A little shocked...

guccidiva

Feb 10, 2007
I was browsing through stuff during the last Gap sale and was unpleasantly surprised that jeans that I used to buy for $5 are now almost $50 on sale?? I mean, how much better is the material/stitching these days? I looked carefully and noticed absolutely no difference. Needless to say, I bought nothing. Anyone else noticed the price gouging? No way I am paying $50 for Gap jeans when I just got super-duper SFAM jeans with all the bells and whistles for $50.

I was browsing through stuff during the last Gap sale and was unpleasantly surprised that jeans that I used to buy for $5 are now almost $50 on sale?? I mean, how much better is the material/stitching these days? I looked carefully and noticed absolutely no difference. Needless to say, I bought nothing. Anyone else noticed the price gouging? No way I am paying $50 for Gap jeans when I just got super-duper SFAM jeans with all the bells and whistles for $50.

I feel ya! From clothes to shoes & purses...

WHY in hell would I pay 50% off sales on e-bay chancing a fake when I can get 60% OFF plus a 25% coupon for a real purse at a big name department sale? Especially the internet sales that people think is "woohoo"... I usually do at least 20% plus better in savings plus I don't have to pay shipping when I shop "physically" for what I really want & for the "fit" without any heartaches of returns or exchanges.

My SFAM end up like $25, Ernest Sewn Vest (that fergie had on) $16 plus 25% off, a Malo coin purse for $19, 2 COACH rabbit fur coin purse at $20 each (where they are still $49 - $79 on-line "shipping not included").

Is why I don't shop for clothes/shoes/bags at any other stores (Target/Gap/OldNavy/Mall stores) than my own place that I "know"... getting some real deals that no-one can beat.

I asked my husband the other day if prices had really increased a lot, or was I just too old 'cause I can remember when 'cheap jeans' were under $20, not under $100. Of course, he said 'Baby, We're old' with a wink & a smile.

So, I can remember those super cheap prices when I really did have to pinch my budget. Now, the price of gas has more than tripled in 5 years - minimum wage & business expenses always keep moving higher - how long did we really think it was going to take until it was reflected in a higher cost of goods sold? I'm not even talking about designer labels where you pay premiums for a name. I don't like it, but it's not really that new - I just have more perspective than when I was 18. I try to only buy quality or items I truly 'love' or need. That's probably why my biggest splurges are actually on shoes - I can sew a dress or blouse myself that fit's better than most of the things I'm seeing off the rack.

Mmm, I have never found such deals like you guys :sad: my cheapest SFAMK where 90 dlls on sale at saks off fifth. I did get one pair once for 50 bucks but it wasnt even my size. I sold them on ebay for double hehe.

sure their prices are hiked..but isn't it everywhere else? with where the economy is going.. i think we need to accept the fact that not everything is going to be cheap like it used to be
p.s.
gap is actually having a decent sale in their stores right now..i got really cute blazers for twenty bucks, a cute summer dress for 16 dollars, and some really nice dress shirts for only 10 dollars!

I feel ya! From clothes to shoes & purses...

WHY in hell would I pay 50% off sales on e-bay chancing a fake when I can get 60% OFF plus a 25% coupon for a real purse at a big name department sale? Especially the internet sales that people think is "woohoo"... I usually do at least 20% plus better in savings plus I don't have to pay shipping when I shop "physically" for what I really want & for the "fit" without any heartaches of returns or exchanges.

My SFAM end up like $25, Ernest Sewn Vest (that fergie had on) $16 plus 25% off, a Malo coin purse for $19, 2 COACH rabbit fur coin purse at $20 each (where they are still $49 - $79 on-line "shipping not included").

Is why I don't shop for clothes/shoes/bags at any other stores (Target/Gap/OldNavy/Mall stores) than my own place that I "know"... getting some real deals that no-one can beat.

OMG where do you get jeans so cheap??? I've never seen a wash or cut that I wanted in my size discounted to that price level! Even w/ a coupon.

Just speaking for myself, but any good department store is at least an hour's drive from here. ITA that fit is a PITA online, but the idea of commuting on the turnpike just to shop doesn't appeal to me either. I so envy you girls with great stores nearby! :crybaby: