reentering workforce: season and color questions

No Cute

cupcake butt
Aug 17, 2008
Hi All,

I would like your ideas and advice about a couple things as I return to work this fall.

1. When do we pull out the fall colors? The purples and cranberries? Is it a date, when the weather cools? :shrugs:

2. Suede. When is it too much suede? I inherited a gorgeous blue suede blazer and put it next to my bags, and a black suede and red suede stood out. Can there be too much suede?

3. When do I pull out suede? (Similar to question 1.)

4. If you could get one clothing item for back to work, what would it be? A trench? I'm admiring this deal...am I too big for it? Size 10/12. I know I can get one to fit, but is this made for skinny girls, which I used to be :P http://haydenharnett.com/index.cgi?....cgi?action=detail&style=JINHEEKPB&view=front

1. Fall or when the weather cools.
2. I think this is simply a matter of personal preference.
3. Same as #2.
4. A neutral colored blazer, probably in some shade of grey...perhaps a tweed.

Hi All,

I would like your ideas and advice about a couple things as I return to work this fall.

1. When do we pull out the fall colors? The purples and cranberries? Is it a date, when the weather cools? :shrugs:

2. Suede. When is it too much suede? I inherited a gorgeous blue suede blazer and put it next to my bags, and a black suede and red suede stood out. Can there be too much suede?

3. When do I pull out suede? (Similar to question 1.)

4. If you could get one clothing item for back to work, what would it be? A trench? I'm admiring this deal...am I too big for it? Size 10/12. I know I can get one to fit, but is this made for skinny girls, which I used to be :P http://haydenharnett.com/index.cgi?....cgi?action=detail&style=JINHEEKPB&view=front

1. Depends on the material used. In New York, you'll see a lot of clothes in fall colors but in lightweight materials like silk. If you've got something like that, you can probably pull them out the first or second week in September. Anything else - wait for cooler weather.

2. For me, suede is such a standout fabric that it's better to limit its use, e.g., a suede blazer with suede shoes is better than suede blazer, skirt, shoes and bag. If your bag has a very simple style, you might get away with it. If not, pick another bag.

3. For suede, I'd definitely wait for cooler weather. The idea of carrying a suede bag on one of those ninety degree days that we occasionally get here in September makes me sweat as I'm typing this.

4. A trench is nice. However, the HH trench may be too short for you. According to the description on the HH website, it only comes to the tops of the thighs, which is an awkward length, IMHO. I always look for a well-cut blazer and a good pair of shoes in the fall.

I am not the first person to know about bag colors and such, I pretty much wear what seems to "fit" with my outfit, so if I am still wearing summery or lightweight colors/fabrics, then I probably wouldn't pick a suede or darker colored bag, KWIM?

As far as the trench, I agree it is a great buy, but I think you could probably find a more flattering shape??? In my opinion, a longer length blazer that is nipped in the waist slightly is flattering on almost anyone ~ I have one that is longer length in a lightweight material, and I like to think it looks good on.
And who says size 10 is LARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

I am not the first person to know about bag colors and such, I pretty much wear what seems to "fit" with my outfit, so if I am still wearing summery or lightweight colors/fabrics, then I probably wouldn't pick a suede or darker colored bag, KWIM?

As far as the trench, I agree it is a great buy, but I think you could probably find a more flattering shape??? In my opinion, a longer length blazer that is nipped in the waist slightly is flattering on almost anyone ~ I have one that is longer length in a lightweight material, and I like to think it looks good on.
And who says size 10 is LARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

Not me, no way no how :P But not skinny...:rolleyes:

That's what I thought about the trench...awesome coat, great color, but I didn't think it would hang right on a curvy girl. That's what the weight has done...added gigantic chachas :graucho:

Agreeing with you all...waiting on suede. Just making sure the "rules" hadn't changed.

2. For me, suede is such a standout fabric that it's better to limit its use, e.g., a suede blazer with suede shoes is better than suede blazer, skirt, shoes and bag. If your bag has a very simple style, you might get away with it. If not, pick another bag.
And the bags are VERY simple...very nice shapes, but zero embellishment, no hardware, I should get pics...I think I got them on clearance at Wilson's in the 80s or 90s but never wore them.

Curves have nothing to do with it - the problem is that the stylist who assisted in taking that picture needs to find another profession. That placket shouldn't bunch as it's doing in the picture. Curvy girls can and do wear cute little trench coats all the time - the key is to find a relatively straight fit and to adjust the self belt to show off your figure to its best advantage.

Curves have nothing to do with it - the problem is that the stylist who assisted in taking that picture needs to find another profession. That placket shouldn't bunch as it's doing in the picture. Curvy girls can and do wear cute little trench coats all the time - the key is to find a relatively straight fit and to adjust the self belt to show off your figure to its best advantage.

I like your thinking! So True!!