Duty costs

djfmn

Massaccesi Little Muse (acid green nappa)
O.G.
Mar 30, 2006
I am about to purchase my first BE and wanted to ask what the costs have been for shipping from the UK to the USA and also if you have had to pay any Duty. I looked on the US Govt website and it indicates that if the goods are $800 or less you are not required to pay any duty. Have I understood this correctly or not? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:smile:

TPF members get free shipping. I think the code is shipme. If the package is sent by Royal Mail, we don't get charged customs. If sent by DHL, than there is customs on top of a brokerage fee.

djfmn ~ if you purchase directly off the BE web site, include "ship me" for free shipping, as tPF ladies indeed get free shipping. :yes:

There is customs duty and its respective tariff rate is 8%, although I got hit with an incorrect customs duty invoice from DHL with a 20% tariff rate, which I am now protesting.

BTW, I'm in the US ~ and, welcome to our new BE forum!!! :yes:

I am about to purchase my first BE and wanted to ask what the costs have been for shipping from the UK to the USA and also if you have had to pay any Duty. I looked on the US Govt website and it indicates that if the goods are $800 or less you are not required to pay any duty. Have I understood this correctly or not? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:smile:

I got hit with a fee as well. I contacted Jackie as there was no mention of a fee anywhere when I purchased this bag. She replied it wasn't really her duty to inform buyers of the fee, but she agreed as a customer service it should be mentioned somewhere so one knows when they get the bill out of nowhere.

I got hit with a fee as well. I contacted Jackie as there was no mention of a fee anywhere when I purchased this bag. She replied it wasn't really her duty to inform buyers of the fee, but she agreed as a customer service it should be mentioned somewhere so one knows when they get the bill out of nowhere.

What shipping method was used and how much was your fee?

Thank you for all the responses. Now I have to decide which style I like with all the help including all the posts on the BE forum as well as all the amazing photos it will not be too difficult. Thanks for the welcome to the BE forum.

TPF members get free shipping. I think the code is shipme. If the package is sent by Royal Mail, we don't get charged customs. If sent by DHL, than there is customs on top of a brokerage fee.

Is there any way to ask BE to send the package using Royal Mail and not DHL. I have always found that using DHL has been more expensive in every aspect vs the other carriers. :yes:

I believe that if you order more than one bag, BE will automatically ship using DHL, so it may be best to specify your request when you place your order - just as a reminder.

Also, gals, if anyone does receive a customs duty invoice with the most recent shipments (via Royal Mail), could you please post? I was under the impression that while Royal Mail makes it a little harder to discern that the item is from a store, customs duties may still apply if your package is inspected and doesn't slip under the radar.

When two or more bags are ordered, specifying Royal Mail over DHL doesn't matter. They automatically ship via DHL. Aside from being charged custom duty, there are tremendous benefits to DHL. It is FAST, and their tracking is superb bar none.

I emailed Jackie/Ashley directly to get my latest order of two handbags shipped via Royal Mail. It arrived in separate boxes because of Royal Mail weight restrictions.

I believe that if you order more than one bag, BE will automatically ship using DHL, so it may be best to specify your request when you place your order - just as a reminder.

Also, gals, if anyone does receive a customs duty invoice with the most recent shipments (via Royal Mail), could you please post? I was under the impression that while Royal Mail makes it a little harder to discern that the item is from a store, customs duties may still apply if your package is inspected and doesn't slip under the radar.

I've not ordered from BE yet, but I have ordered from another UK company that sells very nice boots (Duoboots) and they ship via Royal Mail to the US and I've never been charged duty on those packages.

I must've lucked out, because I wasn't charged a duty fee by DHL when my LMM was shipped. I also received another bag via Royal Mail. Both packages arrived within 5 business days (east coast), though DHL has better tracking; Royal Mail's is non-existent.

I have never been charged in the U.S. (knock wood) for my BE's. So it is a very random procedure.

I was charged, however, when I had the bag sent to Zurich, to my brother's place. About $38 US.

Sigh. That's the price we pay for such exclusivity, I guess.