On the Verge of Buying My First Kooba!

Cathy_Mac

Apr 23, 2008
Hi, all! I am new to this forum and came across it while eyeing Kooba handbags online. I am a huge IF fan and own several of their newer and older (flashier) bags. I have never purchased a Kooba before but I think I have decided that my first Kooba will be an Elisha. I really love the style and size. I called a local NM store and they have one in brown and one in the bluish-lavender color. I think I am going to swing by this afternoon and check them both out...I am especially curious to see the blue bag. I know this sounds dull but I also want an Elisha in black. It seems so understated and practical (translation to some ears: boring). Wish me luck on my first Kooba foray!

Oh, I also considered the Devin...they are ALL so yummy! I think I will like the size of the Elisha more so. I don't do so well with smaller handbags.

That's what I'm thinking too.....I bought a bag off of ebay a few weeks back (LAMB Exeter in Cheetah Print) and it's GORGEOUS, but I think it's just too small for me :crybaby:

I think I may put that back on ebay and get an Elisha.....they look nice and squishy and lovely!

Yea. It happen to KoobaMe and myself. It's strong weird chemical smell. I had my bag for week and left it wide open, but the smell only faded a bit. People have made suggestions on ways to help, but after spending all that money, I just had to return it. I didn't want to have to work at making the bag right. I was sad. :crybaby:

Oh my god - it wasn't just me?? I'm so glad someone else commented on this!

I honestly believe that the lack of the formerly glorious and legendary Kooba leather scent in the newer bags is due to their now using different (thinner, in some cases) leather that is processed however it's processed and dyed however it's dyed. Some bags have little to no leather scent whatsoever (the Roni I borrowed) and some have this faint....chemical-ish smell (my black Jacinda and brown Kooba wallet). A couple of years ago the Sloane/Lena bags in bark had a fishy smell. Turns out it was the dye process for that particular color and it DID fade pretty rapidly, leaving a leather scent.

It may be that I notice it much more than others because I am allergic to artificial scents...as I say...I can smell a Sharpie uncapped at 300 yards. I'm just glad is wasn't just me!

Oh, I also considered the Devin...they are ALL so yummy! I think I will like the size of the Elisha more so. I don't do so well with smaller handbags.
The Devin is not a small bag! It would hold as much, if not more than an Elisha. The shapes are completely different though, as are the handles. The Devin has a round bottom and is like a big bucket. The Elisha is more narrow and tall. I actually loved the Devin I had, but found the shoulder strap to be a bit too long for my taste.

i love my Elisha in black. i have one in white too! after buying some colored bags, i realized i use my black and white the most. i feel like i've wasted precious money on my colored bags since i use them a lot less. i will stick to buying neutrals as they go with my outfits most easily.

Oh my god - it wasn't just me?? I'm so glad someone else commented on this!

I honestly believe that the lack of the formerly glorious and legendary Kooba leather scent in the newer bags is due to their now using different (thinner, in some cases) leather that is processed however it's processed and dyed however it's dyed. Some bags have little to no leather scent whatsoever (the Roni I borrowed) and some have this faint....chemical-ish smell (my black Jacinda and brown Kooba wallet). A couple of years ago the Sloane/Lena bags in bark had a fishy smell. Turns out it was the dye process for that particular color and it DID fade pretty rapidly, leaving a leather scent.

It may be that I notice it much more than others because I am allergic to artificial scents...as I say...I can smell a Sharpie uncapped at 300 yards. I'm just glad is wasn't just me!

You most definitely are not alone! I had posted in another thread that a SA at Saks told me they recieved a batch that had to go back due to the odor! It's terrible. Whenever I would walk past the bag, I could smell it, and it was not pleasant! So sad!

Hi, all! I am new to this forum and came across it while eyeing Kooba handbags online. I am a huge IF fan and own several of their newer and older (flashier) bags. I have never purchased a Kooba before but I think I have decided that my first Kooba will be an Elisha. I really love the style and size. I called a local NM store and they have one in brown and one in the bluish-lavender color. I think I am going to swing by this afternoon and check them both out...I am especially curious to see the blue bag. I know this sounds dull but I also want an Elisha in black. It seems so understated and practical (translation to some ears: boring). Wish me luck on my first Kooba foray!

I have a black Elisha. It is really elegant looking. I really love it!

Well, the deed is done and I purchased the Kooba Elisha in blue (more of a purplish blue than anything). It is a gorgeous bag but I have yet to wear it as I want to treat/protect the leather first. Any advice for that? I smelled it at NM, checking for an odd odor (I am sure they thought I was just indulging in the new leather smell) and it was OK. No other flaws or obvious discolorations like some other posters have mentioned about this color.

NM had a promotion through Saturday where you received a $200 gift card for a $500 or greater purchase, so I took advantage. I used the gift card towards a great pair of Robert Clergerie sandals that were way pricey (for me, at least). The gift card allowed me to buy them at a price I felt comfortable with, so there you go!

I have a black Kooba Elisa on the way, too. I am sure I will use that much more often than the blue but I liked the thought of a different color bag for spring. I don't often stray from black, brown, or tan handbags but think the blue Elisa will really pop with the right outfit! I will try to post pictures of my twin handbags when the black one arrives.