He had no objection to Vuitton but that was when the monogram Vuittons were in the hundreds.

No handbag is worth causing strife in a marriage...

I complete agree with India. It is not worth it to fight over a purse with your DH. At first I hid my H bags from DH, but recently I have come
out clean with him. To my surprise, he was cool with it. Nothing beats carrying my beloved H in front of DH and even fondling in front of him! LOL. It is my money and I told him that I would not have bought it if I didnt think I could afford it. And also, I told him I have sold several bags so that I am just 'exchanging' it for another. At the end he was cool with it. And you know what, he was even happy that I found something I like. I don't think he could ever buy a h for me, at least he wouldnt object me buying. IMHO, maybe try letting him know what you have done (like selling your other bags) in order to fund your purchase. But it is def not worth it to make him think you might be irresponsible with money. I think that's their biggest fear.... :hugs: to you.

I can't honestly say I think any of my H items are investments. I resold a few Birkins many years ago and used the profit margin to justify acquiring additional bags. Given the prices these days, none of this is possible anymore. As has been said, they hold their value better than others, but there is no guarantee that you will be able to recoup the original price or close to it, especially if you are in a hurry to sell. Just my opinion though.

A man's opinion here, it's hard to justify that a bag as an investment on a guy...he must really want to please you by getting it for you without the idea of an investment. Procuring the birkins for Mrs. P is not an act of investment financially but an investment on my appreciation of her and all the happiness, security and stability she has afforded me.

:tup::tup::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

So true!

I can't honestly say I think any of my H items are investments. I resold a few Birkins many years ago and used the profit margin to justify acquiring additional bags. Given the prices these days, none of this is possible anymore. As has been said, they hold their value better than others, but there is no guarantee that you will be able to recoup the original price or close to it, especially if you are in a hurry to sell. Just my opinion though.

Just want to second this, as well as respond perhaps less facetiously :P. I honestly think it's going to be much much harder to recoup money in the future, with eBay getting more difficult to use as an occasional seller. The alternative is to sell through a reseller, which means you only recoup at best around 60% of the market price, and since you will be selling a used bag, you will not be selling at whatever the current market price is. Investments should appreciate; an H bag will most definitely depreciate, although usually not as rapidly or as much as a car or another designer bag.

Of course, H is still a better buy than other designer bags in terms of retaining monetary value; if you barely use your bag or send it to spa before you sell it, and you sell it several years later (when the retail prices are inevitably much higher), you might be able to recoup a significant percentage of your purchase price.

My first Kelly was the biggest hurdle and I got my 2nd and 3rd Kelly within a relatively short period of time. DH was a slightly uncomfortable with me bringing home the 3rd one but I managed to convince him that:
- I'm not spending more than what I cannot afford
- Kellys will not go out of style
- They last a long time and still look beautiful (I bought Kellys ranging from 12-21 years)
- I bought vintage pieces where the price points are lower than current retail
- I stopped looking at other bags
- I sold many bags and other stuff that I don't use anymore (cutting losses, I told him)

Although I think H bags tend to retain their values better than other brands, I don't think they are investment items in its true sense, unless they are unique collectors pieces. Even then, you will probably need to hold them for a long time. There is a reason why some resellers are able to sell pre-loved H bags at great prices.

DH does not buy the logic that H bags are investment items, I don't buy his logic that watches are investment items. We are both investment professionals so we use all objective reasons to argue against each other's reasoning.

At the end of the day, I think buying H bags is an emotional decision. As long as you spend within your means, get one and love it for a long time :heart:

Very sweet.

Oh sweetie, all I can say is good luck! My DH knows that my armcandy is generally $$$, especially given my tastes. But I never had to ask or tell him about the bags beforehand.
Sorry I'm not of much help. Keep us posted.