The spoiled under-30 crowd

I'm 27, and I can more than relate to this stuff, not just because of my age.

My parents immigrated from Communist Poland just before my birth, they were used to NOTHING, I mean they had to sew their own clothes and stand an hour in line for bread. Forget TV! They were practical people to a fault, and this affected my childhood. We had few 'luxuries' and they defined luxury alot differently than most people.

We had the same 1978 model tv until 2000. The remote broke in 1988 so you had to go up to the TV to change one of 6 channels. We didn't get any cable until I was 19. LOLLL. My parents didn't get a microwave until 1999, shortly after we got up to date with the cordless phone rage. My mother's definition of a shopping spree was Saturday garage sales. We got a computer in the late 90s that we all had to share. My dad hadn't been using the internet until the past year. Lets not get into how long it took us to get on top of the cellphones. haha..

Haha I loved my childhood. I don't feel like I missed out at all, but I definitely don't think that people who have more than I did are spoiled.

My parents immigrated from Communist Poland just before my birth, they were used to NOTHING, I mean they had to sew their own clothes and stand an hour in line for bread. Forget TV! They were practical people to a fault, and this affected my childhood. We had few 'luxuries' and they defined luxury alot differently than most people.

We had the same 1978 model tv until 2000. The remote broke in 1988 so you had to go up to the TV to change one of 6 channels. We didn't get any cable until I was 19. LOLLL. My parents didn't get a microwave until 1999, shortly after we got up to date with the cordless phone rage. My mother's definition of a shopping spree was Saturday garage sales. We got a computer in the late 90s that we all had to share. My dad hadn't been using the internet until the past year. Lets not get into how long it took us to get on top of the cellphones. haha..

Haha I loved my childhood. I don't feel like I missed out at all, but I definitely don't think that people who have more than I did are spoiled.

HAHAHHAA!! i too can relate to parts of the movie "goodbye lenin" about the east german/eastern bloc way of life. i could go on forever about all the funny stuff, lol

Hey if that makes you feel better I was born and raised in France, but my parents are big money savers, and they update on technology stuff by the time other´s grand parents do !!
So we also had a 1977 model TV (in color !) WITHOUT remote control, until it broke which was (due to the high quality back then) in 1994 !!
They didn´t get a microwave until the 00´s and internet last year lol !!!

But now I feel I am also slow on updating on these stuff...I don´t have an Iphone:sad:

Don't forget, there was no TIVO either.

And making your own videos usually involved knowing a friend who had a video camera and piggybacking two VCRs off of each other so you could "edit" the tape. And forget about music videos without more complicated equipment.

And even if you did make a good video, the only way people would see it was by passing it around. There was no YouTube to distribute it on.

Last edited:
I am 28 and I swear this made me laugh my butt off. Funny how there was no mention of actually having to write your papers, because not everyone had their own computer!
And if you were lucky enough to own a personal computer, there was no such thing as Windows. You had to actually program in all the format codes yourself!

I am 28 and I swear this made me laugh my butt off. Funny how there was no mention of actually having to write your papers, because not everyone had their own computer!
And if you were lucky enough to own a personal computer, there was no such thing as Windows. You had to actually program in all the format codes yourself!

yes, i vividly remember 9th grade english, our teacher assigned big essays, many drafts, and we had to hand write them all! so even if the final draft wasn't too much different than the rough draft, you had to sit there and hand write it all over again! hahah!

i didn't even know how to turn a computer on until i was 15.:wtf::roflmfao:

And making your own videos usually involved knowing a friend who had a video camera and piggybacking two VCRs off of each other so you could "edit" the tape. And forget about music videos without more complicated equipment.

And even if you did make a good video, the only way people would see it was by passing it around. There was no YouTube to distribute it on.

i totally did this! and i thought it was the COOLEST thing ever, LOL:roflmfao:

Hey if that makes you feel better I was born and raised in France, but my parents are big money savers, and they update on technology stuff by the time other´s grand parents do !!
So we also had a 1977 model TV (in color !) WITHOUT remote control, until it broke which was (due to the high quality back then) in 1994 !!
They didn´t get a microwave until the 00´s and internet last year lol !!!

But now I feel I am also slow on updating on these stuff...I don´t have an Iphone:sad:

I don't have an iphone either!

Its great to know people out there had such similar parents/ childhoods! I take a strange pride in mine:smile:

Actually we are the so called generation Y (ppl born after the 1980). I was on the cover of a financial magazine 2 years ago as the face of this generation. Yack...