HELP! is Ebay seller able to refund money through PayPal?

chichi723

Apr 28, 2008
hi all, i'm a newbie to buying designer bags on Ebay...and unfortunately i won a fake JC ramona :cursing:...i received the bag today and i immediately emailed the seller asking if he/she can refund my $$$...(refund policy was not included):tdown:

can the seller refund $$ back into my PayPal account? (i paid thru paypal)
or do i have to use other methods to get my money back? (what other means are available?)
and what actions shall i take if the seller refuses to refund?? :crybaby:

thanks for all you tPF memebers' help! :heart:

The mods may move this to the ebay forum for you.

Yes, sellers can send refunds through paypal. Before waiting much longer, immediately file a paypal claim. Don't wait for the seller to respond. While some sellers are good about this, if this seller knowingly sold a fake, then they could be a scammer and if they drain their paypal account before you file a claim it lessens your chance of getting a refund.

What was the buyer protection? Was it over the $200? If not, be aware the max you can recover from Paypal is $200. Did you use a credit card through paypal (always do this!) If so, you can file a charge back through your credit card company. Go through paypal first unless the buyer protection is less than you paid.

In the meantime take plenty of clear pictures of the bag. Take pics of the Choo logos, the leather, the lilac ribbon, the hardware, etc.

Be prepared if the seller fights you on the claim to get an expert to authenticate it for you as a fake. I highly recommend Carol Diva. She costs about $50.00 for a rush letter and gets it to you in a day.

Next time, please post the bag in the authenticate this thread so we can take a look before you bid. 99.9% of the Choos on ebay are fake.

Good luck.

The mods may move this to the ebay forum for you.

Yes, sellers can send refunds through paypal. Before waiting much longer, immediately file a paypal claim. Don't wait for the seller to respond. While some sellers are good about this, if this seller knowingly sold a fake, then they could be a scammer and if they drain their paypal account before you file a claim it lessens your chance of getting a refund.

What was the buyer protection? Was it over the $200? If not, be aware the max you can recover from Paypal is $200. Did you use a credit card through paypal (always do this!) If so, you can file a charge back through your credit card company. Go through paypal first unless the buyer protection is less than you paid.

In the meantime take plenty of clear pictures of the bag. Take pics of the Choo logos, the leather, the lilac ribbon, the hardware, etc.

Be prepared if the seller fights you on the claim to get an expert to authenticate it for you as a fake. I highly recommend Carol Diva. She costs about $50.00 for a rush letter and gets it to you in a day.

Next time, please post the bag in the authenticate this thread so we can take a look before you bid. 99.9% of the Choos on ebay are fake.

Good luck.

thanks a milllion for replying so fast!!

after reading your advice, i opened a dispute on PayPal resolution centre already :tup:

the buyer protection at the time of listing was only up to $400, but i paid $510 altogether...and i funded the payment with my bank account (not through credit card :wtf:) so that means i cant file a charge back with my bank?! :confused1:

also, i'll be taking my evidence photos tmr under natural light...

one more question, how do i contact Carol Diva if needed?

i surely will post the links up for authentication next time before bidding!!! :P...i only found & joined this wonderful site AFTER winning a few designer items...luckily, they are all real~ :yahoo:...except this one :cursing:
thank you very much once again..

I recently heard that Caroldiva would not do Choo...but do go on the website and ask her. It is just caroldiva.com I think.
Hopefully the seller will just refund. It is true that most Ramonas,Mahala and Alex bags on ebay are fake. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

I recently heard that Caroldiva would not do Choo...but do go on the website and ask her. It is just caroldiva.com I think.
Hopefully the seller will just refund. It is true that most Ramonas,Mahala and Alex bags on ebay are fake. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

thanks...yeah...seller is now asking for proof from expert...:Push:

I had an experience with receiving a broken padlock on a Chloe paddington. I couldn't dispute with the bank because the purchase was on my bank account and not on a debit/credit card. The Paypal dispute/claim was found in the seller's favor. Be very specific with your wording if it goes to a claim. They are very particular and strict with their policies. I have learned now to always use a credit card. Paypal protection is bogus IMO.

thanks...yeah...seller is now asking for proof from expert...:Push:

Carol authenticated a Choo Ramona for my friend but we had supplied her with comparison shots between the fake and a real Ramona. If you have access to a real Choo in the style you bought, you might want to see if she will give it a go.

i've contacted Carol and she is willing to help~ :woohoo: ...i've sent her more detailed photos of this fake bag :mad: and am now waiting for her formal authentication letter to arrive...which i can then email to the seller...and hopefully he will agree to refund without giving me a hard time!! :yucky: (he is accusing me of ruining his good name on ebay...coz this will now be on his record)...:sweatdrop:

thanks guys for all your wonderful advice & assistance!! i'm soooo glad i joined!

I had an experience with receiving a broken padlock on a Chloe paddington. I couldn't dispute with the bank because the purchase was on my bank account and not on a debit/credit card. The Paypal dispute/claim was found in the seller's favor. Be very specific with your wording if it goes to a claim. They are very particular and strict with their policies. I have learned now to always use a credit card. Paypal protection is bogus IMO.

I guess that's why whenever they want to do an instant transfer or an eCheck when I'm paying through PP, I go in and change it to credit card. And then there's this page basically saying it's easier and "safer" to pay with your checking account.

I guess they say that so they don't have to refund you the money like doing a chargeback from your credit card. Those weasels! :cursing:

i've contacted Carol and she is willing to help~ :woohoo: ...i've sent her more detailed photos of this fake bag :mad: and am now waiting for her formal authentication letter to arrive...which i can then email to the seller...and hopefully he will agree to refund without giving me a hard time!! :yucky: (he is accusing me of ruining his good name on ebay...coz this will now be on his record)...:sweatdrop:

thanks guys for all your wonderful advice & assistance!! i'm soooo glad i joined!

Well perhaps if he wasn't selling you a fake designer handbag, his "good name" on eBay wouldn't be compromised.

You also have the option when filing a claim, to also file one through eBay stating that they are selling a counterfeit item. This might spice it up a bit and make him refund you, no questions asked. Especially if he is concerned about his reputation on eBay. :wlae:

Well perhaps if he wasn't selling you a fake designer handbag, his "good name" on eBay wouldn't be compromised.

You also have the option when filing a claim, to also file one through eBay stating that they are selling a counterfeit item. This might spice it up a bit and make him refund you, no questions asked. Especially if he is concerned about his reputation on eBay. :wlae:

is there a time limit for filing a dispute to eBay? like the PayPal dispute has to be opened within 45 days of payment and then escalated to a claim within 20 days after that if no mutual satisfaction reached...is that the same with eBay (how much time do i have from date of payment)??

is there a time limit for filing a dispute to eBay? like the PayPal dispute has to be opened within 45 days of payment and then escalated to a claim within 20 days after that if no mutual satisfaction reached...is that the same with eBay (how much time do i have from date of payment)??

I think eBay you have to wait at least a week before you can file a claim. And maybe 30 days thereafter??? Or is it 90 days? I'm sure it would be easy enough to find on their website, but I have filed NPB through eBay immediately the day that I'm allowed to.

I think eBay you have to wait at least a week before you can file a claim. And maybe 30 days thereafter??? Or is it 90 days? I'm sure it would be easy enough to find on their website, but I have filed NPB through eBay immediately the day that I'm allowed to.

I think you can escalate straight away, I escalated my last dispute after a few hours.