Is conditioning leather necessary?

christylou

O.G.
Dec 28, 2007
Most of my bags are leather, but I've never conditioned, Appled, sprayed them with anything. Does treating the leather really make a difference and what's the potential affect on the leather if I don't ever do anything? TIA

It all depends on the environment they are stored in and the weather they live in and exposed to. Some leathers are hardier than others, better quality than others. Leather can dry out, it can crack, fray and fall apart. It needs to breath and retain moisture, kind of like our "skin!"

What I do know is my leathers feel and look great after I moisturize them.

Conditioning makes a BIG difference! Leather dries out just like skin, and since you live in AZ you've sen what constant exposure to the sun can do to skin. Air conditioning dries leather out too.

Check Coach's website for their recommendations about which kinds of leathers should and shouldn't be conditioned, and then buzz down to Pep Boys or some place that sells Lexol Conditioner and pick up a bottle. Then spend an evening doing every one of your leather bags and the leather straps and trim on your fabric bags..

I condition my leather Coaches at least once a year and even the ones that are 15 years old look brand new. It doesn't make sense to spend good money on a bag and then not take care of it.

http://www.lexol.com/retailers.html

http://www.coach.com/cservice/FaqTemplate.aspx?faq_id=39

Once a year^ Thanks Hyacinth. I always wondered, but never asked or researched on the # of times.

It really depends on how much they're used. If you live in a rainy climate, condition them more often. If you're just doing a home - car - office - car - home routine and live in a temperate climate, they take less care than if you're hiking five blocks thru a crowded midtown full of diesel bus fumes or standing hip to hip with the Unwashed Masses in a crowded bus or subway twice a day. Sun, dry climates, dust, pollution all take its toll just like on human skin. If you live in an area that's hard on your skin it'll be hard on your purses too.

And clean them before conditioning them if they need it, especially if you have a habit of putting them down on the floor at your job, in restaurants or in your car. Coach leather cleaner is good but I can't recommend their leather conditioner because it contains silicon - use Lexol or Apple products instead.

Thanks for the advice Hyacinth. You really are a wealth of knowledge. I'm going to look for that Lexol Conditioner and try that. Hubby will be so excited when I tell him I need to go do a little shopping at Pep Boys! His birthday is coming up, maybe this will be my present to him--an evening at Pep Boys.

It really depends on how much they're used. If you live in a rainy climate, condition them more often. If you're just doing a home - car - office - car - home routine and live in a temperate climate, they take less care than if you're hiking five blocks thru a crowded midtown full of diesel bus fumes or standing hip to hip with the Unwashed Masses in a crowded bus or subway twice a day. Sun, dry climates, dust, pollution all take its toll just like on human skin. If you live in an area that's hard on your skin it'll be hard on your purses too.

And clean them before conditioning them if they need it, especially if you have a habit of putting them down on the floor at your job, in restaurants or in your car. Coach leather cleaner is good but I can't recommend their leather conditioner because it contains silicon - use Lexol or Apple products instead.

Thanks for the detailed info. :tup:
Do you have any recommendations for the patent leather?
I remember a link LizCordova posted for something called patent glow, but I haven't seen any detailed tips/tricks for patent leather.

Thanks for the advice Hyacinth. You really are a wealth of knowledge. I'm going to look for that Lexol Conditioner and try that. Hubby will be so excited when I tell him I need to go do a little shopping at Pep Boys! His birthday is coming up, maybe this will be my present to him--an evening at Pep Boys.

Wow, he's easy to please! You're a lucky lady!

Wonder what he'd do for an evening at.... <whispers> Home Depot? ;)

Thanks for the detailed info. :tup:
Do you have any recommendations for the patent leather?
I remember a link LizCordova posted for something called patent glow, but I haven't seen any detailed tips/tricks for patent leather.

No, none of my bags are patent. I know that you should dry and clean it right away if it gets wet but that's all I know - oh, and don't use Vaseline.

Even Google isn't much of a help, maybe someone here will have some suggestions.