Is this metallic luxe bowler...Deerskin Or Goatskin??

HappyAngel

O.G.
Apr 23, 2006
I did a search on the forum about Deerskin & Goatskin, but still...I still can't tell them apart just by look at these pictures.........Can someone help please me out!! This bowler has the shimmery gloss & textured leather just like the goatskin, but someone told me that it's deerskin. I just want to confirm with you guys first. By looking at the serial number, can someone tell the difference? I am looking for the goatskin one though. Thanks in advance!:smile:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360044984153&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

janny328 which deerskin do you have? The black? I am curious as to whether other colors were released in the deerskin... I liked the texture of the deerskin more than that of the goatskin.

I'm pretty sure it's deerskin, especially based on the serial number. Metallic Goatskin Luxury bags are from 2006 which were 10 series bags.

I think it was Roey who has pictures of the goatskin and the deerskin side by side. As I recall she preferred deerskin and returned the goatskin.

Hi x joie

I have the black bowler... I *think* the bronze was also a deerskin edition... but only because I have seen one IRL from an acquaintance, and the feel was the same as mine (it didn't have the same sheen or look of the metallic goatskins).

Not sure about any other colors though, as those are the only 2 I'm relatively sure about.

Here is Roey's deerskin bowler vs. Minal's goatskin bowler. You can see a huge difference in sheen and texture. The one from the auction you posted is definitely deerskin.

attachment.php

Bowlinblackmetallicluxestyle.jpg

Thanks, Janny...I always thought that the deerskin should have smoother leather & the goatskin is more pebbly. :smile: Do you like goatskin better or deerskin?

I prefer the deerskin, but only because it seems as if the leather would wear a bit better. And while it had a metallic sheen to it, it's more subtle than the black metallic goatskin... it's kind of like a chameleon. The only reason I was initially swayed on the deerskin was because some people were having their problems with metallic goatskin bowlers and the color coming off. This only happened on the gold, and maybe some silvers too if I remember correctly. But I didn't want to chance it...

Sorry if my post was confusing, it is relatively smooth, but the leather looks more distressed, at least to me.

I'm pretty sure it's deerskin, especially based on the serial number. Metallic Goatskin Luxury bags are from 2006 which were 10 series bags.

I think it was Roey who has pictures of the goatskin and the deerskin side by side. As I recall she preferred deerskin and returned the goatskin.

Just went to check, and my deerskin is actually 10 series as well. From what I've been told from my SA's deerskin was only 1 season, and the bowlers that they re-released to the stores were goatskin... which might explain the one in the auction since it's an 11 series??

YES! :yes: Roey had both, but ended up returning the goatskin... for some of the same reasons as why I chose deer over goat. She just recently sold it though... maybe she can put her 2 cents in -as she was the one who helped educate me on the differences initially.

Just went to check, and my deerskin is actually 10 series as well. From what I've been told from my SA's deerskin was only 1 season, and the bowlers that they re-released to the stores were goatskin... which might explain the one in the auction since it's an 11 series??

Did they re-release the goatskin in 2007? I don't remember that. I bought my gold metallic goatskin bowler in the spring 2006 and from Roey's post she bought her deerskin tote in fall 2006. I would have expected the 11 series to be deerskin.

I guess one way to finally settle it is to ask the seller for a better picture of the tag, then we can compare the Y-codes and confirm goatskin vs. deerskin.

ETA: nevermind this is the auction that is for the bag only (no tags, no card, no box) so the seller won't be able to provide a picture of the tag.

Smoothoprter : Thank you for helping me with the authenication yesterday nite. Without you pointing it out, I don't even know that the metallic bowler has the deerskin & the goatskin leather version.:yes: Thanks!

janny328: Thanks for your response! I love the shiny finish of the goatskin one, but if deerskin seem to be more durable...I guess I don't mind having either one of them. LOL

Ladies: Take a look at this auction....the seller said that it's goatskin, but it looks like it has the finish of the deerskin in regular lighting (with no flash) >>>>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130214150399&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

Mon, I think they did re-release, because I know a lot more people were interested in goat vs. deer around the time I got mine... and I initially wanted the goatskin more, but had a hard time finding it. I finally "settled" on the deer, but lucky for me I ended up liking it more. A month or two after I got mine, there were many more goatskins available, so I think they did ship some more (don't know if that technically means they were "re-released") -but I know more became available after, (that's when Roey picked up the goatskin one) which would mean they have 11 series #'s?

Anyhow, Roey and my deerskins were actually from the same batch. She gave me the referral to her store, and ours are of the same shipment. So I think hers should be a 10 series too.

LOL, this is a big mystery to me though. I don't know if it makes any difference, but mine doesn't have the metal tag inside like the one in the auction. Do you remember if the original goatskin bowlers have those?

LOL, this is a big mystery to me though. I don't know if it makes any difference, but mine doesn't have the metal tag inside like the one in the auction. Do you remember if the original goatskin bowlers have those?

Brilliant! Ah well mystery solved then. The metallic goatskin bags from Spring 2006 definitely had the silver metallic tag on the inside and I know the deerskin bags did not. I had completely forgotten about that.

Unless... when the goatskin's were re-released they didn't come with metal tags?:confused1: