LV Lock and airlines

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
I gave my friend a new LV speedy lock and keys that I had and she used it for her luggage (checked) when she flew home. She was shocked when she got home and went to open her suitcase the luggage lock was missing. I guess they cut it off???? It is not like she had very expensive luggage or anything one would want but it really is sad that she is out of a new lock which she wanted to use for her purse at work.
Has anyone had problems traveling with their locked luggage? Is it now a rule no locks? Hubby will be making some business trips soon and I would hate to think all his luggage locks will get cut off or opened.

I've had a piece of luggage that they unlocked. What I understand is only TSA locks are allowed, which they have keys to unlock if they want to screen your bag. If it's not a TSA lock, they can cut it open. Just make sure your husband has a TSA approved lock.

Last edited:
I just flew this weekend and found some info out about locks. You must use a TSA approved lock to avoid having your lock cut off. If they need to search your bag and it's a non TSA approved lock they have the right to cut it off.

So sorry your friend made this mistake. Its been quite a while now that luggage may only be locked with a TSA approved lock. She must not have seen all the signs and posters with those instructions. Oh well...

I used a LV lock on my luggage last week leaving the US, and always leave the locks open so if they need to be opened when x-rayed then they can be. I was told by the check in agent that they would lock it after it went through the machine. Of course when I landed and picked up my suitcase the lock was missing... Called my SA and she said locks are NZ$49 (US$35)!! Will see if I can get a free one from the boutique, but not sure...

Only TSA locks. I guess these new rules are for safety but some kill me. I had to beg one of the security not to throw away my facewash. It was Chanel and I just bought it. He let me keep it but took my Bath and body shower gel.

If you're traveling in & around the US, no locks.

yup-yup. sadly this is the case these days.
i only bring my lock & key to lock my luggage in hotel, so that the hotel cleaning staff (if they have sticky fingers & nosey minds) decide to go through my luggage while i'm away from hotel room and they're in there cleaning..