Is it really that difficult to get a Birkin in NY?

Aug 14, 2006
Hi Everyone - This is my first post in this forum, (I'm always in the LV forum ) and I'm thinking of putting myself on a wait list for a Birkin.
I've been reading all of your posts once I decided to do some research on the Hermes brand and my first impression was "there's no way I'll be able to get my hands on a Birkin bag", but then I decided to call my local shop, and the SA on the phone told me that all have to do is come in the store in June and put in my order. Is she for real? Or is it just easier in NY? Just wondering if someone can shead some light on this. I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.
TIA.

Wow is that in June at all the H stores nation wide?

I think perhaps mooks is talking about the UK system?

That's not at all how my local US boutique works. There's no waitlist, but they actively take orders for about 6-8 weeks or more before podium, and they've taken my "wish list" and orders year round.

I think other, smaller US boutiques have a similar policy on their order list as mine does. I don't have the slightest idea about NYC, though, La Moda. Since it's the flagship, it might be different.

i cant comprehend an SA at Madison or Wall Street saying this to someone that had never been in before............The lists are still closed "officially" at Madison. However --if that is not the case then thats great!

Congratulations, let us know what you decide to order!

My experience with both the Mad Av and Wall st store is that you let your SA know what you want and they put it through at next podium (or as a special order if it's not offered at the podium) , the waiting lists are 'officially' closed as Hermesaholic says.

Hi again - thanks for all your information. The store I was referring to is the one in Manhasset, NY (sorry for not being specific). She didn't mention a specific date. All she told me was to come in June because the owner was going to Paris in July. We'll see!! I'll be walking in the store on June 1st!

One more question - which is the most durable, light weight leather? And what hardware should I request? Anything else I should know would be greatly appreciated.

Most durable leathers are generally considered to be togo and clemence with togo being slightly lighter, although I'm sure someone else will say something different. Clemence will slouch and togo won't so you need to decide if you like the slouchy or structured look

As for hardware, what colour bag are you going for? My personal preference is palladium unless I were to get a gold bag....which I wouldn't!

Hi again - thanks for all your information. The store I was referring to is the one in Manhasset, NY (sorry for not being specific). She didn't mention a specific date. All she told me was to come in June because the owner was going to Paris in July. We'll see!! I'll be walking in the store on June 1st!

One more question - which is the most durable, light weight leather? And what hardware should I request? Anything else I should know would be greatly appreciated.

WOW how fun! durable and light weight would be epsom. hardware is personal. gold is classic and maybe a bit dressier on say black. silver is lovely as well and tends to a sportier look but i have both and love both.

Thanks everyone - I'm actually thinking about red. I wear a lot of red and have other clothes in other colors that complement red tones. It would have to be a neutral red. (not orangy or too blue) Any recs? I love both silver and gold hardware, although I tend to be more on the casual side. I guess my decision would be based on what would look better on a red bag?

Maybe I should stop in the store today, hopefully it won't be too busy and I can do some research.

And thanks again - you have no idea how helpful all your input is.