My ridiculously unfair job!!!

calzz

Mar 21, 2008
I'm a student who works for serioulsy measily pay at the vp office of my school. I live off campus so I have to drive to school 5x a week to work there part time during the school year, but I have also decided to work here during the summer because my research project is just down the street to it.

However, I didnt want to buy a summer parking permit to work here- wats the point, isn't the school supposed to be paying me and not the other way around?

So this guy in the office gave me a faculty/staff parking permit for free which i used with no problem for the entire summer...and i though "sweet free parking, and that guy's so nice"...

Little did i know that that permit was actually INVALID and I got an $80 ticket after thinking it was fine the whole summer....

So talked to the guy in the office and he basically did nothing about it, and told me to appeal it...then i got it appealed by my school's parking office and they wouldn't appeal it! So i went to my boss and she tried to get it appealed but they wouldnt do it!

IT's so unfair beccause I barely make anything at this job as is, and i have to pay all these fees. I'm not even taking summer school here- all i do is work for THEM! This happened about a month ago so I have been having to pay HOURLY parking every day which adds up to about $150 a month!

I'm so pissed that they would treat me like this!

I know how the parking pass thing goes...we also had to pay for them at my Uni in the states. There was a parking lot near the school and a shuttle would run back and forth (for free)...is there maybe something like that you could do? Or take the bus from your research project?

i work in DC and my job does not pay us for parking. It's anywhere from $10-$20 a day for parking here, too. I carpool to work so that's how I get around it.
I think it sucks that that guy gave you a pass that was invalid though.

wow that sucks, i think if anything, you should get the guy that gave you the invalid pass to pay the fine...i mean he should have known.

but at least think of it as...for the last 3 months, all you had to pay was $80 for all that parking you did? I think it's a luxury to get free parking cause most places (ie. universities, downtown) always charge for parking, so you should be happy that for the time being, you didnt have to pay hourly.

whats wrong with taking the city transit anyways?

wow that sucks, i think if anything, you should get the guy that gave you the invalid pass to pay the fine...i mean he should have known.

but at least think of it as...for the last 3 months, all you had to pay was $80 for all that parking you did? I think it's a luxury to get free parking cause most places (ie. universities, downtown) always charge for parking, so you should be happy that for the time being, you didnt have to pay hourly.

whats wrong with taking the city transit anyways?

Or, she could have looked at the exp date on the pass...or better yet, she could pass for her own pass like everyone else has to do.

The guy that gave you the pass should pay the $80. You can just tell him, very courteously, what happened, and if he is unaware of your remuneration situation, apprise him of it, and politely request reimbursement.

Is there some way you could "carpool" as a paying guest? You could give a most generous and fair gas contribution and still save money.

I imagine that you are already maintaining a heightened state of alert for employer upgrade possibilities...

I am gonna be on the other side of the argument. If the pass was expired, the ticket was warranted. It was a nice gesture of your co-worker to give you the pass but unfortunately neither he nor you checked the expiration date.

Don't think I'm harsh but having to pay for one's parking near one's job is a fairly common practice in congested cities/areas. Unless you can figure out public transportation options or other alternatives (carpooling with a co-worker, riding a bicycle, etc) it is what it is. I wouldn't call your job unfair because of it (as in your thread title).

The guy that gave you the pass should pay the $80. You can just tell him, very courteously, what happened, and if he is unaware of your remuneration situation, apprise him of it, and politely request reimbursement.

Is hell freezing over or something? I'm just not agreeing with anything you're saying lately.

Ignorance has never been an excuse. Try telling a Virginia Police officer that you didn't know radar detectors are illegal in his state and watch him laugh at you. It's your responsibility to be familiar with laws and what you're displaying when it pertains to rules and laws. So, I guess if this guy gave her an expired tag it would be his fault if she drove with it and got a ticket?
Lesson learned here, don't take anything for granted, cause ultimately you're responsible for it.

Is hell freezing over or something? I'm just not agreeing with anything you're saying lately.

Ignorance has never been an excuse. Try telling a Virginia Police officer that you didn't know radar detectors are illegal in his state and watch him laugh at you. It's your responsibility to be familiar with laws and what you're displaying when it pertains to rules and laws. So, I guess if this guy gave her an expired tag it would be his fault if she drove with it and got a ticket?
Lesson learned here, don't take anything for granted, cause ultimately you're responsible for it.

:biggrin: I don't think it is global warming getting confused in hell, I have been in a really nasty mood lately, thus less diplomatic, and much easier to disagree with than usual!

I am giving the poster the benefit of assuming that the ticket did not have "Expires on 4-20-64" printed on it in big red letters, but was some sort of color-coded thing that might have easily been the color of the dude's department or job title or shoe size, because I am also giving the dude the benefit of assuming that he did not intentionally give her a sticker that no longer stuck, and if it did have a date on it, then yes, she should have looked at it even if her own grandma gave it to her.

Not trying to be the b**ch, but why not check before actually using it? If someone gave me something that could possibly give me a ticket if invalid, I would check the date. He shouldn't have you invalid pass, yes. But you should have checked.

Hi Calzz! I did the practice as lawyer and I worked for 2 years for almost free (in the end I got 300 euro per month that's not much) and I totally understand why you are angry! It's not fair that you do your job and it worths a lot more than what you get and you have to pay parking, fuels etc!

Pay...not pass for a pass.. Ugh! Typoes!!

don't let it happen again!!!!! :supacool:

calzz - i am sure that it seems unfair to have to pay so much for parking, but honestly, that's one of the things you have to examine when you take a job offer. i only work in dc because i can carpool. i could not afford gas to/from every day (an hour+ each way) PLUS parking (at least $200/month). :sad: