The Graduation Gift (a frustrated story)

jessi5786

O.G.
Sep 17, 2007
Hey Everyone

I went to Short Hills today with my mom to pick up the Tivoli PM she and my dad are buying for my graduation gift. I had her order it over the phone pre-increase, it was the last one left in New Jersey.

So we drive an hour to Short Hills to pick up the bag, the LV store is busy as usual...I felt bad that those people probably could've made those purchases pre-increase but didn't know about it (yay for tPF!), and I make my way to the register. No SA has yet approached me to ask if I need help and we've been standing there for a good 15 minutes.

Finally, I approached one that looked free at the moment, so I asked for the SA who took my mother's order via phone, but she's left for the day, and so I ask for the sales floor manager, who the SA told my mother to ask for if she was not available.

I ask politely: Can you tell me who the sales floor manager is?

He says, without even making eye contact: We'll be with you in a minute.

That gets me irked for starters, but I try to hold it in and not be sensitive about it. I tend to look young for my age and that type of reaction from SAs is typical...I should mention that the older ladies who are paying at the register are also giving me "the look," although I don't understand why...

So when we finally get his attention, he comes out with a bag...the bag is all creased and worn and has some dirty white spots on it. The Tivoli, in just the dust bag, no box although I didn't really expect one, appears to be in okay condition, but the zipper does not have the protective blue sticker on it, again...not really expecting it, but it would have been an added bonus.

So I check out the bag, and although there are some minor imperfections that I would like to inspect further, we take it. I ask for a box and he takes my purchase to the bag and returns with the bag in a box, in the same beaten up brown bag which is stuffed to capacity because it is a bit too small for the box.

My mom asks for another bag because it is too small, but he says there are no more big bags...but there's another customers with purchases and they have the larger bags...

So we leave...and the security alarm goes off, getting the attention of the entire store...but anyway, I decide I will wait until other stores have the bag in so I can compare mine with others before making my final decision, but we stopped at the Neiman Marcus LV just to see if they might have one on display or something...

So I tell the SA I'm looking for the Tivoli PM and she says they're all sold out and asks if I want to go on the list.

I tell her, I just bought one...and she cuts me off and says, than what more do you want? Ignoring this comment, I tell her I'd like to compare the one I bought with others because there are some minor things and

She says: "They're all exactly the same. If there are any imperfections the bag is discarded at the factory."

So I tell her, umm actually there are quite a few with imperfections that manage to slip out...otherwise we wouldn't have entire threads dedicated to them on tPF (the last part, I don't mention of course)

I basically say there are minor differences from bag to bag and she says, well, that's because they're man made...but wait, didn't you just tell me they were all exactly the same?

I'm sorry for the long post, but I just had to vent my frustration! I know I probably sound really picky and anal but I think that we deserve a certain level of service when we are paying that much for a bag...and it's not just that, the bag was supposed to be my graduation present, which my mom mentioned to the SA at LV, but he didn't even bother to put a ribbon on it or anything...I mean, we even had to ask for the box. It just made me feel disappointed and the attitude from the SAs made it even worse...

What should have been a present that was just supposed to make me feel happy and represent this happy occasion, has ended up frustrating me...Now I'm not even happy that I got the bag even though I've wanted it since I first saw it...KWIM?

Sorry again! Hope you guys still :heart: me after listening to me whine

You bought the bag?

Once the blue sticker is off- there are 2 possbilities- it is a show piece or it is a returned bag.

I had a similar encounter once years ago. The SA was trying to sell me a bag and I notice minor defects on it. Lo and behold, I unzipped the bag and saw a note stated: RETURNS. That was obviously a returned piece.

You bought the bag?

Once the blue sticker is off- there are 2 possbilities- it is a show piece or it is a returned bag.

I had a similar encounter once years ago. The SA was trying to sell me a bag and I notice minor defects on it. Lo and behold, I unzipped the bag and saw a note stated: RETURNS. That was obviously a returned piece.

I did buy the bag because we bought it pre-increase, so we could just do an exchange later, but now that I've brought it home and had a more thorough inspection it does look used...there are wrinkles on the vachetta and there's a dirty patch on one part as well.

