Will you buy a birkin with no rain cover provided?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oily

Mar 18, 2008
Hi ladies,

There are so many nice birkin & kelly we adore offered by resellers. Some come with all set of accessory but some don't. I found a birkin that got my heart from a reliable reseller; however, the bag has no rain cover.....??? If you were me, what would you decide...to buy or to pass?

I have no idea how much the rain cover would be if we order from H store...Does anyone know?

I have no idea how necessary the rain cover would be...Does anyone know? :shrugs:

I would still buy the bag that does not come with raincover. I never use the raincover. It just sits in the box forgotton. For protection from rain/dirty floor, I bring along a plastic bag which I think provides better protection than the raincover

Similarly, I never use the lock and keys. It is difficult enough to get in and out of the bag. I do not want to mess with opening and closing the lock all day long. Besides, the lock does not really protect against theft. I always leave the lock in the box, put on a beautiful charm instead, and leave the clochette on the bag as decoration.

Definitely don't let a missing rain cover stop you from buying a birkin - it is highly unlikely you would use it anyway... I have never even taken them out of their pouches. If its raining, or threatens rain when I leave the house, I leave the birkins home.

It is an interesting question to ask the experts -- TPFers, do you ever use your rain cover? Do you find that it works? It would be great to hear and learn from others!!

Urgh raincovers.....TBH they are a waste of time, wouldn't bother me in the slightest if a bag didn't have them. I used one once and promptly tore it and when I finally got it over the bag it was just flapping around everywhere

I called my local H store & asked for the price of the rain cover. The SA told me that they had to check with H in France and it would be their very first time to place an order of rain cover. (sounds like it'd cost a fortune)

I called my local H store & asked for the price of the rain cover. The SA told me that they had to check with H in France and it would be their very first time to place an order of rain cover. (sounds like it'd cost a fortune)

I never used, am not using and will never want to use the rain cover & the lock/key. I don't even need the orange box since I don't have enough closet space.

I will purchase a birkin/kelly in a heartbeat from a reseller without the rain cover. Nothing to worry about at all, in my opinion, to buy a birkin/kelly without the rain coat.

The raincovers are cumbersome and look ridiculous, in my opinion. Too fussy. I just put my bag in a trash bin liner if I am unexpectedly caught in the rain (uncommon) and call it a day.

I agree with Hermes Birkin and the others.. You definitely will never use the raincover (or at least that's my guess!). I have never ever used mine, they are quite inconvenient in the end...

Oily, I understand your concern. You feel like you should get whatever it is that you would get from purchasing from the H boutique. I totally understand, but if the bag is perfect and you love it, get it. I have never used my raincoats...except most recently when I got caught in the rain going to H! The SA there was mortified and put a raincoat on my birkin.

You can always get a raincoat from H. If you are getting a 30cm, I will gladly send one of mine to you. I literally never use them.

If you love the bag, the raincover is the last thing you need to worry about. If you know your SA well enough, you can always get one for free. I asked for one once and she just popped one set out of a drawer and slipped it into my bag. No questions asked.

If you really want one, you can get a rain cover from Hermes. I bought a Kelly from pre-rainkit days and I just went in and asked for a set (I brought the Kelly with me). I keep mine in the bag just in case and actually used it when I got caught in a totally unexpected downpour. It's not that great protection and you would actually be better off with a plastic bag. But in a pinch it isn't bad. Definitely not the reason to skip the bag you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.