My Level of Disgust w/ Kooba's Customer Service Reaches New Heights

KoobaMe

Hardware Junkie
O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
I ordered a bag from the sale early last Thursday afternoon...and it went through. The status went all the way up through "Pick Hold", which is the last step before shipment and usual changes to shipped the same day depending on time of purchase. This has been my experience in my previous purchases directly from Kooba - I've had no complaints as far as promptness of shipping before. I've also always appreciated their electronic system which usually prompts right away when an item goes out of stock (in my experience. I've not had an 'oversold' experience with them before). This bag hung around well after my purchase.

But then the status never changed. Today, finally, I get one of their famous impersonal e-mails telling me the item is no longer in stock. Huh? How did you pick and hold it if it doesn't exist? So I respond saying can you match the price of the bag on the remaining color of the same style (it's higher than the color I ordered). So far no response.... and I'm not foolish enough to believe they'll price match for the inconvenience but I thought I'd try.

What the h*ll is it about their customer service that is so....lacking? WHY is it so lacking?? Every person I've ever spoken with at IF, LP, Botkier, etc. has been friendly, personable and apologetic when there is a mix up or mistake or what have you. Kooba just rubs me the wrong way....you never fail to get the impression that they could care less about the customers as though their moto is "so what...there'll be another one along anyway." I feel like I've been hanging in there, loyal, through their recent less-than-stellar lines and customer service. This has me right at the edge of FINALLY giving up on them as a brand.

I'm probably over reacting....or am I?? :boxing:

Maybe I just need....chocolate..... :girlsigh:

I have had similar experiences with them. It's almost like they don't care.
That is why I recently sold my last Kooba on greedbay. Lackluster styles, bad CS.

I ordered a bag from the sale early last Thursday afternoon...and it went through. The status went all the way up through "Pick Hold", which is the last step before shipment and usual changes to shipped the same day depending on time of purchase. This has been my experience in my previous purchases directly from Kooba - I've had no complaints as far as promptness of shipping before. I've also always appreciated their electronic system which usually prompts right away when an item goes out of stock (in my experience. I've not had an 'oversold' experience with them before). This bag hung around well after my purchase.

But then the status never changed. Today, finally, I get one of their famous impersonal e-mails telling me the item is no longer in stock. Huh? How did you pick and hold it if it doesn't exist? So I respond saying can you match the price of the bag on the remaining color of the same style (it's higher than the color I ordered). So far no response.... and I'm not foolish enough to believe they'll price match for the inconvenience but I thought I'd try.

What the h*ll is it about their customer service that is so....lacking? WHY is it so lacking?? Every person I've ever spoken with at IF, LP, Botkier, etc. has been friendly, personable and apologetic when there is a mix up or mistake or what have you. Kooba just rubs me the wrong way....you never fail to get the impression that they could care less about the customers as though their moto is "so what...there'll be another one along anyway." I feel like I've been hanging in there, loyal, through their recent less-than-stellar lines and customer service. This has me right at the edge of FINALLY giving up on them as a brand.

I'm probably over reacting....or am I?? :boxing:

I have had similar experiences with them. It's almost like they don't care.
That is why I recently sold my last Kooba on greedbay. Lackluster styles, bad CS.

Did you really? Wow. Remember how many Koobas you had? And now none!

And while I'm ranting...why do they even bother having a box at checkout for a promo code? Has ANYONE ever seen a promo code for Kooba? I haven't ever come across one nor received one after any of my purchases.

KoobaMe, your rant is right on the mark. Kooba CS is dire. I remember e-mailing them a few times when I first started buying Koobas and they never even bothered to reply.

I too am whittling down my Koobas. Their styles have nosedived since the good old days of Lucys, Marcelles, Siennas, Jessies, Renees etc. Sigh, weren't those the days?!!

Not over reacting, KoobaMe...It's bad, bad..Do they think they're invincible??..rubbish customer service, styles off the wall on too many bags..very stupid for such a "young" company..there are too many gorgeous bags out there from companies willing to go out of their way to please, do they think we'll be loyal forever? Seems like most of us are moving on...

I am angry, just sitting here and reading your post. Just who does Kooba think they are? I just got off another forum where I stated that knowledge really is power, and since we have soooooo many members now, these companies should start realizing that word actually does get around, and because of just your one experience, it could turn off a whole slew of potential customers. I love my two Kooba bags, but I think I am done with them. They've come down in their quality, as far as the lining is concerned anyway, and I haven't heard one member say that the customer service was outstanding at Kooba. Unless I can get my Lola for under $200 bucks somewhere.....I am going to kiss them goodbye....but I will stick with the Kooba forum to see what is happening. I'm afraid no other Kooba will grace my closet.

Isn't this a shame? Such an amazing group of loyal followers we all were to Kooba not so long ago.....we practically built a shrine! :supacool:
Now, I wonder if perhaps the company either changed designers, changed administration somehow, or just don't care whether they sink or swim.
Obviously, the company does not make CS a high priority, nor do they train or care about their service reps enough to show them how important the customer is....and how fast word travels......I wish somehow they could be enlightened....