Sorry to hear this!! I got the same kind of reaction when I went to buy my Tivoli PM last month. They happened to have several in stock and my SA (very nice and accommodating, btw) was very helpful and actually brought out every single one they had for me to look at, but another SA who was standing nearby actually laughed out loud at me when I told her I wanted to compare them so I could make sure I got the best one and explained that I had been told that some of them had minor imperfections. She actually laughed at me, out loud!

The Tivoli was my first LV, so I was determined to not let it ruin my experience, and although the "nice SA" (the one I consider mine now) approached us almost immediately asking if we needed help, I was still amazed to be treated that way by the other SA.

Either way, it's your bag and you're paying $1000 for it, not the SA, and you should be happy with it even if you have to inspect 100 of them to find the one that you're satisfied with!

You bought the bag?

Neither my Tivoli or my wallet had the blue stickers on them when I bought them. I've read some posts saying that the SA's remove these at some stores before boxing them up? I inspected my bag before deciding which one I wanted and didn't see any flaws, so no harm done either way. I went back a couple of hours later to get the wallet but forgot to inspect it and noticed a few scuffs on the zipper pull when I got home, but nothing that irked me too badly so I never made the 2 hour trek back to the store to exchange it. I called the store asking about the zipper and they told me to polish it with brass polish and bring it back if it didn't work, but I've read posts here saying the pulls are just coated and not solid brass. Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious why they would tell me that if it's just coated and not solid brass... ?

^^ Yes, interestingly, every city is different. When I was in Japan, they showed me a bag with blue sticker. When they brought it back to box it up, they removed the blue sticker.

You bought the bag?

each boutique have different procedure about blue protective stickers, mine removes them plus the plast and paper guards upon unpacking from receive shipment, so at least at the boutique i frequent in, you will never see a bag w/those things on unless you specificly ask before they recieve shipment.

Back to topic~i share similar experience w/you, ordered an Audra from different state, noticed it's actually a display with darker patina than some of my bags, but local boutique refuse the exchange b/c it's not in their sellable condition. I just have to send it back and ask for refund :s Definitely know how you feel about SA's reaction, a HOT bag does not justice the fact it's ok to pay 100% and get a not so perfect bag. Speak your concern w/whoever took the order, ask to exchange for a brand new one in perfect condition as soon as they have it in stock. good luck:flowers:

I'm sorry for your bad experience, I would return that bag asap before they think that you used it and caused that patch you're talking about. It'd be worth paying the raised price to get a brand new bag, imo.

Sorry to hear this. But don't allow them steal your joy. This is your graduation gift and it should be in 100% new condition. I'd take it right back and get another.
And congrats on graduation!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

So sorry to hear about this. When I first started buying LV, I also encountered a lot of attitude from SAs and it took a lot of effort to find a good SA, who I have since stuck with. Your new bag is a graduation gift and should be special and joyful - I would return it and wait for a new one to come in. It will be worth it.

So sorry to hear bout your bad experience. I totally get you on the looking-young-hence-getting-bad-treatment bit. :flowers:

It just helps to find a nice SA and stick with that one so you know the service level you would be getting.

Congrats on your graduation! :yes:

sorry to hear about your terrible experience, and at short hills too - the mall i frequent the most while home! my sa at the lv in nm is supernice and sweet, but i'm afraid she wouldnt be able to help much with an exchange if you purchased it at the regular boutique. if you plan on making any more purchases tho, pl pm me and i'll provide you her name.

What a shame, do not let this bag dampen this special occasion, your graduation! First call the SA via phone that held the bag for you and let her know of the wrinkles and dirt patch area and tell her you wish to bring it in and exchange it. If they do not have another in stock, simply tell them to hold one for you when they do get one (your store can get one transferred in from another store per LV customer service). You want to take the bag you have now in ASAP even if they do not have an immediate exhange availble. I say this so you do not have difficulty exchanging it or having LV be hesitant accepting it back thinking you used it. The longer you wait to return, the more likely LV will believe it was carried or used. Good Luck and congratulations on your upcoming graduation!

Sorry to hear about such a bad experience. Definitely return the bag right away and wait for a new one. Inspect carefully before leaving the store. Congrats on your upcoming graduation!