Rant about Woody Allen & Roman Polanski

natalie_palm

May 6, 2007
This might not be the proper place to post this, and I was just briefly reading a post about judging others, but I had to spit this out because it just enrages me.
Is is not hypocritical/wrong/blind for Hollywood to idolize these two when they are basically KNOWN pedophiles and child rapists? Polanski can't come back to the states, Allen is with someone who he started with when she was a child (HIS child) yet all these stars talk about what an honor it is to work with them and they receive awards and have statues made for them....Am I being ignorant or intolerant? I am just so disgusted by it. The actresses that praise working wtih Allen make me sick. Can someone enlighten me????

I may get flamed for this, but I think when people discuss Allen and Polanski, they are commenting on their work and not their personal lives. I agree that both are creepy, but I don't think it has anything to do with their artistic abilities.

I don't think anyone is bothered by this such as I am , or interested...lol...but just in case, a brief synopsis of Polanski:

Roman Raymond Polanski (born August 18, 1933) is an Academy Award-winning and four-time nominated film director, writer, actor and producer. After beginning his career in Poland, Polanski became a celebrated arthouse filmmaker and Hollywood director of such films as Rosemary's Baby (1968) and Chinatown (1974). Polanski is considered one of the world’s great film directors.[1]
He is also known for his tumultuous personal life. He lived in Nazi occupied Poland during WWII. In 1969, his pregnant wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered by the Manson Family. In 1978, after pleading guilty in a plea bargain with the Los Angeles district attorney, to "unlawful sexual intercourse" with a 13-year-old girl,[2] Polanski fled to France before sentencing. He now lives there and has French citizenship (France has limited extradition with the United States). He is considered by U.S. authorities to be a fugitive from justice.
He has continued to direct films from Europe, including Frantic (1988), Death and the Maiden (1994), The Ninth Gate, the Academy Award-winning and Cannes Film Festival Palme d'Or-winning The Pianist (2002), and Oliver Twist (2005).

But shouldn't they both be in jail???

That's why Polanski's in France... he is considered a fugitive in the U.S.

Not sure about Woody Allen, though and haven't watched much of his films, but I do like Roman Polanski's films. I agree with the above poster that people find their work to be brilliant.

I think it is incredibly sad that his wife was murdered by the Mansons and she was pregnant. That does not excuse his affair with the teenage girl, but it must have been awful what he went through.

That's why Polanski's in France... he is considered a fugitive in the U.S.

Not sure about Woody Allen, though and haven't watched much of his films, but I do like Roman Polanski's films. I agree with the above poster that people find their work to be brilliant.

I think it is incredibly sad that his wife was murdered by the Mansons and she was pregnant. That does not excuse his affair with the teenage girl, but it must have been awful what he went through.

I agree - with all that you say. But he didn't have an affair per se with he 13 yo - he drugged her! (allegedly) and to me that just taints their work. I know most of the outrageous geniuses are a little off, but the whole pedophile thing and them not paying for it and then being IDOLIZED just gets me everytime. I am on this rant b/c of an article I read in People Mag - so forgive me.

Yes, I see what you are saying. I guess people are just too selfish to care because they are too busy enjoying their movies. Sad, but true.

It's a good question you bring up, and honestly, I don't know the answer to that. It happened so long ago, so perhaps it has been diminished through time. I also think the fact that Polanski had to flee to another country creates this mystery and fascination to him that piques people's interest and curiosity.

I am not trying to defend either of them, but just find an explanation. In all honesty, I love Roman Polanski's work and will watch his movies. I guess it's not so great that I support him and even own some of his movies, but I guess I became a fan of his movies before I realized who the guy even was and I didn't know much about the case, just that he fled to France.

yea, I hear ya. And it has been a long time ago with Polanski, I just know so much about the story that it galls me he got an award with in the past couple of years. I mean they BASHED that guy on Grey's Anatomy when he made the remarks about....is it TR Knightly - anyway, he made anti-homosexual remarks. Dunno - I don't even know any of Allen's or Polanski's movies so I am speaking blindly about there talent too, so that is my ignorance...

Well if you do decide, try watching Bitter Moon. It's my favorite of Polanski's. Warning, it contains nudity, but it's tasteful. It's a typical foreign film type of nudity. On second thought the ending is a little disturbing but in a good way..it's hard to explain.. but anyway, I think if you did watch one of their films, it may give you an insight as to why people admire their work.

I am in no way saying it is okay what they did, and I am not going to judge either of them (well perhaps Polanski's was a little worse but I still don't know all of the circumstances).

What about this- is it okay to still admire what Bill ******* did for the US despite his affair?

I think it's a great question and not sure that there is an answer.

Maybe people just don't think it was horrible enough of a thing to shun either of them? I just don't know. I do think it's different from something like the case of OJ Simpson where he wanted to release a book. I wouldn't go near that book with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited:
LOL Funny that you say that because you got me thinking about your perspective, too, which I never really considered. I guess I was so far removed because he is not of my era, so it's not something that is really talked about anymore. But now that you mention it, it is definitely something to ponder.

Anyway I enjoy the conversation! :smile:

I personally don't know enough about all the details about what they did, why they did how they did it, etc. or what kind of fallout they have suffered over it - its easy to judge someones actions on the surface. Because on the surface, things look pretty bad. But then again, I think about the things I may have done in my past that may have looked pretty bad on the surface. No one knows the aftermath of what I've been through or the consequences that have followed. I don't know what consequences have followed these guys and its really none of my business. When I read about someone who has killed someone, or has stolen or basically has done some kind of damage towards another, it angers me like the next person. But then I wonder what kind of life has this person lead, what kind of childhood, what abuse if any has been suffered, etc. Everyone is damaged is some way - some more severely than others. I do believe in justice and not always the kind we as humans dish out but the unseen justice, the checks and balances of this world. I refuse to overwhelm myself about how so and so has gotten away with something or wish punishment on someone as that only develops a vengeful heart. You cannot have a vengeful heart and a compassionate heart at the same time. Without getting religious, only as it applies to me, I believe in a God that sees everything, a God who is just and a God that everyone will have to answer to sooner or later. Thats why I can be peaceful about things like this cause after a certain point, it is between God and that person and has nothing to do with me. I have enough on my own plate, making sure I am on the right track rather than fret about anyone elses shortcomings.
I'm not a Polanski fan myself. I do like Woody Allen films. But the admiration stops there. I don't have to like their judgement to appreciate their work. Do you like Picasso? Well he was a class A-1 a**hole to women. There are plenty of artists out there with skeletons in their closets. If you only are going to appreciate things that come from perfect, spotless people, you aren't going to like anything cause everyone falls short somewhere in their lives and if we really looked into every persons past, you will find things that are less than noble. Again, not to stick up for either of these guys but do you really believe they are the only two men in Hollywood or politics for that matter who have robbed the cradle? The only difference is, they got caught.