Shocking TV program: Chanel made in China

Alice From Italy

Proud Member
O.G.
Jun 7, 2006
Hi Ladies, I was the first to say that Chanel and Vuitton don't make their products in China etc and I always wrote it in every italian forum, here etc.

I was told that yesterday evening a very important and trustable italian program (called REPORT and showed on RAI TRE) made a report about Chanel and Vuitton producing in China and using chinese workers here in Italy.

I am shocked because it's a serious trasmission, made by professionists.

If somebody of you understands italian can be read and see the video at:
http://www.report.rai.it/R2_popup_articolofoglia/0,7246,243^1078530,00.html

Alice, you said someone told you about this, but did you actually see the report yourself?

As far as I could understand it, this was a report on counterfeit bags.

I saw the first 5 minutes of the video. It's about this mall in Shenzhen in China that is known for selling fake Chanels (and Burberry, Prada, Gucci etc etc). So maybe the programme is about fake designer goods being made in China? If so, then, no worries. We all know fake Chanels are made in China. :rolleyes:

don't know if any of you read the book "deluxe: how luxury lost its luster". Very interesting read about luxury goods. According to that author, many designers farm stuff out to China and other areas and try to hide it. She even mentioned bags being made there and the "bamboo handles' being attached in italy then stamping the bag made in italy even though the entire bag (except for the handle) were made in China.

Having said that, she indicates in the book that Chanel and Hermes do not farm stuff out yet and still produce stuff by hand. Even chanel perfume still buys some of its flowers from the same farm in France that they have used for many many years.

Its an interesting read.

I have just read the whole story and it is actually not all about fake handbags but about how designers are bending the laws which require certain standards to be maintained in order for a product to carry the Made in Italy trademark. (I should mention that I was born and raised in Italy and italian is my mother tongue). Basically in the report it says that according to current laws, for a product to have the made in italy trademark it has to be produced in italy for at least 70% of it so it's common to have shoes and handbags to be worked on originally in china and then shipped back to italy to finish the product. The brands mentioned were chanel, vuitton, jimmy choo etc. However the report showed that a lot of designers, such as bottega veneta, have their bags made in italy but by chinese workers (the handbags cost about 150 euro to make). It is common also to have the core of the shoe to be completed in chinese factories in italy and then handed over to the Italian shoe makers to complete it. The report also mentions thar other brands stretch the truth a little more and actually have their product done 70% in china, it then leaves china with a made in china sticker and once it arrives in italy, the sticker is removed, final touches are added and the made in italy mark is added. Sorry for the long post!!! It is quite shocking but a sign of the time, everyone tries to cut corners in their production cost but the report ends with an appeal to the European Union to change the standards for the made in Italy trademark so that the consumer may be more aware of what they are actually buying.

I read the text as I can't see the video.
There were some things I couldn't understand as there weren't pics but they showed that Bottega Veneta is made by chinese workers which are not here regulary (we say "clandestino") and they cost less than 100 euro and are sold for 3500 euro.
They also said that the Chanel and Vuitton items made in Italy are made in some small fabrics where there are many chinese - not regular here in Italy - in poor conditions.
The chinese owner of the fabric said that Chanel and Vuitton staff come there only to check quality but they don't check the conditions of the workers. They also said that Gucci is the only brand so far (together with its group) which has a sort of paper of the quality for workers and care about this matter.
And they said all that Fendibbag said.

