why do you love your Birkin

MissMargaux

TooMuchTrouble
O.G.
Aug 17, 2008
Since I can't sleep, I'll ask the question, Why do you love your Birkin?

I'm genuinely interested to hear the replies.

I love mine becuase a)I truely love the look b)it holds stuff well c)I don't feel it will be out of style next year after paying a lot of money. I really believe their is good value.

I can carry my dance shoes in there, a practice skirt, it's really a great tote, I can carry a baguette in it really well (yes I do this). My hubby laughs when I said I carried my baguette in it and I said well they are both french no? (my hubby is french), it is the best travel bag, and it wears well, and it has staying power.

It's not an "it bag of the moment". It has class and staying power. It's classic. The only thing I wish were it were lighter empty. It's a heavy bag, but with that said, it really IMHO give bang for the buck so to speak.

So why do you love your Birkins? I hope it's ok to ask this.

Because unlike the thousands of pounds I feel like I've wasted on buying IT bags the Birkin will NEVER go out of style.....it has longevity because of it's heritage. The fact that you can take it back to H for touch-ups or repairs also has lots of appeal so unlike other brands where you just throw it away once it gets past a certain point with this it can be given some TLC and looks amazing again.

I also like the romance of passing these bags down to a daughter

It's not an "it bag of the moment". It has class and staying power. It's classic. The only thing I wish were it were lighter empty. It's a heavy bag, but with that said, it really IMHO give bang for the buck so to speak.

I like to call these JAFIBs - "Just Another F***ing It Bag".

Great thread, by the way

Because unlike the thousands of pounds I feel like I've wasted on buying IT bags the Birkin will NEVER go out of style.....it has longevity because of it's heritage. The fact that you can take it back to H for touch-ups or repairs also has lots of appeal so unlike other brands where you just throw it away once it gets past a certain point with this it can be given some TLC and looks amazing again.

I also like the romance of passing these bags down to a daughter

My wife has also spent so much money on bags she uses for a year at most. I am hoping a Lindy (for Christmas this year, thinking 34 Clemence Graphite) and maybe eventually a Birkin might stem this. If we don't save the oney, we can at least spend it on the jewelry she wants.

I totally agree about the repairs. I bought a used barenia/toile herbag and it was so nice to be able to take it in and have it polished up and cleaned and be treated so well in doing so.

Agree with the passing down, though in my case to a son. He will be the proud owner of an HAC one day (though I do have to own it myself first :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the replies, I hope to read more. Yes, that is a big issue with me, I spent money on bags only to a)have them look so dated b)wear out and look shabby after a year.

Mooks, I totally agree with you on what you wrote and Matt. I feel I wasted so much money on bags that A)looked so outdated after a year B)looked shabby and worn out after a year or even 6 months for a few.

I don't have kids so I can't pass down, but I think that is a beautiful idea.

When I've read comments on other parts of this forum from people saying it's outrageous to spend so much on one bag I politely point out that they have probably spent enough on other bags to buy if not one then two Birkins!! If you want a ton of other bags then that's fine but for me I'd rather take my time and accumulate several Birkins I would love and know they will probably outlive me!!

When I've read comments on other parts of this forum from people saying it's outrageous to spend so much on one bag I politely point out that they have probably spent enough on other bags to buy if not one then two Birkins!! If you want a ton of other bags then that's fine but for me I'd rather take my time and accumulate several Birkins I would love and know they will probably outlive me!!

This is so well said. That is exactly how I feel. I was doing that at one point, not a lot of bags, but it doesn't take a lot, 3 bags of some label/style and you can have a Birkin (not exotic of course)

Well look at it this way a Fendy Spy is say $2,000 as is a Chloe Paddington, chuck in a couple of Balenciaga bags and an LV or two and you've got yourself a Birkin!

Well look at it this way a Fendy Spy is say $2,000 as is a Chloe Paddington, chuck in a couple of Balenciaga bags and an LV or two and you've got yourself a Birkin!

Oh I remember the fight over a Paddington, the first time it came out. I was at Saks NYC f and there were 3 women ighting over that bag. It was the last one and the SA was just beside himself and I actually felt sorry for the SA.

My friend bought a Prada, she paid good money for it, around $2500. I won't hurt her feelings when she said I hope to wear it for years. It's not a classic. Yes she will be able to probably wear it but it will look it's age.

A birkin has no age.

That's the thing that does bother me with alot of other bags I've bought, they just don't wear well and are designed to be almost disposable. I'd always find myself only using something for a certain amount of time before it got too worn so that I could then sell it on eBay