Australian Harper's-tPF mention

Suzie

O.G.
Nov 12, 2006
I bought the Australian Harper's Bazaar (September) earlier in the week and have not had a chance to flick through, well I just picked it up and there is an article caller Emotional Baggage by Jamie Huckbody. It is an article about the Kelly bag. Then I get to paragraph 5 and woohoo, it mentions tPF and 3 of our members: I will type out the 2 paragraphs (any spelling mistakes are mine:

Disciples range from those who acknowledge each others membership into this most-exclusive of clubs with a subtle nod, to those fans who regularly log onto www.purseblog.com, a website dedicated to women with a passion for handbags. The subscribers- about 60,000 in total - can even hang out in a dedicated area for Hermes aficionados. Women with cyber aliases, such as H_addict and BirkineSS, are an interesting bunch because, just like the bag about which they are passionate, they are an intelligent and sophisticated fraternity, made up of surgeons, pharmacists, lawyers and financial consultants.
"Some of us here have more bags than the really wealthy people," Shopmom411 has said. "We're just average ladies with a passion.: But how could they be average when they truly understand what makes a Kelly bag so desirable - the painstakingly - detailed method behind each one?

Whew, that took me ages.. Hope you guys enjoyed it..

Thanks for sharing but it sounds like a paraphrased version of Kelly Girls, the New York Times article by Christine Muhlke. Did the author cite that as a reference? Here are some snippets (underlined are the similarities):

Purseblog.com is a two-year-old site whose 58,000 forum members chat about Marc, Louis, Jimmy et al. The site’s most elite forum is, naturally, Hermès, where women with handles like H_addict and BirKineSS post their latest purchases, rhapsodize over their dream sacs and go into so much detail about leather and hardware you’d think it was a Dungeons & Dragons site.
And traceyd is a successful screenwriter. They were joined by an anesthesiologist, a surgeon, a pharmacist, a lawyer, a corporate risk management consultant, another psychologist and a designer from Australia the next evening, at an Upper East Side town house. They weren’t all draped in scarves and enamel bracelets; one wore sweats. In fact, the more they spoke, the more it became clear that they were collectors, not shopaholics — another rabbit hole entirely.
Shopmom411 said, “We saw all these women with Birkins on Madison, and I don’t think any of them appreciate what they have.” The gang clucked in disbelief. “Some of us have more bags than the really wealthy people,” she said. “We’re just average ladies with a passion.”
Peace, Suzie. :P

Last edited:
Ooohh good eye, allan! And do you know who the writer is? Jamie Huckbody! The editor of Australian Harper's Bazaar himself! Shame, shame! :tdown:

Perhaps we should bring this to his attention...? :P

Thank suzie and Allen! Hey OT~ Allen how do you multi quote?

Like the one I did above?

I copy the piece of text on the text box, highlight it, and choose the Quote icon between the image button and YouTube button.

The other multi-quote which was available before but now I do "semi-manually". I right-click on the Quote button, and choose "Open in a new Tab" (I use Firefox) and then get the resulting quote snippet, to get like this:

Thank suzie and Allen! Hey OT~ Allen how do you multi quote? Example 1

Thank suzie and Allen! Hey OT~ Allen how do you multi quote? Example 2

Thank suzie and Allen! Hey OT~ Allen how do you multi quote? Example 3

I wonder if the New York Times and Bazaar have some sort of agreement or are somehow affiliated so that content is as easily exchangeable as that. Surely this is some form of plagiarism otherwise?

Oh, there is a very long and sordid history on this NYT article...you can't imagine...and I can't even help you imagine because that thread wasn't just shut down, it was obliterated from the record....

Memories...like the misty corners...