I have just read the whole story and it is actually not all about fake handbags but about how designers are bending the laws which require certain standards to be maintained in order for a product to carry the Made in Italy trademark. (I should mention that I was born and raised in Italy and italian is my mother tongue). Basically in the report it says that according to current laws, for a product to have the made in italy trademark it has to be produced in italy for at least 70% of it so it's common to have shoes and handbags to be worked on originally in china and then shipped back to italy to finish the product. The brands mentioned were chanel, vuitton, jimmy choo etc. However the report showed that a lot of designers, such as bottega veneta, have their bags made in italy but by chinese workers (the handbags cost about 150 euro to make). It is common also to have the core of the shoe to be completed in chinese factories in italy and then handed over to the Italian shoe makers to complete it. The report also mentions thar other brands stretch the truth a little more and actually have their product done 70% in china, it then leaves china with a made in china sticker and once it arrives in italy, the sticker is removed, final touches are added and the made in italy mark is added. Sorry for the long post!!! It is quite shocking but a sign of the time, everyone tries to cut corners in their production cost but the report ends with an appeal to the European Union to change the standards for the made in Italy trademark so that the consumer may be more aware of what they are actually buying.

thank you for translating and explaining!

I read this, too, and tend to believe it about most brands. Chanel, I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Consumers tend to believe that goods that aren't made in Italy/France aren't real "luxury" and therefore it's as much of a marketing effort as it is a cover-up to state that items are made in Europe rather than where they actually are mostly made in China.

A lot of shoes have ONLY the soles produced in Italy but are marked "Made in Italy." Yet every other part of the shoe is made in China.

The same goes for Swiss watches. Only 50% of the parts in a "Swiss watch" have to actually be made in Switzerland.

fendibbag thank you so much for translating, I believe its all true..everybody wants to cut costs and gain more profit, i think that's exactly what they are doing.
Ok i might be killed by some of u by saying this.....but my friend is the owner of a factory here in asia that produce HERMES plates and all super fine kitchenware. And yes its all handmade from the scratch and Hermes is very selective which one can be accepted for their standard but Yes once again the plates etc is from asia...
ow and my other friend...is exporting cowhides and LEATHERS to prada in italy...
its a harsh reality but the world is working that way..

It's kind of disgusting for them to do this. I absolutely despise when people are working in a poor environment & conditions. It's not humane at all.

I'm disappointed that Chanel does this.
It's wrong to mislead people.
I don't understand why ALL of it just can't be made in France/Italy?
Chanel has enough money. So greedy.

It's sick.
This world is so ridiculous, but unfortunately I can't change it.

similar discussions has been boiling among many Chinese forums, some even locate the factory and see the entire process complete. Yet it's a no brainer this is happening, while Chanel have it's reputation to keep, stock holders' profit is not tobe sacrfice either. Luxury good should be like cars, detail exact what countries are invovle in production as well as their respective %.

I wanted to thank Alice from Venice for the heads up about this report:smile: Reading the transcript it looks like italian craftmen are losing the business to their chinese counterparts in italy because they can produce the same item at half price (I think the making of the shoe sole was 9 euros instead of 18). Some companies, like Diego della Valle (think Hogan) have actually come out and said they would produce children's shoes in china and those shoes are bearing the made in china sticker...also they are priced much cheaper. I am not sure if the situation is better with the Made in France trademark...usuallu European Union guidelines apply to all countries in the union and therefore designers in France could find the same loopholes used for the Made in Italy.
It's kind of disgusting for them to do this. I absolutely despise when people are working in a poor environment & conditions. It's not humane at all.

I'm disappointed that Chanel does this.
It's wrong to mislead people.
I don't understand why ALL of it just can't be made in France/Italy?
Chanel has enough money. So greedy.

It's sick.
This world is so ridiculous, but unfortunately I can't change it.

don't know if any of you read the book "deluxe: how luxury lost its luster". Very interesting read about luxury goods. According to that author, many designers farm stuff out to China and other areas and try to hide it. She even mentioned bags being made there and the "bamboo handles' being attached in italy then stamping the bag made in italy even though the entire bag (except for the handle) were made in China.

Having said that, she indicates in the book that Chanel and Hermes do not farm stuff out yet and still produce stuff by hand. Even chanel perfume still buys some of its flowers from the same farm in France that they have used for many many years.

Its an interesting read.

That was a great book. And it did say many designers have their authentic items made in China.