Out of the 19 Koobas that I owned, I now own 5. I own 4 Siennas and 1 blue Nelli. That's it. Everything else has left the building. I kept the Siennas for the simplicity of the style, the durability and the smell of that crazy good leather. The Nelli, well, she needs no intro. She's just so whackadoodle with that cut and stud style and in blue? Getouttahere....she's a Super Freak and I love her! But alas and alack....I've moved on.....

Poor poor Kooba....they don't know how they've messed up......:crybaby:

It IS a shame, isn't it? You are all so right on all of your points. I'm pretty well tired of the disturbing lack of customer service delivered with an attitude of "Who Cares". And Maggie.... I had the same thought. For such a 'young' company you'd think they'd be concerned about continually developing and *keeping* that customer base – building that brand loyalty. Maybe we no longer fit the profile or demographic. Who knows? I do know I've really tried to be fair minded about it....believing they were perhaps going through growing pains, change up in designers or admin as Jo mentioned. They wouldn't be the first designer to suffer a bad year or change direction in general. Some come out of it some don’t. One of you ladies mentioned the distinct difference between old Coach and current Coach in another forum recently. That point really stood out to me. Brands change.

The difference for me with Kooba here is that it’s combined with the rotten customer service....which is just bad business. CompassRose...you are SO right. One has to wonder if they are taking into consideration word of mouth and the potential of sites like tPF. All you have to do is look at the feeding frenzy we go into when a brand has a sale or a member posts a positive review of a bag to see it.

I’m so disheartened. I too will hang about the forum to see what’s up and talk about older styles and see what’s coming out, maybe even who I’m cheating on Kooba with but I don’t see myself being as fiercely loyal as I was even six months ago. I probably will siphon off some of my collection, which I think is still around 10 or so now from a high of 20 or more, and still skulk ebay for vintage deals but I’m feeling pretty well done with them.

P.S. I’d LOVE for someone to come in here and share a story of excellent customer service received.

The Nelli, well, she needs no intro. She's just so whackadoodle with that cut and stud style and in blue? Getouttahere....she's a Super Freak and I love her! But alas and alack....I've moved on.....

Poor poor Kooba....they don't know how they've messed up......:crybaby:

Jo, I love your description of the Nelli!!

Talk about timing. Did anyone else just receive the Kooba.com emailing re: Mother's Day. Here is the full text of it:

"The Perfect Gift for Mother's Day"

That's it. Underneath is a picture of three bags; Roni, Gracie and Jaylin.

People, how about kicking us down some free shipping at least? Additional discount maybe? Lord knows I spend more when there is a sale than I would have on one retail priced bag.

Add this to their Motto: "If you need a sale you can't afford our bags and aren't in our target demographic."

I was also just burned by Kooba! I was really psyched about finding a new Kooba black Ada on sale (have been dreaming about it all weekend). I have sent them several messages to check on the status and have not received a reply. I just called them today and they said that the item was sold out and the website is mistakingly selling Ada's after they were sold out, sorry charlie. Glitch in the Matrix maybe? Very bummed indeed! :crybaby:

I was also just burned by Kooba! I was really psyched about finding a new Kooba black Ada on sale (have been dreaming about it all weekend). I have sent them several messages to check on the status and have not received a reply. I just called them today and they said that the item was sold out and the website is mistakingly selling Ada's after they were sold out, sorry charlie. Glitch in the Matrix maybe? Very bummed indeed! :crybaby:

Too bad about your Ada! I feel your pain!:hugs: They must have had a really limited number of black Adas for them to sell out so quickly and give several of us false order processing info.

Glitch or no (and I do understand they happen)....why the heck did they not yet reply? You shouldn't have to e-mail repeatedly to get a simple answer. What's funny is that in the e-mail I finally received there is a canned note at the bottom asking that your reply include the text of the original message for tracking purposes as they have a "large number of customer service representatives." Really? Where?

I'm seriously going to sell off a couple of bags and go try a Belen Echandia. I've no problem paying big money when good customer service is part of the deal.

Hey NeedaKooba and KoobaMe....does this mean you're going to change your user names?? That's too bad about your bad customer service-that really turns me off and I was eyeing the new Ashey bag on Nordstroms (even though it's Nordstroms and not Kooba directly-why should we support Kooba anywhere?) :sad:

I really believe that Kooba is a company that will slowly hang themselves to death. We've heard so many stories lately about their poor customer service and less than stellar quality of the recent seasons of bags... they had SUCH a good thing going, but they keep pushing their loyal customers away. I'll buy older styles from other people, but I really hesitate to buy anything new, and if I did it would be through another company (and would have to be very marked down).

Very sad. But really, why keep giving them money when we can get bags from other companies for similar prices that are great and have great CS (like Linea Pelle, RM, etc... and other companies like Tano that are way less expensive to boot). Tsk tsk, Kooba. You're shooting yourself in the foot.