Question About E/S Brushes

illinirdhd

O.G.
Dec 14, 2007
Since entering the world of MAC, I've been wondering.... How do you manage your brushes when you're using different colors? I usually stick in the browns/neutrals, and haven't had a problem keeping 3 different brushes (different sizes/shapes) that I use for 3 different colors for my everyday look. But now I'm experimenting with a few different colors, and sometimes I want to use the same brush for 2 different colors in the same day. I don't want to wash the brush between each color, so I end up wiping them on a washcloth to get the majority of the color out before I use a brush for a different color. That makes DH :cursing: because I have a thing for white towels, so that's all I use! The makeup comes out in the wash, but I admit it's ugly in the meantime!

So do I buy a bunch of different brushes to use in different colors? That could get expensive since I love nice brushes. Or wipe them between colors like I have been doing? Or keep 3-4 brushes for the 3-4 colors I use each day, and then wash them every day when I finish my makeup?

Would love to hear your routine!

I usually only use one or two colors, so I normally use the same brush :smile:

Sometimes I use a paintpot and an eye shadow, so I use the same brush there ;)

When I just use eye shadows I just dust off the excess on my hand (washed) and then get a new color :smile:

I do the same as Sternchen...just wipe off on a clean hand when I use different e/s colors with the same brush.

I also tend to use certain brushes for lighter shadows (inner eye corner or highlighter) and separate brushes for deeper colors on the lids & crease.

I wash my brushes 2 or 3 times a week; the MAC 187 big face brush which I use for foundation gets washed daily.

I also just wipe mine off with a clean towel, I would love to know if there is a different way of doing it. I have all white towels too, but my SO wears a hand towel everyday so he has different colors to match all of his outfits (because he sweats a lot), so I took one of his old black towels that have faded and I use that for my makeup brush wiping needs lol!

I'm confused; are you girls wiping your dry brushes on towels to get the eyeshadow powder off as much off the bristles, or are washing your brushes with water in between color eyeshadows and then wiping them on towels?

For my everyday look, I don't use that many eyeshadows and happen to have enough eye makeup brushes for each color. But if I want to use more color and don't have enough brushes for each color, I just wipe the dry brush on a piece of toilet paper. I even use toilet paper when removing my eye makeup with the makeup remover. Why would you wipe makeup on a nice towel? Wouldn't that eventually stain your towels and then you'd have to purchase new ones every so often? :confused1:

I either use MAC brush cleaner with clean paper towel.
But usually I just wash with water and baby shampoo or whatever I'm using. I am OCD and have to wash every single brush I use directly after I use it.

I think I'll give my e/s brushes a good washing w/ baby shampoo and then try wiping them on my hand between colors. Thanks, girls!

lunatwinkle - yes, I wipe my dry brushes on dry washcloths to get the powder off them. I use a white towel because that's really all I use, and also because with a white towel, I can easily tell when the brush is clean because nothing else comes off of it. I replace my towels every couple of years anyway - I always like them soft and fluffy, but that soft, fluffiness never lasts for more than a couple of years for me. :smile:

I either use MAC brush cleaner with clean paper towel.
But usually I just wash with water and baby shampoo or whatever I'm using. I am OCD and have to wash every single brush I use directly after I use it.

OCD is probably exactly why Greg gets all hot and bothered that I wipe my brushes on white towels! OK, I'll try to stop it. I really try hard not to aggravate his OCD!

OCD is probably exactly why Greg gets all hot and bothered that I wipe my brushes on white towels! OK, I'll try to stop it. I really try hard not to aggravate his OCD!

It would bother me a lot to see a dirty towel in my bathroom. unless you dispose every time you wipe in the hamper. ^__^ Paper towels or tissues will work and you can just toss it. Keeps everything clean and sanitary :smile:)

I have at least 5-6 different e/s brushes, but if I use a bright (or dark) color, then I'll wash them afterwards. For everyday neutral looks I may just wipe them down with the Sephora brush cleaning wipes.

I wipe them off with a clean paper towel after each color (I tend to use many colors at a time). I disinfect them once a week with a cleaner from MAC, then I give them a good clean with baby shampoo once a month.