tariff or duty charge - shipping to Canada

I just received my bag today and it's gorgeous. I paid $479 + $20 shipping for it to be shipped to Canada. And I only have to pay 12% tax on $479...no duty charge. So the total only comes to $550. I am so happy and I am not sure why I wasn't charged duty. I cleared the item myself so I saved on brokerage too. :yahoo:I am ready to buy another one (just kidding). The SA I dealt with from Woodbury is Mie and she is wonderful.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• Gucci Princy tote 002.jpg
    Gucci Princy tote 002.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Gucci Princy tote 003.jpg
    Gucci Princy tote 003.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Gucci Princy tote 004.jpg
    Gucci Princy tote 004.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Gucci Princy tote 005.jpg
    Gucci Princy tote 005.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 108
I just received my bag today and it's gorgeous. I paid $479 + $20 shipping for it to be shipped to Canada. And I only have to pay 12% tax on $479...no duty charge. So the total only comes to $550. I am so happy and I am not sure why I wasn't charged duty. I cleared the item myself so I saved on brokerage too. :yahoo:I am ready to buy another one (just kidding). The SA I dealt with from Woodbury is Mie and she is wonderful.

Here are some pictures:

what a deal!! congrads :biggrin: :woohoo: could you tell me how i would go about if i were to clear the item myself. i've never done anything like that before.

Hi baybeesuga, the best is for you to call UPS directly and ask them how you can clear the item yourself...hence saving on brokerage. It's quite a long process. But please keep in mind that Gucci does not give out the tracking number which makes this process more difficult. Just mention to UPS that as a receiver, you will not be given the tracking number by Gucci because it's their company policy. The reason I ask you to call UPS is because UPS is Gucci's prefer shipping company.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Yeah, you don't have to pay duties on purses just the tax. Gorgeous bag. Strange how I was in a Gucci store in the US and they told me they don't ship to Canada. I guess only some gucci store ship and some don't. Congrats!

Yeah, you don't have to pay duties on purses just the tax. Gorgeous bag. Strange how I was in a Gucci store in the US and they told me they don't ship to Canada. I guess only some gucci store ship and some don't. Congrats!

Really?? ashy1, I had been charged at least 10% duty on my previous purchases on handbags.

I had to pay extra on my bag awhile ago that I bought from the US. Customs said there are no duties on purses you only had to pay the tax on it. Duties are extra taxes on top of the item. It depends on what the item is and where it's made. Not the same as pst and gst taxes that you pay. Then brokerage is the fee they add on for the service of clearing the item for you. So if you let UPS do all the work it really adds up.

It is quite strange. Maybe when I cleared my bag he (customs) assumed it was us made bag because us made products do not have duty. Anything outside us made like china or italy you have to pay.

So Gucci Outlet DO ship to Canada for $20? Wow that's really great to know! Now I'm so excited! I want to buy my first Gucci but don't want to pay retail here in Edmonton. I love tPF! So, qteestuff, did you just call Mie and asked her to send you an email
of what they have in the store? And you mention they will have a June sale? My dream bag is a Pelham. But it's way out of my price range. BTW, what does it mean to "clear an item"? TIA!

Congrats on your purchase! Your baby is so cute!