My first Birkin

mariadiva

May 4, 2008
hi everyone! I'm new to the site but I've just gotten my very first Birkin (thanks to my darling husband). Its the 35cm in blue jean with the palladium hardware. It is everything I ever hoped it could be. But I live in London and I'm terrified of the rain. Now it does come with a rain coat and I know about the spa service and everything but what I'm wondering is if there is any treatment I should do to it now to prevent potential damage from an unexpected rain shower. Is there a leather protector I should use or does it come pretreated. I asked the lady at hermes and she seemed to think it should be fine. But I do ordinarily leather protect my bags. Any advice??

congratulations on your new birkin!
i would love to see some modeling shots. i not sure what could be done against the rain but maybe some of the other ladies will. i would love to know myself.

Wow, Congrats Maria! What a wonderful DH you have. I am a new owner of my first H bag and am curious to see what others do for their leathers, too!

Congrats on your new birkin! Our birkins are twins! Enjoy her!

I carry a white plastic bag in my 35 birkin for unexpected downpours. I don't even bother carrying the rain coat that comes with it since it doesn't completely protect the bag in heavy rains, and it also adds to the weight of the bag. For my 30 birkin, I use the envirosax which fits the 30 perfectly.

Last edited:
Please confere the leather book in the reference section, it's a great resource. Also, it would help to post the leather here. ^_^

COngratulations! Enjoy your bag!:tup:

The raincoat is largely useless and difficult to use. I carry a huge folded up TK Maxx carrier bag in mine!!

What leather is your bag as clemence and togo are pretty good in the rain

Congratulations! I would carry a large plastic bag to put the Birkin in if there is an unexpected shower.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DO - A LARGE DRAWSTRING RUN-OF-THE-MILL WHITE PLASTIC GARBAGE BAG, (WHICH IS SUCH A CLASSY ADDITION TO THE BIRKIN!) SERIOUSLY, HOWEVER, THE LITTLE "RAINCOAT" IS MORE OF A "RAINCAPE" AND USELESS IN A HEAVY RAINSTORM, PARTICULARLY IF IT'S WINDY. AND, THAT LITTLE RAIN KIT JUST ADDS ADDITIONAL WEIGHT TO AN ALREADY HEFTY BAG.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW B. AND WELCOME TO THE CLUB.:yahoo: