Hey Every1 Your Thought Please !!!!!

i was looking to buy myself a Pearl necklace What Do u Guys think Of this ? If u know something better in the SAme price range PLEASE let me know thanks

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...87465-r+101323338+101323352-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t

I personally wouldn't go to tiffanys for pearls. Cultured pearls are supposed to be fairly cheap and although I'm sure they use high quality, well matched, high luster pearls, I think you can get equal quality elsewhere. If you're able to go to South Asia- i'm willing to bet you can get something made for that quality for a fraction of the price. I'm not huge on pearls, but I've gotten a few beautiful strands in China for dirt cheap. (>$10 for genuine pearl necklaces that were well matched and had pretty nice luster). If you're willing to spend into the hundreds, I don't see why you can't do much better. :smile:

KSammon, are you looking for a classic pearl necklace, or something more modern? These pearls are a more oval shape and the clasp is very modern and casual.
If you want to stick with Tiffany's, your options will be more limited. For $300, this necklace is very pretty (I have the matching bracelet) but the pearls are quite small. It's also a modern look, but dressier than the one you posted.
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...5-p+3-c+287465-r+101323352-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

You may also want to look at pearlsonly.com or Iridesse.com.
Iridesse is owned by Tiffany's, so they are very trustworthy. They have a big selection of pearl strands at various price ranges.
This one might be a good choice for you:
http://www.iridesse.com/Shopping/It...params=s+5-p+2-c+201797-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

Good luck- a pearl necklace is a staple and I wear mine all the time!

I personally wouldn't go to tiffanys for pearls. Cultured pearls are supposed to be fairly cheap and although I'm sure they use high quality, well matched, high luster pearls, I think you can get equal quality elsewhere. If you're able to go to South Asia- i'm willing to bet you can get something made for that quality for a fraction of the price. I'm not huge on pearls, but I've gotten a few beautiful strands in China for dirt cheap. (>$10 for genuine pearl necklaces that were well matched and had pretty nice luster). If you're willing to spend into the hundreds, I don't see why you can't do much better. :smile:

Those in China are freshwater pearls and can be purchased very cheaply. I think those on the Tiffany website are cultured akoya pearls from Japan, which are more expensive. They look rather alike in terms of size because technology has improved vastly in China and they have been able to produce larger sizes and perfectly round freshwater pearls when in the past they were smaller and shaped like rice.

Ksammon, did you read the other post that you have started? There were already a lot of suggestions. As I have mentioned before, I do not suggest going to Tiffany or Mikimoto as the important thing is quality For eg: if you buy a strand of AAA akoya pearls from a good jeweler, you will get a better quality strand than a AA or A quality strand from Tiffany or Mikimoto.

Those in China are freshwater pearls and can be purchased very cheaply. I think those on the Tiffany website are cultured akoya pearls from Japan, which are more expensive. They look rather alike in terms of size because technology has improved vastly in China and they have been able to produce larger sizes and perfectly round freshwater pearls when in the past they were smaller and shaped like rice.

Ksammon, did you read the other post that you have started? There were already a lot of suggestions. As I have mentioned before, I do not suggest going to Tiffany or Mikimoto as the important thing is quality For eg: if you buy a strand of AAA akoya pearls from a good jeweler, you will get a better quality strand than a AA or A quality strand from Tiffany or Mikimoto.

That's true, but I think both countries use akoya oysters (and therefore akoya pearls) now and the quality of pearls have improve by leaps and bounds in the last ten years or so. Here's an interesting link:
http://www.pearl-guide.com/akoya-pearls.shtml