Changing majors

Dec 14, 2005
Hello everyone. I was curious, has anyone here has ever changed their major in college?

Right now I'm a business major and I have about a year left before I can graduate. I don't know what it is but I feel totally burnt out and unmotivated. A few years ago while Dh and I were living in AZ I took a photography course and loved it. I was thinking of changing my major from business to photography. I'm a little scared to take the leap because I would basically have to start all over. I would even have to change schools. Right now I just don't enjoy business anymore. I would hate to look back 10 years from now and be stuck in the corporate world and hate it.

I really want to take the leap but I'm scared. Any advice?

Hmmmm, that is really a big leap and a pretty big risk...especially since you are almost finished with your business degree. Would there be any way you would be able to just finish your degree in business and then maybe later go on to do photography?

Just because you have a degree in business doesn't mean you'll be "stuck" in the corporate world!!! There are soooooo many things you can do with a business degree ;)

Well hun, I went from being on the path of a BS in Exercise and Sport Science, to a BS in EXSS with a focus on sports writing (don't ask how we figured that one out, lol), to a BA in Philosophy with a minor in German. OK!!!??? That is from one end of the spectrum to the other!!! And to make it worse, I could have gotten a BS in philosophy if I wanted! heehee...but I'm kind of psycho, and I figured all that out by my sophomore year. If I were you, I would try to finish my business degree and then finish the requirements for photography. If you want my honest observation, any knowledge of business with some sort of documentation (a degree), will only help you with whatever else you want to do in life. Trust me on that one! I would have double majored in business and philosophy, if I were a lot smarter!

:smile:

I debated changing my major because I was burned out. I'm really glad I didn't because now that I'm out of school my love/hate relationship with chemistry turned out great in the industry.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but going forward in jobs whatever it may be a degree in business will be more useful than photography. You can always pursue photography.

I'd say stick it out, try to rediscover your passion for business, why did you pick it to begin with? Take some other classes to have more enjoyment in your school.

Hmmmm, that is really a big leap and a pretty big risk...especially since you are almost finished with your business degree. Would there be any way you would be able to just finish your degree in business and then maybe later go on to do photography?

Just because you have a degree in business doesn't mean you'll be "stuck" in the corporate world!!! There are soooooo many things you can do with a business degree ;)

I guess I could go into photography later. The chance will always be there if I still want it.

Your right about the job diversity in the business world. If I don't like something I could always find something else.

Well hun, I went from being on the path of a BS in Exercise and Sport Science, to a BS in EXSS with a focus on sports writing (don't ask how we figured that one out, lol), to a BA in Philosophy with a minor in German. OK!!!??? That is from one end of the spectrum to the other!!! And to make it worse, I could have gotten a BS in philosophy if I wanted! heehee...but I'm kind of psycho, and I figured all that out by my sophomore year. If I were you, I would try to finish my business degree and then finish the requirements for photography. If you want my honest observation, any knowledge of business with some sort of documentation (a degree), will only help you with whatever else you want to do in life. Trust me on that one! I would have double majored in business and philosophy, if I were a lot smarter!

:smile:

Wow Candace! I took one philosophy class in college and I struggled through that one!lol

I think part of my problem is impatience. I wish I was done already. I'm so sick of school!

I debated changing my major because I was burned out. I'm really glad I didn't because now that I'm out of school my love/hate relationship with chemistry turned out great in the industry.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but going forward in jobs whatever it may be a degree in business will be more useful than photography. You can always pursue photography.

I'd say stick it out, try to rediscover your passion for business, why did you pick it to begin with? Take some other classes to have more enjoyment in your school.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I think for now I'm not going to take any summer classes and just wait till fall rolls around to take any more classes. I would suck to quit when I've come this far.

Thanks again ladies for your advice I really appreciate it!:heart:

I think part of my problem is impatience. I wish I was done already. I'm so sick of school!

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I think for now I'm not going to take any summer classes and just wait till fall rolls around to take any more classes. I would suck to quit when I've come this far.

I know that feeling. I was completely overwhelmed in college. Take the summer off of school and do the things you've been wanting to do, see friends, read, etc. You'll go back recharged. No rush to finish school, I actually wished I stretched it out a little longer just by a quarter or two ;)

You sound like an over achiever like I was in college. I'll be enjoying my first summer off since I was 15 when my company folds in June. I'm excited to do nothing for a while (although I'll probably get bored quickly).

I changed my major about a billion times in college, and transferred schools a few times too. As long as you don't mind taking some extra time to finish, it's really not a big deal.

I hated business school too! I was a Marketing and International Business Administration double major for a couple years, but I ended up with a BA in English. I got an internship in publishing and from there I ended up working on layout editing and design. I always wanted to do something creative and my parents fought me every step of the way. The only reason I went to business school in the first place was because they wanted me to do something "practical."

It's your degree so you should definitely do what makes youhappy! If you know you'd be happier doing something else, go for it! If you really love what you do and you're willing to work hard at it, you can be successful, even if it's not a "practical" choice. KWIM? Also, you probably will enjoy school a lot more if you're interested in what you're studying.

I always play things a bit on the safe side. I think a business degree is more marketable than photography. You can always go back, great point. Once you've got a degree already, sometimes there is not much work to do, even at a new school. Does your current school have any type of photography program- even a minor or certificate program? That would a great option if it did.

I switched my major a few times and it put me back a couple of years. Maybe you can minor in photo? I wouldn't switch my major since you're almost done with your degree. Personally, I think you are more likely to find a job in business compared to photography. IMO.

Wow - if your impatient, then don't change your major! If you only have one more year, then finish and move on. Take the photo classes as electives to help get you through!

I changed my major my last year in college, but it was so close to my original major that nearly all of my courses worked in the new department. I had one year of coursework to complete in my new major so it was fine.

You can always change gears after school too - completing an advanced degree in a totally different field is not unusual.

Do they have any minors available in your school? Could you do a photography minor in addition to your business major? That may give you the extra oomph to chug along and finish the business stuff!

I swithced majors 3 times and went to 4 different Universities. Changing schools was the stupidest thing ever, i would strongly advise against it. I don't think switching majors is that big of a deal, most counselors can figure out a way to utilize your courses. If I could do it all over again, I would remained at one school and stuck with my initial major. It cost me two extra years! Luckily I started quite young, and Ill be graduating at 22.

i'd say go ahead and finish your business degree - you can always start a photography degree after that, and a business degree will serve you well in all kinds of industries, including creative ones. you'll never be at a DISADVANTAGE because you have a business degree, kwim?

Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful advice!

Unfortunately my college does not offer a photography minor. Its offered only as a major.

For now I'm just going to relax and enjoy my summer. I think once I have a few months off I will be able to refocus and finally finish my degree.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate all the advice.:heart::flowers: