tPFers hidding their location - WHY?

LeMonde

Loving Life :)
O.G.
Oct 14, 2007
Maybe it's a silly question but I'm really curious... :confused1:
Why many members hide their locations? I'd love to know from which part of the world / states members are when sharing posts on the same thread. Any ideas?

For security reasons I only put the city of which I live in. There is quite a bit of $$ that rolls through alot of the threads and I don't think any of us wish to be some manics target kwim?

Of course its always for a little extra security, but considering there are a LOT of people that live in any given City or State, I dont know how someone could track you down just from stating the City/State you live in. I dont think anyone is expecting the exact location of where you reside! lol.

I also like to know where everyone is from, but whatever! Its there choice to list it, and if they dont, everyone has their reasons....

I had a couple of close calls, so I don't have my pic on my avatar anymore or my city.
I post enough personal stuff on here, I really don't want anything weird to happen, too, so I prefer to remain somewhat anonymous.

Of course its always for a little extra security, but considering there are a LOT of people that live in any given City or State, I dont know how someone could track you down just from stating the City/State you live in. I dont think anyone is expecting the exact location of where you reside! lol.

I also like to know where everyone is from, but whatever! Its there choice to list it, and if they dont, everyone has their reasons....

If there's a will, there's a way. It's evident even on this forum here and beyond easy to locate people based on what they say online. It requires little information.

My physical location is actually a poor representation of where I'm "from"

It's actually really easy to track people down. Sites like intelius.com require very little info. I can type in your first name and the state that you live in and probably deduce who you are based on your age and specified city. That is scary. That's why I choose not to be forthcoming with my exact info. There are a lot of crazy and desperate people out there and I don't want them showing up on my doorstep!

It's actually really easy to track people down. Sites like intelius.com require very little info. I can type in your first name and the state that you live in and probably deduce who you are based on your age and specified city. That is scary. That's why I choose not to be forthcoming with my exact info. There are a lot of crazy and desperate people out there and I don't want them showing up on my doorstep!

Okay just for sh*ts and giggles, I put my name into that site^ and to my shock came back an offer of $49.95 (WITH A 10% DISCOUNT IF I BECOME A CLUB MEMBER, MIND YOU!) to buy the following info: my phone number, names of relatives, date of birth, address, home value and income!

First of all, who compiles this info?
Second: Is this freaking LEGAL?
Third: I cant even find MY OWN telephone number on the internet; how are these people doing it!?

:wtf:

Okay just for sh*ts and giggles, I put my name into that site^ and to my shock came back an offer of $49.95 (WITH A 10% DISCOUNT IF I BECOME A CLUB MEMBER, MIND YOU!) to buy the following info: my phone number, names of relatives, date of birth, address, home value and income!

First of all, who compiles this info?
Second: Is this freaking LEGAL?
Third: I cant even find MY OWN telephone number on the internet; how are these people doing it!?

:wtf:

They give basic info for free-name, age, places you've lived. I believe it all comes from public info-utility bills/accounts, rental agreements, etc. I'm sure the subscribed $49.95 info comes from public records as well, and yes it is legal. It's amazing what is available on the internet. I wonder what kind of a creep would become a club member?
There was a big uproar recently in my area because a local newspaper posted an online link for a database for all california state workers salaries. That meant that if your neighbor worked for the state of california, you could be nosy and find out their income. It also meant that coworkers could snoop on each other as well.

^I think it may be a hit or miss thing you might be placed in a group of which to pick from but I really don't know.

Its actually very easy to do if you think about it. In one thread you post the actual city you live in, another thread you say oh I've never been married I've lived by myself for the last two years. Next you might say oh I shop at the target in say palm springs on 44th because they sell eggs half off. So now someone of not so good intentions has the city that you live and that you are alone and where you shop. Maybe in your member name part of your name is there or some such. It really isn't too difficult to find someone but only if you allow it.

A while ago there was some trouble on the hermes thread, somehow some person found out the names of the members and rang their local Hermes stores and told the manager's that they had been reselling bags for profit and they became blacklisted at stores